Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Improved Options Menu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rayven

UX Designer

09-06-2013

Need to quickly set all your hotkeys to Smart Cast? Things just got easier with improvements we’ve made to the options menu. We’ve sped up common tasks and made things more intuitive and easier to find, meaning you’re back in the game with your options fixed up faster than Hecarim with homeguard boots. This is the first step towards improving options in LoL – we’ll continue iterating and improving the experience going forward.

Here are the highlights from the new menu:

Usability Improvements
• Reorganized and clearer navigation that lets you easily switch through different pages
• Changes are preserved across pages until you hit OK
• Restore now defaults to a per-screen basis so you don’t clobber all of your settings at once
• Scrolling. Yes, scrolling with your actual mouse wheel

Hotkeys
• Dedicated buttons so you can quickly enable and disable Smart Cast
• New ways to quickly change your main hotkeys or find that seldom used one lower down in the list

Video
• A new slider that adjust all video/graphic settings to an overall quality level
• Switching resolutions should be noticeably faster for many players

Interface
• Key interface options now update in real-time as you adjust the slider (this includes the HUD, minimap and chat scaling, as well as a test sound to indicate volume levels)

More Options
• Just kidding, we removed this section and re-organized its contents into other, more appropriate sections

As players ourselves, we understood there was an opportunity to make the options menu experience better so players can spend less time navigating and more time playing League. As with anything on the PBE, we need your feedback to improve this feature. Hotkeys and options differ widely from player to player and we’re interested in how these changes impact you.

Rolderiene

09-06-2013

this is awesome, but could we adjust settings without having to be in game to do so?

Zerglinator

09-06-2013

I like that switching to Smartcast will be easier.

Riot Reinboom

Software Engineer

09-06-2013

To note, the new options menu is not slated for 3.12 as we would first like to ensure it's as fit for your scrumptious consumption as possible.

I've attached what it looks like for those who can't currently login to the PBE with my [Foxfire] Ahri setup.

Phrixscreoth

Recruiter

09-06-2013

That looks sexy.

Needles K

09-06-2013

Is this still going to allow for having both smartcast and normalcast keybinds? I have it so QWER are smart and holding it shift makes it normal, which works really well for me on everyone.

Hextech Kyubey

09-06-2013

It's glorious

Sageoffire

09-06-2013

I have been waiting forever for a change like this. Since i dont have a PBE account i cant exactly check it out myself, so i have to ask about it :P

Rather than rewrite my thought, ill just link a post i made a while back in the HUD discussion forum.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2615314&highlight=keybinds

Basicaly, i change my binds pretty much every single game, this has been a PAIN IN THE ASS in the past. how much less of a pain will the change make it?

im hoping for something like this:

Quote:
Sageoffire:
-snip-
I would like to be able to say
Ability1 is F
Ability2 is E
Ability3 is W
Ability4 is Q
Smartcast is Shift
Selfcast is Ctrl
Levelup is Alt

and have the game automatically realize that when i click Shift-W that means that i want to smartcast Ability3, which is bound to W

Ygg7alem

09-06-2013

dem hotkeys lookin FINE

Rayven

UX Designer

09-06-2013

Quote:
Rolderiene:
this is awesome, but could we adjust settings without having to be in game to do so?

Not with this release, but we know that players want to set their options outside of the game. With this set of improvements, we wanted to focus on speeding up the in-game options experience.

Please test the menu out for yourself and let us know if we've improved it for you!