Diamond 1 Garen @ Riot/Balance Team - Why NERF Garen?!?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbamaStank

09-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristophoros View Post
Ok I'll take your word for it. But the average damage of Judgement is higher in all cases anyway.

So basically you'd have to argue that 30% base crit chance isn't reliable enough.
Think of it like this: 80% of the time you won't buy Infinity Edge, right now. So even though it can crit, it is still better to itemize defense and rely on your good AD scalings and your ultimate.

You buy IE late game if you really want to still do damage. But by this point, whether or not Garen is doing damage won't decide the game. That's the ADC's time to shine.

The point is it makes his early game damage weaker and less reliable, in exchange for some more damage late game.

I've looked at the math, and the best analogy I can give is this:

Is it optimal to buy Infinity Edge first on Garen? Hell no.

This change is just that; taking away CD and giving me crit.

Croanin

09-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbamaStank View Post
Think of it like this: 80% of the time you won't buy Infinity Edge, right now. So even though it can crit, it is still better to itemize defense and rely on your good AD scalings and your ultimate.

You buy IE late game if you really want to still do damage. But by this point, whether or not Garen is doing damage won't decide the game. That's the ADC's time to shine.

The point is it makes his early game damage weaker and less reliable, in exchange for some more damage late game.

Exactly, IE is a final item if anything. Hell these days I opt for Ghostblade instead, you get some crit, extra ARP to stack with your BC and runes, AD and an active to help with Garen's mobility. Meanwhile its way cheaper.

Khristophoros

The Council

09-07-2013

Quote:

It's only less reliable early but not weaker average damage early. It's more average damage in all cases.

DrunkenToolShed

09-07-2013

Bump

LightAce

09-07-2013

Bump for Demacian Justice

pao

09-07-2013

nerf garen. easy mode champ that is also a lane bully and incredibly hard to gank.

Sorcery

09-07-2013

Singed.

Golden Dawn Mage

09-07-2013

I like Garen, and also didn't think he needed a nerf. So I upvoted.

I think you cared a tad too much though.

Felix Mortem

09-07-2013

I don't play garen but as a veteran ryze still recoiling from his wounds I solute you. Good luck getting these changes it.

Kyrrion

09-07-2013

Quote:

They're not really "taking away" CD.

They've "increased" it by 2 seconds but the CD timer now starts on activation. So by spinning fully, you actually cut the CD by .5 seconds. The more CDR you get will also benefit the new calculation more, because you'll always have to throw on another 2.5 seconds on the older version.

The only problem with this is that you can't elect to stop spinning now, and if you could the CD would be one second longer in comparison to the old version. It's a weird kind of change.