[Guide] Ashe - The Team Queen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

01-07-2011

Quote:
Change Log

Up to date as of 1/4/11

1. Corrected various grammatical and format mistakes.
2. Items and build orders are constantly updated due to changes / input from others.
3. Updated Appendices with descriptions to indicate what kind of future content they will contain.
4. Added "Credits" section so I can officially recognize those who have helped contribute to this guide.
5. Updated Mastery recommendation to include a link. Link is in the "Summary" section.
6. Updated Appendix A - Side Laning
Quote:
Contents:

-Introduction
-Summary
-Pre-game Setup
-Item Explanations
-Strategy - Early Game
-Strategy - Middle Game
-Strategy - Late Game
-Appendix A – Side Laning
-Appendix B – Dangerous Opposing Champions
-Appendix C – Other Relevant Topics
-Credits
-Closing Comments
Quote:
Introduction

NOTE: This guide is dedicated to Solo Mid play. If you find yourself playing side lanes, skip down to "Appendix A - Side Laning" for more a more balanced build. The Solo Mid Build is designed to allow Ashe to be highly aggressive while maintaining survivability and long laning times. As such, the masteries and spells used in this build are highly specialized to accomplish this objective and are NOT designed to be as useful late game. With this build, you should farm like a champ so that your itemization makes you unstoppable late game regardless of masteries / spells.

I call Ashe the Team Queen because she must be played in a manner that is similar to the way chess players handle their queen. The queen is the most powerful piece on the board, and although I wouldn’t go so far as to say that is also true of Ashe, I will say that the approach to playing Ashe is similar to the way you should handle your queen in chess.

In chess, good players save their queen for late game… only using her early to fend off aggressive maneuvers, to put pressure on opponent’s pieces, and to control large portions of the board. The biggest reason the queen is left for late game in chess is because she gets more move options as the game progresses since there are fewer pieces to impede her range. The more options available in chess, the more powerful a piece is.

The longer a game lasts in League of Legends, the better Ashe becomes, especially when team fights start up, due to the options she brings to the table. Check out the Late Game section for more information. Ashe should play cautiously until late game, and then it is Ashe’s job to initiate, chase, and kite. You should be building her accordingly, and it takes a little while to get there; but once you’re there, you become a serious force to be reckoned with.

This guide is broken down into several portions. If you are the kind of person who already has an item build that works for you, then skim the build summary, and then skip to the strategy sections. If you already get the concept of playing Ashe, but need some help with items etc. then check out the summary format. If you are relatively new to League of Legends, read the whole thing! There is a lot of good info in here.

I’ve used a lot of my own experiences with Ashe (she’s been my main for over 200 games) and I’ve also been enlightened by those who are more experienced and have more skill than I do. I enjoy writing my thoughts and strategies, so I figured I would share them with the LoL community.
Quote:
Summary of Solo Mid Build

Runes
Marks = 9x Armor Penetration
Seals = 9x Mana Regeneration Per Level
Glyphs = 9x Cooldown Reduction Per Level
Quintessences = 3x Flat Health

Spells
Heal / Ghost (Alternatively: Flash / Ghost)

Masteries
21 / 8 / 1

Skill Order
Arrow>Volley>Frost Shot>Hawkshot

Recommended Build Order
-Doran’s Blade / Shield & 1 Health Potion
-BF Sword & Boots of Speed
-Pickaxe & Boots of Swiftness
-Upgrade to Infinity Edge & then keep Green Elixir going at all times
-Choose from items below for the rest of game based on needs
***Purchase Doran's Blades any time you have spare gold that can't be used to complete other items***

All Viable Items
Elixirs (250each)
Extra Doran’s Blades (435 each)
Boots of Swiftness (1000)
Last Whisper (2090)
Nashor's Tooth (2385)
Youmuu's Ghostblade (2687)
Banshee’s Veil (2715)
Phantom Dancer (2895)
The Bloodthirster (3200)
Madred's Bloodrazor (3800)
Infinity Edge (4080)
Quote:
Pre-game
League of Legends is just as much about pre-planning as it is about performance on the field of battle. If your pre-game setup is off by even a small margin, then you have essentially doomed yourself to failure against a competent opponent.

Runes
The best choice for Marks on Ashe is Armor Penetration since they enhance her attacks and Volley. Only two Marks will enhance BOTH her standard attacks AND her Volley ability, Armor Penetration and Attack Damage. If you want to go with Attack Damage, that's your call, but I would go with Armor Penetration, since they're so much more versatile. Flat Armor Pen is MUCH more expensive item-wise, so it's a better value for your IP. This is about as simple as it gets!

***NOTE: Even in light of the changes to Last Whisper, I still feel that Armor Pen Marks are the best, since they work for both Volley and attacks until you can get a Last Whisper. ***

I choose Mana Regen per level Seals because Ashe already has plenty of defense in the form of her slows and the masteries I get. These Seals keep her firing off her abilities with ease. I can’t tell you the number of times that I’ve been solo mid, shoot Enchanted Arrow and Volley for some burst damage, and by the time the Arrow is back up, I’m ready to do it again.

Cooldown Reduction per level Glyphs are the best way to go in my opinion. There seems to be a debate that c/d per level is worse than flat cooldown. I disagree when it comes to Ashe. Unless you have outrageous mana regen, you will not be able to spam Volley, thus the increased cooldown reduction early on is useless. In my opinion, Cooldown on Ashe works much better later in the game so she can use her Arrow more, not so she can spam Volley during the early game.

