Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

FUNDED Petition - Camera Balance!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pissfer

Recruiter

09-30-2013

I'm not saying you intentionally misled anyone. However, there is a vertical part to the system there that makes it look slightly different. It's not an immense difference, but it is there. Yes, there is still a massive difference between playing upwards vs playing downwards. I'm just saying that you chose the WORST place on the map to show the difference because that's where it's most amplified. It's in the programming of how it works, and nothing else. A very minor difference, but it's there. If you'd done the pictures to the top of the stairs, I would have less issue, though it would still appear a little different.

And I'm not saying there doesn't need to be change. Stop making me out to be some monster who's telling you to "get better and play unlocked". I would still advocate that - I do believe it makes you better - but that isn't why I'm here, not in this thread. I'm here to try to explain points that maybe you haven't thought about, or correct minor misnomers that have come into your thoughts when you think about this.
For instance, using locked screen in a teamfight has very minor effects - if you're in an all-out brawl, especially close range, it's not going to be that important for the screen positioning because you're going to see everything anyways. If you're not in the middle of the fight, it's not really going to matter because you're not going to lose yourself amongst the mass of characters, and if you happen to get displaced into the mayhem and do lose yourself, where your screen is locked is most likely the least of your worries.

Sorderon

09-30-2013

Quote:
Pissfer:
but that isn't why I'm here, not in this thread. I'm here to try to explain points that maybe you haven't thought about, or correct minor misnomers that have come into your thoughts when you think about this.

The ONLY points you've brought up in this thread are:

(1) the pictures are somehow misleading (which you still have failed to explain logically)
(2) this problem is only for a much smaller percentage of the LOL population than myself and others make it seem (when we only say this is a BIG problem for the players with locked screen)

--

So...exactly what points have I made that you are saying I haven't thought about? What misnomers have come into my thoughts that you are trying to correct me on?

That IS what you're here for right?

Pissfer

Recruiter

10-01-2013

I haven't failed to explain the pictures logically. The LITERAL problem is that in the system that League of Legends is played on, the bases are slightly higher.

For a more indepth explanation, let's say we were standing on the Blue summoner platform in real life. If you look towards the bottom lane, that's the Z-axis. If you look towards the top lane, that's the X-axis. If you look straight up, that's the Y-axis. What I'm saying is that those steps do actually have some depth to them on this Y-axis. What this means is that when you put a line down towards the camera it will actually appear shorter and when you put a line down away from the camera it will seem longer, even MORE so than it typically does.

And if this is not true, and you have proof of that, then bring that forward. However, all you keep telling me is that I'm wrong even though I have explained this a number of times. If this is the final way that you need it explained to know what I'm talking about, then ok.

As to representation of numbers, all you have to do is go back and look at what my original post referred to:

Quote:
Saydene:
And Riot should be viewing these posts as a representation of their player base, not just a couple hundred bucks. If this many people talk about it on the forums, how would it affect the full population of the game?

I was referring to that quote, as was explained by me directing my post towards Saydene.

So in complete answer: My point about the pictures you had never logically REFUTED (which is just as important) and the point about representation was in reference to someone else, which then ended up getting blown out of proportion because you're trying to convince me of something I already know and agree about, but am trying to "keep it real". So Sorderon, please don't mention the numbers again. But the pictures? Go right ahead, especially if you have proof opposed to what I'm fairly sure is true.

EDIT: I did just re-read our discussion so far, and I do see that in the second post you acknowledged that you knew that I was talking about the stairs, but that did not confirm to me that you understood that you knew what I was referring to, nor did you prove that the stairs do or do not have any effect, you simply said they do not. Honestly, the difference isn't going to be more than about 20 pixels probably, but I am fairly sure there's a difference there.

Sorderon

10-01-2013

Got it...you're just trying to 'keep it real' by saying that the picture on the stairs is distorted due to the z-axis. I would have difficulty having a hyper technical discussion to that point, however I understand what the z-axis is. I do not see how it's applicable to this still. What you seem to be referring to is perception over reality; that the stairs look longer than they actually are.

Purple side's view of the skill shot has the screen ending at the third step while blue's side sees all five steps and then a significant (at least as far as the steps take you) into the forest.

Yes, the further up the screen your camera pans covers a larger distance of gameplay than when you walk into that area...in that regard there is a 'zoom' effect the further outside your centered screen you look.

In that regard, that only EXACERBATES the discrepancy and couldn't be argued that it diminishes it.

So yes, I think I'm beginning to understand that you're pointing out that the z-axis creates a progressively further zoomed out view of the map area the further up the y-axis (on your screen) you look (the z-axis of the game), but I still fail to see how pointing this out as making the pictures misleading comes together as a logical argument.

You're arguing that because the fact of the game creates this zoom on the z-axis of the game, it somehow is misleading to display that discrepancy.

Your point still makes no sense in that these pictures are misleading.

Lucid Disciple

10-01-2013

i would absolutely love this change, ill pledge 35 dollars to it too.

Pissfer

Recruiter

10-01-2013

Sorderon, it's not the Z-axis that's the issue, it's the Y-axis. The stairs have a portion of Y-axis difference to them that exacerbates the difference between the top and bottom slightly more than other places on the map.

However, I would not be overly surprised if I actually was incorrect on this, but I am fairly sure that it's a little bit off.

Sorderon

10-01-2013

yea...i'm done talkin about this pissfer...if you have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the conversation...i'll respond to that.

Sorderon

10-03-2013

up to $615 Riot...anyone care to take 10m out of their day to write some code for the next patch?

Grand Master Poe

10-03-2013

I don't see why Riot cant just allow us to customize the interface. If I'm playing Purple side I would like my hot-key bars and map to the top of the screen and if I'm playing blue have them to the bottom of the screen.

It's that simple.

Sorderon

10-03-2013

i wouldn't be opposed to that grand master if it were still the same amount of viewable area