Proposed Ranking System For Season 4

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

I'm sure Riot is currently working on what the ranked system will look like for season 4. Despite their claim that more players are playing ranked than before, there has been overwhelming community feedback saying that the "LP" system used in season 3 is hard to understand, frustrating and in some cases doesn't make a lot of sense.

So here's what I propose:

First off, show us our MMR again. I've yet to hear an explanation from Riot as to why we can't see our rating and why it needs to be hidden behind a league and division. Players want to know how they stack up compared to others. It makes no sense that someone in Gold V can have a lower MMR than someone in Bronze. Your rating should directly correlate to your MMR in a logical way that is easy to understand.

The leagues and divisions were introduced to give people objectives to strive towards. This is not a bad concept. So my idea is to create leagues and divisions that are based off of percentages of the player base, not off arbitrary numbers. For example, Diamond could be the top 0.1%, Platinum could be the top 2%, Gold the top 10% and so on. If they want to create new tiers, or shuffle the existing ones around so that there aren't so many people lumped into Bronze and Silver, that's fine.

So how does this work? Every night at a certain time, the server will check it's database and determine where the tier lines are. Player's tiers are then updated based on their rating and the tier lines. What this means is that your tier can change without you playing any games. One day, gold might be at 1480 MMR, and overnight that could go up to 1485. Everyone between those numbers would be demoted to Silver. Before you decide this is unfair, it doesn't happen arbitrarily. Gold will still be the top 10%. So if you get demoted, it means you need to rank up to stay in the top 10%.

The tiers can be divided into divisions like they are currently if Riot so chooses. For example top 4% to top 2% could be gold 1, 6%-8% could be gold 2, etc.

This system also solves the problem of league anxiety. This season, Riot made it so that people couldn't be demoted, to solve the problem of people being afraid to play because they might fall a tier. With this system, there will always be people looking to take your spot. Every tier will be like this year's challenger, although the total number of spots in each tier will increase as more players become ranked. If you barely make it into a tier and then stop playing, you will fall out of that tier as others take your spot. So you will have to play to maintain your spot in a league or division.

I would suggest that for the first 2 weeks or so of the new season, all players be unranked, even if they have completed their placements. Once a sufficient number of players have been placed, the system can create the tiers and give players their rankings.

Overall this system promotes competition. Your rating directly relates to how well you are doing compared to other players. Since players have to play to keep their spots, people will play more ranked games, which is what Riot wants. It solves the league anxiety problem without having ridiculous situations where a Gold player has Bronze MMR.

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know. If you like this idea, please bump so that Riot can see it and hopefully will respond.

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

Bump for discussion

Archangelus

09-18-2013

This is an interesting idea, but it has its flaws like every other system. In this season, you could get to gold and play one ranked a month, and still get rewards. Your proposal would really discourage the casual playerbase from playing ranked at all. Still, I like the idea that you have to work for your ranking. It would provide a motivation and incentive for the really competitive players, which is great.

Matake

09-18-2013

tl;dr but i read the first part. lp is extremely easy to understand i don't see whats complicated about it.

Zhugan

09-18-2013

Bad system. Losing a ranking that you earned due to a change in what qualifies you for your rank is ****.

Talk about moving the goalposts.

Maelious

09-18-2013

Terrible numbers, Gold is much more than the top 10%, it is more around 30~%

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelious View Post
Terrible numbers, Gold is much more than the top 10%, it is more around 30~%
The numbers aren't the point, they can be changed and the idea stands.

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhugan View Post
Bad system. Losing a ranking that you earned due to a change in what qualifies you for your rank is ****.

Reserved to adress this after my game

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhugan View Post

It's a different way of defining the goalposts. Instead of saying that gold is for example, 1500 MMR, you say that instead it's the top 10% of players. The % doesn't change at all, hence the goalposts are not moved. In fact, setting a static MMR rating to define tiers means that an increasingly large percentage of the player base earns that rating, as the ladder expands over the course of the season. So for example at the start of the season gold might only be top 8%, wheras at the end of the season it might be top 15%. So from that point of view, the goalposts move as well.

Maybe other people disagree, but I think that setting ratings as a percentage makes mroe sense than setting it at a static number who's meaning changes over the course of a season. I think it's more meaningful if gold means "top X percent" rather than "an arbitrary number that could encompass any percentage of the playerbase".

asdfghjkl 7

09-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matake View Post
tl;dr but i read the first part. lp is extremely easy to understand i don't see whats complicated about it.
I understand the LP system, but it is somewhat complicated. Why does one player gain 5 LP for winning and lose 20 for losing, while another player gains 25 for winning and loses 17 for losing? Why do my LP gains drop significantly when I jump a division? Why did I gain 0 LP for winning my last game? And most importantly, if my MMR is the number that really matters, why can I only see my LP?