***NOTE: Since the updates to the items on 12/14/10, Ashe no longer has an attack speed item by getting Last Whisper since it has been changed. This means other options are available to her late game to enhance her attack speed, if necessary. The most logical choices are Phantom Dancer, Nashor's Tooth, or Madred's Bloodrazor. If you decide to go with Nashor's Tooth, then the flat CDR runes would probably be better, since you will have plenty of CDR late game with Nashor's.***

Health Quintessences are the way to go. I used to run Armor Pen Quints, but realized that an extra 10 Apen isn't going to help as much as more survivability during the early game. Besides, Health Quints are useful on many other champions, including mages. Sure, they cost a lot of IP, but once you buy them, you've addressed the early game survivability issues with almost all of your champs.

Summoner Spells
I like to run Heal / Ghost, but you can do what you prefer. Flash / Ghost makes an awesome escape / chase combination for any time during the game, but I prefer Heal over Flash. Perhaps I’m noob, perhaps not…I regularly get kills because I was able to bait an opponent into over-extending, just to pop Heal and chase them all the way back to their tower. Flash won't allow you to do that, and is really only useful in side lanes or late game. In addition, I like Heal over Flash because Heal can save me AND a buddy (or 2 or 3) if we’re running, or get jumped, or are trying to push a turret, etc. Flash only lets me save myself.

The ambush component of Flash is perhaps a missing element if you go with Heal, but I don’t see it as much of a loss, since Ashe has the Crystal Arrow to ambush with. I realize that later in the game, Heal is less useful, but I would rather have Heal early on, during the laning phase to help me get kills at mid, and to stay in lane longer. Obviously, if you prefer Flash, then by all means, go for it! Using Flash doesn’t change much in this guide, other than the fact that you may have to go back to base more often early game, and your first item may not be BF Sword.

Masteries
I grab the appropriate masteries in each category, using a 21/8/1 format. Some notables are the 15% magic penetration in Offense, Improved Heal in Defense, and Improved Ghost in Utility. It’s really a toss-up for where to put the 8 points…Defense or Utility? I choose Defense for the extra magic resist and the health regen based on mana pool. This allows me to stay in lane for a long time at the beginning of the game. If you go with Flash as a summoner spell instead of Heal, then drop the Heal mastery for the extra armor.

Because of the items and runes I use, I get VERY close to the 40% max cooldown reduction without utility masteries. I also have learned how to conserve my mana during the early stages so I can cast Volley whenever I need it, and shoot off a Crystal Arrow as soon as I hit level 6. This is a tricky thing to master, but I’ll go over that in the strategy section. For now, just trust me when I say that the regenerating health and the increased magic resistance is AWESOME against magic heavy champs who often solo mid. This is because you will be regenerating health too quickly for them to keep it down with their spells…which drains their mana, and lets you free-farm creeps.

Communication with Team
Be nice…but don’t back down. Call mid. EVERY TIME!!! I usually start off with “I’ll mid, unless the team has an issue with that…” Usually works, even when there might be a “better” alternative available. The biggest reason for this is that Ashe is a vital component of team fights (as you will see in the Late Game section), but if she can’t get the gold & experience she needs, she becomes powerful too late to really have an impact on the game.

I have only truly carried my team (by racking up more kills than the entire opposing team) a few times. This really only happens when my teammates are not terrible (feeding), but they’re not great either, allowing me to wipe up their leftovers. It doesn’t happen often, but it’s fun when it does! Obviously, if you can’t get mid because your team is simply thick between the ears, go lane with a tank, support, or disabling champ. They’re your friends!

I’ve really been running into a lot of people who play an ability power champ who want mid when I’m playing Ashe. This, to me, is ridiculous. AP champs have multiple abilities to level up, whereas Ashe only has 1 (Volley), and it only gets better as you buy items. Most AP champs only need the experience to get more powerful since can maximize 2 damaging spells fairly quickly regardless of the items they get. For this reason, I usually recommend Ashe take mid over AP (and usually over most attack damage) champs.

Try your best to get mid, but don’t be a jerk.
Quote:
Item Explanations

Starting Items
You're definitely going to want a Health Potion in addition to the Doran's item you grab. I used to be a proponent of ONLY Doran's Blade as a legitimate starting item for Ashe, but now I'm not so certain. As MeditationError so kindly pointed out at the top of Page 5 of this thread, Doran's Shield is an excellent starting item. Shield grants you a definite bonus to survivability due to the regen and the armor. Yes, the Blade gives you more damage, but the Shield allows you to stay in lane longer at the start of the game. Which means you can really rake in the gold before your first trip back as long as you are highly skilled at last hitting.

Ultimately, it's up to each player to determine whether to start off Shield or Blade, but if you're going to be facing a physical champ, the Shield wins...hands down. The only time this becomes a difficult decision is if you are only facing magic damage, in which case, the Blade might be a better buy since you won't be reducing incoming damage, but will be able to trade blows a bit better.

Build Order
As far as build orders are concerned, I believe each game can be a different build order. However, the recommended build order in the summary above is a great way to go. Just add in a Doran's Blade any time you have extra gold to spend while you're farming up your big-ticket items. The only thing that I really think is a must-have is Boots of Speed. Get these as soon as you realize you can't chase/outrun your opponent when they are slowed. This will keep you alive much better than a Doran's Blade will, but it's entirely dependent on the pressure your opponent is exerting on you. The bottom line is, go with whatever you can afford each trip back, while putting emphasis on the items that fit your circumstances.

Elixirs (250 gold each)
If you have to go back to base prior to finishing Infinity Edge and you have between 250 and 400 gold, grab a red elixir. Once you get an Infinity Edge, you'll want to spend any extra 250 gold on green elixirs to enhance your damage output. Don't worry about the blue elixir until you finish your build and have gold to spend after getting red and green…it’s really only worth it if you have no more slots to build items, which means you are in a 45+ minute game. Unless your inventory is full, keep any elixirs in inventory until you get into the fighting again…you want to maximize your investment!

