[Guide] Ashe - The Team Queen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirash View Post
Some masteries are easy to pick for Ashe but for a newer player like me who wants to advance into Ashe saying is 21 / 8 / 1 is a bit to plain. As I said I am fairly new at speccing masteries and runes for a certain champion and I would love if you make a screenshot of the build and have it in a thumbnail or uploaded to some site. Great guide, I am certain to follow it and will train on said points.
(I know you explained some of them but if you still could post a full picture of it or just write it would be awesome)

Thanks for sharing and the time to write,
Keirash
Duly noted.

Thanks for pointing that out! Although guides are usually written for newer players, those of us who have played long enough to even write a guide sometimes forget what it is like to be level 10 again...

I'll update the OP as soon as I get back to my office tomorrow (which is where I have my handy link for masteries).

I hope you enjoy the guide!

Keirash

12-23-2010

Thanks for the quick reaction. The game I played with this guide had the following results:
K - D - A
10 1 13
Worked like a charm!

Eledhan

12-23-2010

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reaction. The game I played with this guide had the following results:
K - D - A
10 1 13
Worked like a charm!
Awesome! I actually didn't get the chance to work on the update today, but I'll add it tomorrow when I run by the office to pick up some stuff before Christmas break.

I'm glad you liked the guide! I keep it updated on an EXTREMELY regular basis... It will be checked every week (most of the time daily) for responses or questions until the day that I quit playing LoL...which will probably be never!

Shagrarz

12-23-2010

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

I assume this is the spec Eledhan is talking about.

Eledhan

12-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrarz View Post
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

I assume this is the spec Eledhan is talking about.
Probably, but that particular mastery calculator does not show each point. I'll include the one I have found tomorrow.

Leaguecraft calculator has never worked for me, but I'm gonna try it really quick.

Eledhan

12-23-2010

Viola!!!

Leaguecraft Mastery Build

Keirash

12-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
Thanks alot! Screenshotted and applied as far as I can. (level isn't max as you probably already know haha)

Great guide and merry Xmas to you all :P

Eledhan

12-24-2010

Quote:
Thanks alot! Screenshotted and applied as far as I can. (level isn't max as you probably already know haha)

Great guide and merry Xmas to you all :P
You're very welcome!!!

And a VERY merry Christmas to anyone else who reads this guide!

Guide updated as of Christmas Eve!

Gormakr

12-27-2010

Great guide - thanks.

I'm a mid-ELO that uses Ashe as one of my two mains. I think the main thing that I got out of this is that I've been leaving mid too often to gank the side lanes with arrow - this results in kills, but I do often get the mid pushed down - I need to stop doing this - thanks.

Two thoughts/ questions:

1) Runes - I use move speed quints - I used to use crit dmg as that was all I had available - The move speed seems to help survivability early and late and to help in chasing. Thoughts on that vs. health?

2) Masteries - I typically have been running 11/0/19. I'm able to get max CD reduction from masteries, extra move speed (which I use for survivability and chasing - see (1) above) in utilities, have a little extra mana regen (to help spam volley a little more) and the XP gain and improved Flash (which I use as Summoner Spell w/ Ghost). I'm also able to get most of what I want in the offensive tree (I think Brute Force is a bit weak as a Mastery at this level).

I switched to the emphasis on move speed after playing against another Ashe when I was Singed - no one could ever catch her - even with Singed's ult and move speed quints I could almost never catch her to toss her. She really dominated the game.

Have you played with the extra move speed from the Runes and Masteries? Do you find that the extra points in Offense help enough to offset these? Do you find that you have sufficient speed with only the Boots of Swiftness?

Also, I know you feel strongly about mid Ashe, but what about a top-lane, solo Ashe - Is that as good as a Mid-Ashe if you have a jungler?

Thanks - again, nice guide.

Eledhan

12-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormakr View Post
Great guide - thanks.
You're very welcome! And thank you! You have some very good questions and comments...I'll try my best to see if I can address them, but much of what you are discussing is really more about player preference than anything else...

Quote:
I'm a mid-ELO that uses Ashe as one of my two mains. I think the main thing that I got out of this is that I've been leaving mid too often to gank the side lanes with arrow - this results in kills, but I do often get the mid pushed down - I need to stop doing this - thanks.
This is not necessarily a bad tactic, but like I've mentioned, if your team loses mid, then it's almost as if you weren't really there (which, if you're ganking, you're not!). I prefer to stay mid to farm up, since Ashe isn't really that good of a ganker. Anyone who tells you otherwise has obviously not tried to play Ashe early game as a ganker.

Be content with farming the mess out of mid. This allows your team to relax about having to defend middle tower randomly, and keeps you going on the gold and XP. By the time you are really needed elsewhere, you should have more attack damage than anyone else, and can really help push lanes back, defend towers 2v1, and become a major pain in the rear for the other team.

