Question for coders

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JackalHide

12-10-2010

If all data is kept on LoL servers (so we can't hack the game) then why do we need to download such large files every time a new patch comes out? I mean aren't the files with champions properties like attack damage and movements speed downloaded onto our computers?

Khalandar

12-13-2010

HUD, models, skins, audio and artwork for 61 characters adds up

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-14-2010

I don't work at riot but i code and hosted a private server for Aion a while back, and to answer your question "Correct me if im wrong riot". When you download a patch, you basically re-download the full files for everything they are patching (ie: Kat gets a buff you download everything in the hero_pak client under katarina) but what happens after that is. The game patcher will then erase the old copies of your file basically put like this. if you have version 115 and your downloading version 116 the patcher will download 116 install it then delete the 115 version make sense? your not actually downloading that many megs/gigs worth of info because half of it gets deleted after the patch is complete hope this answers your question bud. - iKota