Extra Doran’s Blades (435 each)
This item is just too good… However, only get more of these if you are still working on finishing Infinity Edge but don't have enough for the next component. Once you complete Infinity Edge, you should focus on Green Elixirs with any left over gold instead of Doran's Blades. Note that if you have a need for another top tier item besides Infinity Edge early on, and you have enough for a Doran’s, consider buying a component instead. You could get the Long Sword for the Last Whisper or Brutalizer, the Meki Pendant for Fiendish Codex, or the Sapphire Crystal for Banshee's Veil; each of these items is about the same as a Blade.

Avarice Blade (750)
This item is most effective once you have your IE, since the critical chance will help your damage significantly. However, you only want to get this if you're going to get the Ghostblade. If for some reason you decide not to go with Ghostblade, don't waste your money on this thing. Make sure you try to hold onto this as long as you can before upgrading, because you want to earn as much gold as possible off of it's passive.

Boots of Swiftness (1000)
I like these over Mercury's Treads since the best thing to do for Ashe if she's getting hit with spells is to grab Banshee's. If you decide you need Merc's before you can complete Banshee's, go ahead and get them, then work on Banshee's. Once you got the Veil, you can always sell the Treads for Swiftness, or you could simply hold onto them. The extra movement speed really lets you play your role of kiting/chasing really well, though, which is why I recommend Swiftness over Treads.

The Brutalizer (1337)
With the change to Last Whisper on 12/14/10, this item becomes less desirable, except as a precursor to Ghostblade. Grab this and Avarice Blade while on the way to Ghostblade and let Avarice earn as much gold as possible. However, if you're in a side lane, this item is a life saver!

Upgrade to Ghostblade (600)
Once you've determined that you need the extra slot in inventory, upgrade The Brutalizer and Avarice Blade to this. And use it! Don't let the active go to waste just because you're afraid to waste it. Use it any time you're attacking a champ or tower, and it'll be ready again in 60 seconds.

Last Whisper (2090)
With the changes to Last Whisper in the 12/14/10 patch, this item becomes the absolute must-have item on Ashe. The fact that it now enhances her Volley ability by adding damage instead of attack speed is just pure joy for Ashe! Grab this whenever enemies have at least one armor item.

Nashor's Tooth (2385)
This item is beastly. However, you really only need this after the game has gotten past the 45 minute mark. If the game has gone that long, you should have Swiftness, LW, IE, and Ghosblade. If you need attack speed and cooldown, then by all means go for this sucker. It'll make you an Arrow poppin', Volley blastin', damage dealin' machine! Otherwise, grab yourself a Banshee's if getting focused or a Bloodthirster unable to attack consecutively. You may want to consider starting to work on this item early on in the game by grabbing a Meki Pendant for the extra mana regen. This will keep you dishing out the pain like a champ with those armor penetrating Volleys. You can always upgrade to the whole thing later.

Banshee’s Veil (2715)
If you find yourself getting focused, slowed, trapped, stunned, or perhaps you took a ton of damage from an enemy spell…do yourself a favor and start working on Banshee’s Veil. This item is fantastic for keeping Ashe alive, since she doesn’t really get hit with much, unless it’s right at the end of a bad team fight, and she’s trying to cover the escape of her team. Banshee’s will ensure that she can keep on firing Volley’s without getting hit with a stun.

Phantom Dancer (2895)
This item used to not be worth it, but now that it's 500 cheaper and doesn't have the dodge chance included, it's much more viable on Ashe. In addition, this build no longer has attack speed from Last Whisper, so Ashe would be attacking at an extremely low rate without either this or Nashor's Tooth. As mentioned before, either go with one or the other. Nashor's for more utility via cooldown reduction, and Phantom Dancer for more damage against champs via critical chance. Between this, Ghostblade, IE, and masteries, you'll be sitting at 67% critical chance without using your passive at all. With just 3 seconds of not attacking at level 18, you are getting 85% crit chance. Plus, this item makes you more mobile and grants that desperately needed attack speed. It's highly situational, but since the price drop, this item is now a bit more reasonable if included with IE.

The Bloodthirster (3200)
This item is great for enhancing your damage. However, it is best saved for the end of the game, when you will need to really be dishing out a lot of damage because it's expensive, and really only effective if farmed up. Ghosblade + IE + Green Elixir should be all you need for the majority of the game. Only focus on Bloodthirster if you are trying to fill up your 5th or 6th slot with more damage.

Madred's Bloodrazor
Now that Last Whisper no longer provides any attack speed, this item becomes viable, but ONLY in unique circumstances. The only time this item is really viable is if you have a champ like Vlad, Garen, Mundo, etc. who tend to stack lots of HP but very little armor/magic resist. The reason this item is now viable is because you probably want to have a good attack speed item, and this one increases your damage more if you're up against a non-resist tank or off-tank.

Infinity Edge (4080)
Wow, what an item! With IE, Ghostblade, and masteries, your critical chance on every attack will be almost 40% (20+15+2=37%). Toss in a green elixir, and watch the criticals roll in! Not to mention that your passive (at level 18) puts your crit chance at 55% after only 3 seconds of not attacking, and 100% after a measly 12 seconds. Unless you're having gold issues, this should be the item you're trying to build. Once you have Infinity Edge, your damage will simply be too high to ignore…prepare to be focused!
Quote:
Ideal Ending Items in no particular order
1-Boots of Swiftness
2-Infinity Edge
3-Situational
4-Situational
5-Situational
6-Situational

For the Situational Items, choose from the following:
-Last Whisper if ANY opponent builds ONE armor items.
-Stark's Fervor for attack speed and more armor reduction. Avoid if Last Whisper needed.
-Banshee's Veil for defense against spells.
-The Bloodthirster for better Volleys & attacks.
-Phantom Dancer for more criticals, move speed, and attack speed.
-Madred's Bloodrazor ONLY if LW not needed and little to no resistance on HP stacking champs.
-Nashor's Tooth for better cooldowns, attack speed, and mana regen.
Continued in next post…

Eledhan

01-07-2011

Continued from first post...

