Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Katarina - Build/Tactics Top Tier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KlockworK

12-28-2009

Probably a stupid question, but why magic penetration and not armor penetration?

12-28-2009

Quote:
KlockworK:
Probably a stupid question, but why magic penetration and not armor penetration?

She rarely auto-attacks, and all of her abilities use magic damage.

Her ult for example scales with Attack Damage, but still does magic damage. This means that it's affected by Magic Penetration, not Armor Pen.

Furor

12-28-2009

Quote:
WesleyC:
One question regarding Killer Instincts - you've mentioned that you consistently use it before a Bouncing Blades, how often do you use it before a Shun-Po?

Use it against heavy physical teams late in the game right before ult'ing.
Quote:
Klockwork:

Because over 60% of your damage in a given game will be magic, and almost all team-fight damage will be magic. Physical accounts mostly for farming minions.

KlockworK

12-28-2009

Quote:
Meta:
She rarely auto-attacks, and all of her abilities use magic damage.

Her ult for example scales with Attack Damage, but still does magic damage. This means that it's affected by Magic Penetration, not Armor Pen.

Good to know. Now is magic penetration only effective if they have magic resist? How exactly does that work?

12-28-2009

Quote:
KlockworK:
Good to know. Now is magic penetration only effective if they have magic resist? How exactly does that work?

Magic Penetration is only effective if they have magic resist. However, every character has an innate amount of magic resist. Typically the amount of Penetration you'd get from static values (ie: Runes, Sorc boots, Haunting Guise, etc) won't be quite enough to lower it to zero. However, reducing someone's magic resist is more effective the less they have. This is because stacking more magic resist gives diminishing effects to your EHP the more you have.

Here's a thread where magic penetration gets explained pretty elaborately:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=30918

Cloudy

12-29-2009

First of all, thanks for your guide on Kat. I really learned alot from it (tower diving/kill/shunpo out^^).

I have a question about the item build tho. You recommend heart of gold as a 1st tier item, which gives additional hp, armor and gold. Isn't a giant belt better for survivability? It gives more hp and most damage come from magical attack, thus the extra armor doesn't do much.

stino

12-29-2009

Thanks for the great guide.
I unlocked Katarina a few games ago and immediatly used this guide. First game: 13/2/5. Second game: 16/2/10. Third game: 18/1/2. etc. etc. I just keep on winning and winning. I dont even need a solo lane, i actually prefer laning with someone that has any random slow or stun or whatever snare effect.
As soon as you get your BF swords you are one crazy killing machine, everyone will fear your ulti.

I do by the way prefer Flash and Ignite as my spells, they seem to do the trick every time.

Furor

12-29-2009

Quote:
Cloudy:
First of all, thanks for your guide on Kat. I really learned alot from it (tower diving/kill/shunpo out^^).

I have a question about the item build tho. You recommend heart of gold as a 1st tier item, which gives additional hp, armor and gold. Isn't a giant belt better for survivability? It gives more hp and most damage come from magical attack, thus the extra armor doesn't do much.

Giant's Belt costs more, and doesn't provide armor. The effective HP for a Heart of Gold that early is as much as Giant's Belt because your armor isn't that high, so diminishing returns doesn't really start kicking in. Basically, 200 Health + 27 armor is roughly as good as 435 health. Especially if you intend to tower dive. Oh, and HoG more than pays for itself by the end of a game.

Also, added a rough Tankarina guide.

Tyrfang

12-29-2009

There's no real diminishing returns on armor or magic resist. Each point in armor or magic resist increases your effective HP by the same amount versus that type of damage.

Example:
100 Armor will give you 50% reduction, so effectively doubles your HP. (1000 HP / 50% = 2000 EHP)
200 Armor will give you 66% reduction, so effectively triples your HP. (1000 HP / 33% = 3000 EHP)
300 Armor will give you 75% reduction, effectively quadrupling your HP. (1000 HP / 25%= 4000 EHP).

So, in other words, 1 point in armor or MRes will increase your effective HP by 1%. Last whisper will decrease your additional effective HP by 40%, and static penetration effects will decrease your EHP by 1% per point.

Anyway, I tried this build. I haven't played Kat since she was first introduced, when you could really only go tank or AP and may as well get Rylai's. I like it, but I feel like I don't have enough damage early game when Ignite or Rally are down. I might need more Magic Penetration runes to cut through the starting 20-30 MRes on Heroes...

AIM7Sparrow

12-29-2009

Can you explain why so many Kat's get bloodthirster on the normal deathlotus build. (Did you have it there too?) Death lotus doesn't proc lifesteal from bloodthirster right? So why get it at all unless your purely dedicated to autoattack?