Teemo Toplane: AD or AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSc0tty

09-12-2013

No, this is not a total noob thread. I realize that AP Teemo is vastly superior in most team situations, since he's a bit burstier and shrooms can hurt teamfights.

But recently I picked him up toplane versus a Tryndamere. Went Exhaust/Barrier for summoners, as their jungle was Udyr and I wasn't terribly worried about getting locked down by his cc. Played total farm denial against tryn, reserving the blind dart for when he went all in, and avoided two ganks from Udyr early to secure a lane win by a huge farm advantage and a turret.

Now I knew that at this point, what Tryn really wanted me to do was leave. Help another lane, so he can split push forever against me. But I decided I wanted to try something different. Bought a **** ton of wards, and used them and my shrooms to absolutely riddle the enemy jungle on my side, and proceeded to split push against the under farmed tryn. Just like in lane, he couldn't build up fury, so he couldnt all in me, and with the AD build not only was I more effective against turrets I seemed to do better damage to Tryndamere, which made sense as I was giving up the damage from my shrooms.

Eventually pulled both the jungler and the mid into a merry chase through Teemo's Funderland (their jungle) and in that time my team claimed both of the other inner turrets.

So, with proper forward planning, Teemo can out split push the split pusher. My question is: was this a fluke? If I switched to flash so I could pull a wall jump+Teemo passive juke would it work with a scarier enemy jungler? And if so, was I right to go for an AD build for maximum personal/squirrel based damage or should I do the usual autoattack AP build?

ShinRaigeki

09-12-2013

AD Teemo still gains all the damage AP does, BUT, he gains it with better scaling. He gets better AS Scaling, better piercing scaling, and thanks to lifesteal, better sustain.

I -suppose- you could give him Gunblade, Triforce, and Nashor/Wit's ends with 2 armors, but dunno how successful that would be.

Generally Teemo's Q and E are not that strong on scaling. Most people expect AP Teemo nowadays and might very well open with Anti-Magic Cloak, making AD start stronger while they don't know what you'll actually do.

With that extra lifesteal sustain, Teemo can easily splitpush. Unless they bring oracles, you can push their lane and then invis out. Wait until they push back and leave, then push their lane again. Thanks to Teemo's invisibility you can pop their inhibitor, and camp in their base and wait until all 5 are gone then backdoor their nexus turrets/nexus, using their spawning minions for sustain. They return? You invis again. Oracles? His W, and sing "TROLLOLOLOLOL!"

MrSc0tty

09-12-2013

That's what I was doing. I see someone enter my defensive field, I invis. Single person shows, I hit them with the passive as boost. Two show up, I'm split pushing successfully and I chill out.

Gun blade is a good idea, the active would give me a bit more burst to knock down Tryn/whoever when they all in. My build was IE, PD, BT, LW, etc. I avoided Bork because Tryn is glass cannon, just want to knock him down as fast as you can, and Udyr was armor stacking. AD teemo would be kinda crappy if I went into teamfights, but just splitting all day made me a menace.

ShinRaigeki

09-12-2013

I would consider Frozen Mallet. It may seem silly but if you get it off, your opponent is as good as stunned if your team works with you. Also helps peel for kiting escapes. HP is second only to Warmog too

nlKripp twitch

09-12-2013

AD Teemo is complete ****.

ShinRaigeki

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlKripp twitch View Post
Saying this without evidence or anything means nothing. Just means you either A: are a Teemo hater (I am too, don't get me wrong) or B: just stating an opinion without providing reasoning or facts. B is useless in a line of conversation or a discussion.

Defiled

09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlKripp twitch View Post

You're right he is, If you're playing against him.

ADC like Damage output, with a BLIND? AND LIFE STEAL? I AD all the way.

ViolentJ1933

09-12-2013

This is what i do top or mid depending on matchup

http://leaguecraft.com/lnk/LHY

i start with boots 3 hp and 1 mp

replace boots with 6th item = trinity force if game goes that far... the others are in order

hurricane first to farm and push (mushrooms and w to prevent ganks once level 6!)

take tower early, roam a bit(and dont forget mushrooming) and always come back top to farm/push away from tower

thats what i do and i am far from being pro but i do this with good success... if you have any feedback please let me know i am always looking to improve!

Irish Red Cap

09-12-2013

Top Teemo should never be built AP. People think it is a good viable build because his Mushroom's and Blind Dart do a decent amount of damage but seriously. You have 1 stationary skill (killed by pinks/oracles) and 1 single target skill. Even if you build AS/AP for on-hit effects people just build Negatron and your on-hit poison damage is nil now.

As for AD Teemo. He is more reliable because you tend to get more HP/AS/LS (lifesteal) so you survive much better in a laning phase and 1v1 fights. Your damage is not quite as bursty but it is definitely higher in the long run because of the consistent damage.

When you go AD and you max Poison first in lane, there really isn't anyone who can handle that harass. If they build armor, your poison hits will make up for any damage being mitigated and if they build MR, well they are just stupid cause your gonna be wailing on their face with crit-darts.

AD Teemo also is better in team fights because he acts as a secondary ADC. He can get in and fight toe to toe with other ADCs if he hits a decent blind dart. This forces the enemy team to split their targets between 2 high priority targets in team fights giving your bot lane ADC a much easier time.

As for AP Teemo in team fights. Yeah not worth a damn, you spit Blind Dart, try to hit past the MR that was built for you and mid-lane and hope to god people run over your mushrooms after the fight is over so you can get some kills after the fact.

My Typical Teemo top build.

Boots 4 pots-Bork-Frozen Mallet-Wits End-IE-PD

This requires people to build both Armor and MR against me, so it massively hurts their damage. While at the same time Frozen Mallet + Bork ensures people won't catch/escape from you and you have the LS and Health to survive a prolonged fight.

nlKripp twitch

09-12-2013

The fact that the whole basis of this thread is that a Teemo countered a Tryndamere with a gimp AD build is a joke.

You would of won your lane by double if you went full AP.

Why not just play Quinn.

I could counter Tryndamere with Teemo by rubbing my nuts on the keyboard and building 6 Doran's Blades by 20 mins.

But that doesn't make it a good idea.