Quote:
Early Game
Hopefully you were able to get solo mid, but that doesn’t always happen. In that case, refer to Appendix A – Side Laning for some good tips on how to handle the change in scenery.

I consider early game to be the period of time between the start of the game and the first true gank attempt by any non-jungler. During this period of time, your job is to make sure you are farming plenty of gold, harassing your opponent to keep them from farming, and keeping the creep wave pushed away from your turret.

Grab your Doran’s item and Health Potion and head to mid. Try to get a Volley and your first attack to land on your opponent...I have had this tactic drop their health below 75%...which will usually scare them off for a bit. Any time your HP gets to about 30%, use your Health Potion.

If you went with Doran's Blade:
Focus on auto-attacking a different minion than the one your creeps are attacking while using Volley to last hit the minion you are working on as well as the one your creeps are working on. This tactic does 2 things... First, it keeps your HP up with life steal. Yes, it's not much, but over the course of the early game, it will keep you going. Second, it ensures you push the creep lane into their tower, denying them gold. This is very good for enemy caster champs who simply don't have the ability to last hit like you do if their spells are on c/d.

If you went with Doran's Shield:
Focus only on last-hitting and harassing when you can. Your goal here is to let your HP regen from Shield and Masteries keep you healthy while you farm. If you're up against a physical champ, this item will keep you safer, and really allow you to come right back to farming after just a few seconds of regen until later on in the game. Beware the caster champs!

On your way to level 6, you should be saving your Volley’s for when you can do one of the following: 1) hit your opponent with Volley and at least 1 low HP creep, followed by at least 1 auto-attack to your opponent; or 2) hit two or more low HP creeps to get the gold from last hits. Level up Volley first, followed by Frost Shot. Grab a point in Hawkshot as soon as you feel the need to check the bushes, but otherwise, wait as long as you can on Hawkshot.

Once you hit level 6, it’s time for what I like to call an Arrow Blitz. Basically, you charge up your passive until you can shoot your Arrow, Volley, and get a critical strike on your opponent with a bit of mana to spare. This allows you to deal some MASSIVE burst damage that they cannot dodge…and cannot run away from since you’re going to turn on Frost Shot.

I like to do this at almost any segment of the lane, but usually try to do it near my tower for maximum chasing distance. Pop Ghost if you need to, and if you can get the kill by popping Heal as well, then do it. If they’re going to escape, then just let them, and go back to farming; DON’T tower dive! Any time you have the mana for it and Arrow is off cooldown, attempt an Arrow Blitz. An Arrow Blitz is considered successful if you force them to use a Summoner Spell, return to base, or you get a kill. Practice the Blitz!

As long as you DON'T have mana or HP issues, farm what you can, and when the waves get close to your opponent's tower, back up and get the ghosts in the jungle. Continue this cycle until you have enough gold to do one of the following:

2200 Gold = BF Sword & Boots of Speed
1687 Gold = The Brutalizer & Boots of Speed
1325 Gold = Pickaxe & Boots of Speed
765 Gold = Long Sword & Boots of Speed
585 Gold = Doran's Blade & Red Elixir
435 Gold = Doran's Blade
350 Gold = Boots of Speed
250 Gold = Red Elixir

Obviously, if you ARE having HP or mana issues, you need to go back to base ASAP. This keeps your opponent from getting an easy kill because either your health was too low, or because you didn't have enough mana to defend yourself from an attack.
Quote:
Middle Game
As soon as you start seeing ganks being attempted, you need to get a point in Hawkshot if you haven’t already. This can save you and your team from getting jumped from the brush.

Middle game is really kind of an extension of early game for Ashe. Just keep trying to get kills with Arrow Blitz, farming the creeps and ghosts, and generally harassing your opponent(s) whenever you can. Don’t leave middle unless you’re going to the store, or unless the creeps are pushed to their tower…your job is to keep your tower safe until the team fights start.

One thing that does change here, is that many times opponents will send 2-3 mid in order to try to get your tower. I like to let them get a few hits on the tower, and THEN do an Arrow Blitz, which either scares them away to another lane, forces them to back off, or gets me a kill. The trick here is to wait until they have only a creep or two left and then Arrow, Volley (which should kill the creeps), and Frost Shot them. Hopefully, once the creeps are gone, your turret will target your opponent, and get you the kill. This is a great tactic when they think you’re gone to the store, but in reality you’re just off screen.

When you see the teams positioning for a team fight, make sure you are there to contribute. If it looks like it’ll take place in another lane besides mid, then go to that lane as soon as you see a fight is coming. Otherwise, just keep hanging out at mid for the eventual team fight that will take place there. Once the first team fight starts, it is officially late game for Ashe, where she truly shows her ability to be the Team’s Queen.
Quote:
Late Game
In team fights, you have 4 primary responsibilities: 1) Initiate with Arrow, 2) Interrupt Ultimates with Arrow, 3) Stun stealthy opponents with Arrow, 4) Chase if winning, kite if losing.

Before you can determine your role in a team fight, you must consider the other team and your own team. If they have a champ with an ultimate that can be stopped or hindered (Nunu, Warwick, Twitch, Tryndamere etc.) by a stun, then you should save your Arrow for that champ’s ultimate. In addition, if they have a stealth champ like Evelynn or Twitch, save your Arrow to stun them when the pop out of stealth so they can’t do their damage.

