Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why The Metta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyroe

Recruiter

08-27-2013

We all know what the metta is and what it consists of. The same old 1 top, ap mid, 1 jungle, adc and support bot blah blah blah. Why not take that support/adc combo up top? Wouldnt it crush a single (usually melee) Champ out of its lane, pretty much shutting it down for your adc to farm?
Or what about double adc bot lane against their adc/support. 1 support can not possibly keep up with that much damage output.

Now, Ive only been able to have 2 games where the team let me implement the double bot adc, but I will tell you that both time it was a great success. Especially when It was a melee support.
And late game, our top and jungle were naturally tanky enough that our damage output won team fights no problem.

I think this is a great strategy that should be thought as a valid way to go as well.

Thoughts?

SpaceToad

08-27-2013

If both teams are of equal skill level then the meta always wins.

"Why not take that support/adc combo up top?"
Because most good tops will farm under their tower and receive more experience because they are alone in lane, but the adc/marksman and support will be splitting their experience. Then, when the jungle comes top he and the solo top will be higher level and smash the duo lane. Plus, since your bot lane is solo the other team will have a huge dragon advantage. Dragons win games!

"what about double adc bot lane against their adc/support."
Against good players this will not work, because the two marksmen will have to split gold. The marksman with the best toys will beat 2 marksmen with weaker toys. Plus, remember supports,with their auto-attacks and spells, do more dmg without items than marksmen do. What you are describing is called a kill lane and only works if you get kills. Gold from CS/minions wins games.

Decent Player NA

08-27-2013

Just go on youtube and look up LoL meta and there is a video that describes the diffenrent metas thru league history and why we still use the one we do today.

ibnfadlanIII

08-27-2013

the support adc combo top has been used, lane switches were meta in lcs play for a while there. Skyroe is right about the 2v1 lane being able to shut down the solo champ most often the ad/support would deny the top laner almost all their cs and then poke and dive him very early into the game. Though changes to tower damage and the end of killing double golems early has made this a less common strategy. (this also requires a lot more coordination then most solo que teams are capable of)

You aren't necessarily correct about the 2 adc bot however. Particularly in the early game an adc is not much stronger than a support if at all, the only difference is they often lack the hard crowd control necessary to secure kills or set up for ganks. Not to mention they will either have to share cs or one of them will fall off hard late game.

Also the idea of a ap mid as being meta isn't necessarily true either ad bruisers are often accepted in this role and certain ap champs are welcomed top as well.

This isn't to say that crazy strategies can't work, I've got a group of five random people to all play adcarries and we stomped, this however does not make the strategy optimal we simply outplayed the enemy team.

Even so I do agree that often times people are too attached to the meta, particularly in solo que. I would much prefer an oddball strategy where the players know how to play their champs as opposed to throwing random people into roles they aren't used to. (i.e. I would prefer a double bruiser bottom to an adc who is bad a csing and doesn't understand the nuances of positioning).

USD Janek

08-27-2013

To put it simply: All strategies can work, however the tried and tested comp. that is generally foolproof (in that there are no real obvious flaws to it that can crush it).

Duo ADC bot is a very fun lane, and I love to run it. However, say your lane goes badly, and the enemy jungler ganks and gets you once. You now have a lane of underfed ADCs. Shutting down an ADC is always important, now you are just setting yourself up for the jungler and bot lane shutting down two at once. The Support often has the sustain and CC that can mess up a kill lane. Personally whenever I see a kill lane, I pull out Leona or Taric, no amount of ADC-ness is powerful enough early game to face the sunshine and gems. A kill lane without kills, is two weak ADC with no one warding (since most of solo q doesn't ever ward).

(Note: these are my views, and are not without problems in themselves, I summarize and generalize to not give you an essay to read, which no one comes on the forums to do. These are just my main ideas on how your idea with duo adcs, can fall apart.

Vorbain

08-27-2013

The problem with the meta is that Riot has been actively balancing for it since season 2. They also nerf new emergent meta's to keep the status quo, not to mention new champions designed with the meta in mind.

Zaphery

08-27-2013

Quote:
Vorbain:
The problem with the meta is that Riot has been actively balancing for it since season 2. They also nerf new emergent meta's to keep the status quo, not to mention new champions designed with the meta in mind.

This is exactly why the meta does not change. Most of the champions are designed with the meta in mind.

Call me a DotA fanboy but the reason Defense is able to have more starting setups is because the map layout and champion design allow for it. The biggest reason is however that there are very few heroes that can actually start in the jungle at level 1 (Even so, sometimes the aggressive/defensive trilane is just better than a jungler for a specific strat.).

If you really want the Meta to change the jungle has to be changed drastically so that there can be multiple optimal starts (That's only a starting change too. You need a lot more changes if you want to get rid of the required jungler role).

No one is forcing you to follow the meta. If you know what you're doing, do whatever you want. If someone flames you for trying something different, just tell him to piss off.

I like the way LoL is right now. I don't want it to become another DotA clone.

obnoxiousplayz

08-27-2013

In the LCS you typically see lane swaps based on the bot lane matchups. For instance since ashe is weak in lane and the opposing team picks a cait or twitch, you would lane swap ashe and the support to top. What you trade in dragon control (read 7-8 minute dragon and turret) you gain in taking a top lane turret. The reason this isn't done in solo queue and especially not in bronze, silver, or even gold is because most top laners don't know how to deal with 1v2's as they need to be practiced. Also it messes up junglers and their typical routes. Thats why the meta is the way it is.