Quote:
Two thoughts/ questions:

1) Runes - I use move speed quints - I used to use crit dmg as that was all I had available - The move speed seems to help survivability early and late and to help in chasing. Thoughts on that vs. health?
As I am still relatively new to this game (about 5 months now), I haven't had a chance to get another rune page to mess around with, so I can't speak from experience, only from theory.

Basically, move speed quints are nice, and they make your opponent's quiver in their boots (pun intended), but unfortunately, they don't keep you in lane longer. You still have to get within range to deal damage, in which case, anyone who could hit you without the speed could still hit you (albeit less). For a ranged carry, the speed runes will decrease your damage, but against a mage, that 1 spell is all they can usually get off anyway.

So, I still think that the HP runes are a better choice for early game. As for late game, I've never found the need for them. Since you run with Flash, you shouldn't ever need the extra speed...otherwise, you're just not playing Ashe correctly. If more speed is appealing to you, the new re-work of Phantom Dancer is actually viable on Ashe now (although it may not be the BEST choice, it's no longer a bad one). Grab that instead and watch your damage output go nuts

Quote:
2) Masteries - I typically have been running 11/0/19. I'm able to get max CD reduction from masteries, extra move speed (which I use for survivability and chasing - see (1) above) in utilities, have a little extra mana regen (to help spam volley a little more) and the XP gain and improved Flash (which I use as Summoner Spell w/ Ghost). I'm also able to get most of what I want in the offensive tree (I think Brute Force is a bit weak as a Mastery at this level).
No offense, but the apparent need for you to rely on the utility masteries indicates to me that you're not quite where I feel you need to be when playing Ashe. Ashe is a HARD carry...this means that there is NO NEGOTIATION when it comes to play style...she absolutely IS item dependent, and therefore, requires you to play it safe the first half of the game. This means you're not spamming Volley. And since only one ability actually gets better for dealing damage, XP gain is a bit useless on her. It would be different if we were talking Miss Fortune, since she has 3 + ult abilities to use, and needs the XP to get them faster, but we're dealing with Ashe.

Therefore, you can skip on XP gain, mana pool, move speed, etc. from utility...what you wanna do is work on how to eliminate weaknesses so you can dominate middle. One weakness is survivability...where is it if you go utility? It's not there...So, I say go with your extra survivability in defense and make sure your opponent pays for every inch of ground with offense. Play it safe, but punish them when they over-commit.

Quote:
I switched to the emphasis on move speed after playing against another Ashe when I was Singed - no one could ever catch her - even with Singed's ult and move speed quints I could almost never catch her to toss her. She really dominated the game.
I have to say, I love it when I face another Ashe and they've decided to go something like this. They flit all over the place, and can't deal any damage. What should have happened in your game is someone should have ganked her a couple times, then she couldn't do anything. Granted, you may have a hard time damaging her, but I just don't think she would have lasted in the middle lane against this build. A couple volleys and a critical hit on her, and I'm all set for an Arrow Blitz...what's she gonna do? Make her feet blur? I hate to be so sarcastic, but I just haven't had issues fighting move speed Ashe. Yes, they're intimidating, but ultimately, they can't stay in lane as long...

I'll give it a try one day. I'm sure I'll love it (as a veteran Ashe player), but for newer players, they really should stick to the extra survivability.

Quote:
Have you played with the extra move speed from the Runes and Masteries? Do you find that the extra points in Offense help enough to offset these? Do you find that you have sufficient speed with only the Boots of Swiftness?
I've never played with the runes, but I have played with the masteries...no big change. Early game, the bonuses in the offensive tree, combined with the bonuses in the defensive tree allow me to be exceptionally aggressive (without over-committing)...in addition, after your 2nd or 3rd Doran's Blade, you are suddenly the highest HP champ in the game...that's unbelievably intimidating on Ashe...

Quote:
Also, I know you feel strongly about mid Ashe, but what about a top-lane, solo Ashe - Is that as good as a Mid-Ashe if you have a jungler?
While there is definitely a place for Ashe in the side lanes, her power comes from dominance through her presence. If you can be extra aggressive early on, then I imagine that you can make up for the difference. However, Ashe is so good at denying opponents that it makes more sense to put her on the opponent's mid champ so they never really get a good game.

Since I discovered the method to playing mid, I haven't really gone back to the side. Mid is just SO important to a team's success...I've had mediocre mid allies hold off long enough to get into team-fight phase, in which case we all got steam-rolled by our opponent mid...you really have to be careful about who takes mid, because if you lose that battle, they can single-handedly ruin the game for your team due to their extreme level.

Quote:
Thanks - again, nice guide.
Well, once again, you're welcome!

I'll definitely try out your suggestion some day, but for now, I stand by this guide as a better choice. Not that there's anything wrong with your build, I just don't think it allows you to be the aggressive pain in the rear during the early game that this guide helps you become.

Happy summoning!