However, if your opponents do not have such a champion, or if your teammates have spammable abilities to control those champions, your job is to initiate the fight by trying to land your Arrow on a squishy. If your opponents are smart, they won’t let you do that, so you need to ask your team who they want you to target so you can make sure you are all going for the same person.

Throughout the entirety of the fight, you should fire Volley whenever it’s up…unless the mana usage keeps you from firing your Arrow. The AoE damage and slow from Volley will keep your opponents crawling along until the fight has been decided, at which point, you should promptly turn on Frost Shot, and either chase (if winning the fight) or kite (if losing the fight). You will need to be near the back lines during a fight, but once it’s over, you’ll need to be near the front to make sure you can land your slows for chasing or retreating.

Overall, when playing as Ashe, stay out of the conflict until you see your chance to hit hard. Think like a chess player controlling his queen…keeping the queen alive as long as possible allows her to be more effective. Usually, chess players are unwilling to sacrifice their queen until they can gain an advantage by doing so. The same is true of Ashe. Stay near the back, fire Volley to slow/damage, and use your Arrow to shutdown/initiate, but be willing to jump in and lay down the pain whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Eledhan

01-07-2011

Quote:
Appendix A - Side Laning

Introduction
This portion of the guide will focus on how to build and play as Ashe when you need to play on a side lane. This build is actually quite viable for solo mid, but in my personal opinion, it's not AS GOOD as the recommended build above. Yes, it's still competitive, but some of the concepts and strategies will vary depending on which build you play. The build I'm about to describe is designed for those who don't usually like playing solo mid or want to try something slightly different when soloing.

Runes
Marks = 9x Armor Penetration
Seals = 9x Mana Regeneration Per Level
Glyphs = 9x Cooldown Reduction Per Level
Quintessences = 3x Flat Health

Spells
Flash & Ghost

Masteries
9 / 0 / 21
This Mastery build is designed to allow you to fire off Volley and Arrow every time they're up. Very good for side laning.

Skill Order
Volley, Hawk Shot, Volley, Frost Shot, Volley, Enchanted Crystal Arrow.

Then Arrow > Volley > Frost Shot > Hawk Shot

This is changed from Solo Build because Hawk Shot prevents you from to face checking brush...a big no-no if you're against a powerful early game champ or someone who thrives in the brush, such as Nidalee or Caitlyn.

Survivability Build Order
This build order is for maximum survivability. Go with this if you are facing really nasty early game champs such as Urgot, Pantheon, Garen, etc. Also go with this build if you are playing 2v1 (make sure you grab Doran's Shield if you are).

-Doran's Blade / Shield & 1 Health Potion (Start)
-Doran's Blade & Boots of Speed (785)
-Doran's Blade & Boots of Swiftness (985)
-Doran's Blade & Pickaxe (1410)
-Sell Doran's for BF Sword (1632)
-Upgrade to Infinity Edge (1255)
-Follow Item Suggestions from Solo Mid Build

Harass Build Order
This build is for maximum damage and harassing. Go with this if you have a support champ in your lane or if you are facing really low HP opponents. You need to harass as much as possible if you have someone to keep your HP topped off or if your opponent is squishy.

-Long Sword & 2 Health Potions (wait at fountain for 2nd one)
-Long Sword ---> Brutalizer & Boots of Speed (1272)
-Boots of Swiftness (650)
-BF Sword (1850)
-Pickaxe (975)
-Upgrade to Infinity Edge (1255)
-Avarice Blade (750)
-Youmuu's Ghostblade (600)
-Follow Item Suggestions from Solo Mid Build

Early Game
The basic concept here is Survival > Farming > Harass. Do whatever you have to in order to stay alive. If that means heading back to base, that's fine. Grab the next item on your list (they're all cheap for this exact reason), then get back out there and keep up the farm. If you don't farm up enough gold, you'll be worthless late game. The early point into Hawk Shot lets you get more gold and also keeps you safe by checking for ganks and checking brush for your opponents.

Speaking of checking brush...if you can control the brush at the edges of the maps, you can focus on using Hawk Shot for checking the river. With Utility Ashe, you and your lane partner can probably go without buying wards if you control the brush at the edge of the map.

Because you'll be able to spam your Volleys a bit more than you would with the Solo Mid Build, be careful not to hog ALL the gold...your ally will still need to purchase things! You will probably find that your farming ability is pretty solid for a side lane because of Volley, but if you don't let your ally get some last hits, you'll be facing 2v1 with an ally feeding your opponents. DON'T DO IT!!!

There is one exception to this, though...tanks! The nice thing about tanks is they do most of their damage with their abilities and their crowd control (by letting you pump em full of arrows). This means they can focus on mitigation items, which are generally cheaper than damage items. You still need to be aware that your poor tank needs to get last hits also, but it's not as big a deal. This discussion on working with a teammate leads us right into...

Laning Partner
Since Ashe is squishy with plenty of physical damage, you want to lane with either a support, tank, or mage.

Support champs keep both themselves and you alive while you both farm and harass. If you get a support champ as a lane partner, you have taken care of your first concern...survivability. You should probably go with a Long Sword to start and focus on harassing and out-farming your opponents while your support keeps you both alive.

If you end up with a tank, remember that tanks take a few levels until they have their full arsenal at their disposal. They also have a rough time farming since almost all of their abilities and attacks are very short ranged. You should probably go with a Long Sword start and focus on harassing your opponents so your tank can get some last hits.

If you have a mage, he shouldn't have problems farming. The low c/d's that they typically build for as well as mana regen keeps them farming almost as good as you. Focus on surviving and out-farming your opponents. You should probably go with Doran's start so you can last longer in a fight. Grab Shield if they have ranged physical champs or Blade if they have tanks/mages. Since you and your partner will both be able to farm well, go ahead and farm up as much as possible. Think of it as a bit of a competition.

Middle Game
Once the first gank attempt has been made, be extremely careful about pushing towers. This will get you killed unless you know for sure where each champ is. Use Flash / Ghost to escape from a push. Use Arrow to stop chasers. Above all, make sure you have room to run, or you have one of your summoner spells up if you're going to push a tower.

If you went the survival route, you probably won't be able to do much pushing the tower since you are most likely with a mage champ. However, you can farm like crazy, and just wait until the team-fighting starts. In which case, you'll probably have the highest HP total (excluding tanks building HP) in the game. This makes you a serious threat because you still have plenty of damage. Put that asset to use!

If you went the harass route, prepare to be focused. Save your Flash & Ghost for escaping from ganks. Check the river often with Hawk Shot. Fire off Volley as much as possible and go back whenever the next item is available. Push the towers aggressively since you're going to be dishing out a lot of damage.

Arrow Blitzes
Unlike Solo Mid, you will not be able to Arrow Blitz as effectively unless your partner is ready for it. Make sure you communicate with them so you can co-ordinate who you're going to go for and focus them down as quickly as possible. This is most effective with a bursty champ (usually a mage), but can work well with a tank also if your tank has his CC ready.

If you and you partner can't take advantage of Arrow in the lane, set up a chasing scenario when coming back from base by hitting them while they attack your tower. This will allow you and your ally to chase them all the way back to their tower...use Hawk Shot to keep attacking them while they're in the brush!!! I can't emphasize that enough. As soon as your opponent nears the brush, fire Hawk Shot in the little gap between the two brushes to reveal them in both brush until you can get there. This maximizes your ability to chase.

Late Game
Be ready to run to wherever the first team-fight takes place. Chances are, if you were able to go with the harass build, your opponents will try to gank you because you're such a pain in the rear. Make sure you get help, and punish them for their stupidity. Best thing to do is encourage them to chase you to your turret, then smack them with Arrow & Volley while your turret chews them up. BEWARE THE ENEMY TANK!!! He'll turret dive you and laugh at the turret's pitiful damage.

Once the team fights start, you should play just like you would if you were Solo Mid...focus on pushing towers and contributing damage and perma slows to team fights while either initiating with Arrow or shutting down channeled Ultimates.
Quote:
Appendix B - Dangerous Opposing Champions
There are quite a number of dangerous champs to fight when you're playing Ashe, but the most dangerous are the melee champs who have the ability to jump on you and avoid your slows. Tanks are another tough champ type to fight, but hopefully by the time you face them, you'll have Last whisper ready to go and will simply destroy them in team fights. Casters aren't as big a deal since you can out-damage them early and late game you should build Banshee's if you're up against a tough one. Supports are really never an issue once you get a few damage items or Infinity Edge. Just help your team focus them down and turn it into a 4v5.

This is a partial list as a full list would take forever. However, if you have a champ you are facing that is really giving you problems, post it in this topic and I'll add it to the guide if the solution is not already explained in the Solo Mid section.

ANY Tank
First of all, don't fight them if you're alone. If you're with your team, don't fight them if you have any other available target. If you cannot attack anyone but the tank, do the following...

Get Last Whisper for their armor. Get Madred's if they're not building magic resist, if not, grab Phantom Dancer. Volley, right-click, laugh. If they charge you to focus you, Arrow them, and continue attacking...laugh some more. They shouldn't be able to do much to you since you can out-damage them and out-run them due to your slows. Fun times! Beware of Rammus, though...his Powerball ability does make him dangerous if you're getting chased...pop Ghost and get out of there!

Akali
Her burst is nasty, it really is. The thing to do with her is to arrow her butt so she can't move, and hopefully burst her down low enough to scare her off. She can't spell vamp while stunned, so her low HP is now a liability. If she just went into her stealth, she's either running or waiting to jump you again...assume she's waiting to jump you at all times. It's better for her to get away than for you to chase her and get killed.

Anivia
She's ultra squishy...avoid until late game, then just make sure you dodge her burst. If you do, pump her full of arrows...she'll go down quick. In team fights, Volley like mad and save your auto-attacks for Anivia if you're not in more immediate danger.

Blitzcrank
One of the few tanks that doesn't have to run up to you. Don't ever get caught by the rocket fist, otherwise you're dead. Avoid that, and Blitz is a piece of cake.

Fiddlesticks
You can't let Fiddle snare you with Fear. If you do, you're probably going to die. Just watch for his ult (he has to charge it up), and beware his other abilities. Use your Arrow on him in team fights to completely shut him down. If you don't, he'll just life steal all that HP back.

Jax
Man, this guy eats Ashe alive! Keep him at range with slows, and you should be fine. If he ever gets to jump on you, pop Ghost and RUN!!! You absolutely will NOT beat him 1v1. Only fight Jax if your team is nearby. His dodges and abilities will negate your damage and wipe out your HP and leave you looking like a fool!

Kassadin
He has a built in mini-flash. Don't chase him because his burst can destroy you. He has to be fairly close to you to work his magic, but if he hits you with silence, back up. Grab a Negatron Cloak and work on Banshee's to make him useless. Until then, stay safe around him.

Kennen
His burst is amazing if he lands the stun on you. Don't let him. Stay at range, dodge his skill shot, and focus on farming. If he has no armor, punish him early because he is very squishy.

Kog'Maw
Get movement speed as soon as possible. you will need it to dodge his slime and his ultimate. Stay away from your creeps where he likes to farm with his slime ball, and don't get to close if you're about to kill him. Chasing/running from Kog is best done with Flash & Ghost since he can lead his shots.

Master Yi
Due to Highlander, your slows won't do any good on Master Yi...pop ghost and run in the hopes that he'll follow. If he does, use Arrow at the very last second, then Volley & auto attack. If he goes into Meditate, run away. If he continues chasing, Volley and Frost Shot should keep him away from you.

Olaf
His ability to completely ignore your slows AND your Arrow makes him troublesome. Run from him while his ult is up, and then return the pain. He has some damage mitigation from abilities, but when that's down, he usually doesn't build armor items, so you should be able to out-damage him when he's waiting on cooldowns. Punish him for chasing you.

Pantheon
Try to harass only with Volley. Whatever you do, don't waste that passive critical hit on Pantheon's shield. Otherwise, stay at range, and avoid his spear and stun and you should do fine.

Sivir
You can't hope to out-farm her...either be content in preventing her push, or just harass her for an attempted kill. There's really very little you can do to Sivir if you're solo mid, other than to attempt to out-harass. However, if she is harassing you, you're in for a long fight. Max out Doran's Blades and get Swiftness & Red Elixir. Only sell a Doran's when you are ready to buy BF Sword. You're gonna need the HP.

Tryndamere
Oh, how I HATE this barbarian! If you are facing Tryndamere, try not to engage him unless there's a team fight...then ult him as soon as he uses his ultimate, followed by Frost Shots to keep him slowed...hopefully, you won't be his target...otherwise, you're going to die. Life steal won't work on him, Thornmail won't work on him, the only thing that will work is crowd control. Keep him slowed and run! As soon as his ult is done, though, unload everything you got! Just stay away from him if his ult is up and you should be fine.

Urgot
Try to stay out of his range early on, and then you'll be able to wipe the floor with him. Yes, he's powerful through middle game, but once late game arrives and you have IE + some crit chance, he basically becomes a bloated pin cushion full of arrows. Just try to farm until late game because you WILL NOT out-harass him during the early-mid game.

Vladimir
A very tough off-tank caster, Vlad's most dangerous ability is his pool and vampirism. If you simply buy the Negatron Cloak for Banshee's Veil, you pretty much countered everything Vlad can do until he gets spell penetration, by which time you will out-damage him. Vlad is a great champ to pick up a Madred's Bloodrazor after Infinity Edge...it'll help more than you think. Just wait until he uses the blood pool ability before shooting your Arrow...then do an Arrow Blitz.

Xin Zhao
Stay away. Seriously. His amazing CC while still damaging and healing will waste you so fast you won't be able to do anything. The only way to beat him is to Arrow followed by Volley and Frost Shot kiting. Otherwise, he'll chew you up and spit you out.

Zilean
Early game, you won't be able to do anything because of his bombs. As soon as you can, get Negatron Cloak and Boots of Speed so you can keep him from hitting you with his bombs (and save your minion wave if he does by running away). Focus on cheap items like more Doran's and The Brutalizer for maximum farming ability. Once you get past Middle Game, Zilean is useless. Focus him first, and he'll be forced to ult himself instead of that nasty tank you just spent 1 minute killing.
Quote:
Appendix C - Other Tips & Suggestions
Quote:
Credits

Castorid - Inspired me in my initial updating of the guide to accommodate multiple options for build orders.

SoFFacet - Contributed reasons for going BF Sword start in order to rush IE. Inspired me to revamp the item purchase on first trip back to base.

MeditationError - Contributed thoughts on starting with Doran's Shield instead of Doran's Blade.

Keirash - Recommended that I include a link for newer players to actually see the mastery build. Can't BELIEVE I didn't think of that the first time... Oh, well. Thanks Keirash!

Gormakr - Had a long discussion back and forth with me on move speed and utility Ashe. Haven't been able to try out move speed but he convinced me to try utility Ashe again. I have updated Appendix A after my discussions with him and my own experience with Utility Ashe in the side lane. I still like my version of the Solo Mid Build, but if playing the side, Gormakr is who inspired the build shown in Appendix A.
Closing Comments
There have been many iterations of my guide for Ashe, since she’s my favorite champion thus far, but this one far surpasses my previous efforts. Please comment on anything you think could use some improvement. I would love to make this the most comprehensive Ashe guide available!

Thanks to all of you who have helped improve this guide with your polite and intelligent discussions. I really appreciate it! Keep it up!

Happy Summoning!

SoFFacet

01-07-2011

Eledhan,

Quantifying the value of runes/masteries etc simply by counting up how many different goals they affect could be both misleading and confusing since certain goals are more important than others, and certain things have more of an affect on a particular goal than other things, etc. You can't always just count up the number of useful things that something affects to get an accurate impression of whether its the best thing to build.

Overall I think that the list of goals in your post two posts above this one is very accurate, but somewhere beforehand there should be an explanation of the overall vision for how to play, so that the goals make more sense when they are listed later.

For example, explanations of what should Ashe be doing at XYZ stages of the game, why doing those things is better than doing other things, why Ashe is better at those things than other possible champion selections, and then we can get to why the items/runes/masteries/spells we choose help Ashe do those things better than other items/runes/masteries that we forsake.

I'll start writing some paragraphs to that end tonight, and post back later.

And about BC, I basically agree. Its a shame since its almost there, and I would so love to have another viable item path. Alas, IE-PD-LW still reigns supreme.

Eledhan

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Eledhan,

Quantifying the value of runes/masteries etc simply by counting up how many different goals they affect could be both misleading and confusing since certain goals are more important than others, and certain things have more of an affect on a particular goal than other things, etc. You can't always just count up the number of useful things that something affects to get an accurate impression of whether its the best thing to build.
Oh, how well I know this...

It's just nice to lay things out in an organized manner before trying to come up with "ultimate" builds and such.

Quote:
Overall I think that the list of goals in your post two posts above this one is very accurate, but somewhere beforehand there should be an explanation of the overall vision for how to play, so that the goals make more sense when they are listed later.
The overall vision will be very similar to the OP of this thread...just as a heads up, I don't intend to stray away from the whole Queen in Chess analogy...

Quote:
For example, explanations of what should Ashe be doing at XYZ stages of the game, why doing those things is better than doing other things, why Ashe is better at those things than other possible champion selections, and then we can get to why the items/runes/masteries/spells we choose help Ashe do those things better than other items/runes/masteries that we forsake.
Excellent ideas...I just wanted to go ahead and get things rolling...and since page 15 has the same number of posts at the top as the OP did, I figured we could do our draft here...then post our final draft to the first page...

Quote:
I'll start writing some paragraphs to that end tonight, and post back later.
Awesome! I'll be watching this thread all weekend, and also adding some stuff in as well. By the way...I'm moving away from the survival build and more into the utility build...just food for thought. The survival build is great for tough battles, but it loses effectiveness very quickly...

Quote:
And about BC, I basically agree. Its a shame since its almost there, and I would so love to have another viable item path. Alas, IE-PD-LW still reigns supreme.
LOL! Too true...Well, I look forward to seeing what you come up with...

Solid Locke

01-08-2011

Hey guys, what do you think about organizing the guide like this?

First, in the introduction, put Ashes task in the game, like in your first post on this page (only without listing how to achieve them, I think it takes too much space and will all be covered later) and maybe Ashes pro's and con's.

Then, you list the viable summoner spells, masteries and runes, and write their advantages and disadvantages. This is followed by the core items, followed by end game/situational items, which are all explained in small paragraphs.

Then comes the gameplay section, where you break down the game into early, mid and late, explaining Ashes role, strengths and weaknesses in all of them, briefly touching on how to adjust your play depending on the runes/masteries/summoners you went.

In the end, there would be examples of the most common setups, as well as maybe explaining their strengths and weaknesses

Eledhan

01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Locke View Post
Hey guys, what do you think about organizing the guide like this?

First, in the introduction, put Ashes task in the game, like in your first post on this page (only without listing how to achieve them, I think it takes too much space and will all be covered later) and maybe Ashes pro's and con's.

Then, you list the viable summoner spells, masteries and runes, and write their advantages and disadvantages. This is followed by the core items, followed by end game/situational items, which are all explained in small paragraphs.

Then comes the gameplay section, where you break down the game into early, mid and late, explaining Ashes role, strengths and weaknesses in all of them, briefly touching on how to adjust your play depending on the runes/masteries/summoners you went.

In the end, there would be examples of the most common setups, as well as maybe explaining their strengths and weaknesses
This is Eledhan, and I approve of this message!

Seriously, though, thanks for the input...that's pretty much what I was going to do...I keep wanting to sit down and just write this stuff out, but I'm too interested in playing the game when I actually have the time...oh, well.

SoFFacet

01-08-2011

Wrote a few paragraphs. Some of this might be specific to my playstyle, its hard to encompass all styles at the same time. The same organizational structure could be applied to other Ashe styles when they are written up. Still, most of it should apply in general, as all our Ashe are fairly similar. This is to be placed after sections detailing Ashe's abilities (AQWER+passive), roles (DPS, Poke, CC, Initiate), and techniques (farming, harassing, kiting, chasing, etc).

Quote:
The first two things that Ashe wants to acquire are movement and attack damage. Early movement is primarily because every other champion will be buying it early as well, and she needs to keep up. She cannot very well kite or chase or position well if she is significantly slower than all of her enemies. After movement is acquired, Ashe needs to start improving her damage output. The best stat to improve first is Attack Damage, since it affects both A and W, and is scaled by her passive - whereas Attack Speed affects only A, does not benefit from her passive, and is considered a weaker stat in LoL in general due to how infrequently one is able to take advantage of it by standing still auto-attacking.

Interestingly, the more Attack Damage you build, the more attractive Attack Speed will become. Even though it will not happen every time, cases will arise when you will either be able or be forced into attacking the same target several times in a row. The increase in maximum dps is simply too great to ignore, so after your first damage item is completed, Attack Speed becomes a priority.

After both a large amount of Attack Damage and Attack Speed are acquired, it will be nearing the end of the game. The reality is that unless your team is steamrolling to imminent victory, the enemy team will have at least one or two fatties with good armor and hp that will zone you away from the rest of the enemy team whenever they can. You will not be able to walk past them or you will get CCed and die, therefore you must be able to kill them as quickly as possible. Therefore Ashe will need strong Armor Penetration.

So to summarize: First we build movement to keep up with everyone else, and AD to scale A and W. Then we build AS to scale the AD that we just bought. Then we build ArPen to counter our counter during the end game.
After this there would be an explanation of the various options available for Movement, AD, AS, and APen, a breakdown of their pros and cons, ultimately concluding with the reasoning behind why Infinity Edge - Phantom Dancer - Last Whisper (in some order) is the best choice.

Shagrarz

01-08-2011

Dont forget to add in Brutalizer-->Ghostblade somewhere in that list of best choice items...as that cdr is boss, not to mention a little extra AD and ArPen.

Eledhan

01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagrarz View Post
Dont forget to add in Brutalizer-->Ghostblade somewhere in that list of best choice items...as that cdr is boss, not to mention a little extra AD and ArPen.
Absolutely! The crit chance is also nice. Brutalizer makes a great starting point for side lanes where Ashe will be a bit starved for gold, and, it turns into an excellent item with a 4 second ghost or tower melter.

Thanks for the pointers, and please keep it up so we can keep this guide up to date, accurate, and the best location for info on Ashe.