Do you see what I see? (Brush & Fog of War Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeonCapren

12-29-2013

I in fact do believe the Fog o' War should not reveal champions during a charge up, or when casting an ability. To me the Fog o' War is a rare and defensive place to be, and having control over these brushes are extremely viable to winning (or loosing) a game. I feel that while Auto Attacks should reveal the player, a skill/ability should not. Why? Because, players should have to fight over control for the brush, and this would add a more strategic and safe element to the game.
It Would.....
bring competition over the brushes
allow for a more strategic game style
bring life to the Fog O' War concept

ZeroFreakReth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2013

I think that targeted actions should reveal but actions that don't require a target shouldn't reveal.

Auto Attacks - target so they reveal
Lock-On Abilities - target so they reveal
Skillshots - don't target so they don't reveal
AoE Ground Targeted - don't target so they don't reveal
Point Blank AoE - don't target so they don't reveal

For abilities like Nunu ult as long as the center of the ability is in the bush the whole ability should be hidden (including the caster) from those outside the bush. Another way of doing these abilities would be to hide the caster but reveal the area of the ability that lies outside of the bush. If this is the case then all Ground Targeted AoE abilities should reveal their area of effect that lies outside the bush.

I think this would be a pretty simple way of doing it since its fairly simple to explain to new players. "If the ability requires a target it reveals the caster, if it doesn't require a target it doesn't reveal the caster." Then to explain AoE, "If their center is within a bush they are completely hidden" or "Their area of effect that lies outside a bush can be seen by those outside the bush."

Jamnon

12-31-2013

Quote:
"Also, regarding your OP. I rather like that Nidalee is the master of the brush. That's her domain and it's always been her playstyle. It would feel dirty to me to take it away from her. I say this as somebody who plays Nid like, once every 2 months or so."

'The idea of certain abilities/champions having some form of "brush stealth" makes sense to me so long as the mechanic is well communicated to both the player of that champion and anyone playing against them'

Would it make much of a difference if you added some tool tip into "brush stealth" champions' passives or gave them a persistent buff like the 'I'm a ninja' buff?

Qballony

01-01-2014

I think anything that influences another champion or a minion should reveal: ie. Soraka heal and her silence both reveal her, unless she heals herself. Blitz using his speed up should not.

Jlhudson

01-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey guys, just thinking outloud here and I don't want to derail the conversation but as it is related:
Does anyone think there should be a good way to tell if you are being revealed by your own actions (not just standing in a warded brush) and if so any suggestions on how to do this without visually crowding the screen?
You know the little eye that comes when Twisted Fate activates Destiny? Use that.

Mike4Real

01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey Mike,

Sorry -- I probably should've replied to this thread earlier
Its cool, you were busy working which is probably a good thing. If you need a hand in testing something specific or need a certain log upload from someone I'm willing to help out.

As a side note I play on a Mac.

Partholonian

01-04-2014

I don't remember if I said this already on a previous page, but I think that anything that targets the ground should always reveal the area of the ground that is affected, whether it is in brush or not. Counter play to those abilities typically is to get out of the fire, but you can't do that if you can't see where it is, so allowing the area to be hidden deprives the other side of the opportunity to play against the ability. Allowing the whole ability to be hidden because only part of it is in brush is unintuitive and feels unfair, and revealing only part of the area seems like a lot of technical difficulty for little gain (since most of the areas are shapes simple enough that a player could deduce the rest of it).

In the specific case of Nunu's ult, I think it should not reveal Nunu (until it hits someone), but only reveal the area; players who know what is going on can still chuck skillshots toward the center of the area of effect. Most skillshots won't interrupt him though, and Nami's, which would, is probably too slow. Targeted CC (or targeted anything for that matter) would be unusable unless you could get into the same bush in time. For the few abilities that could still be fired in blind and interrupt him, I think it would probably be ok for those to stand as counters to Nunu but then, I don't play him. He might need to be buffed elsewhere to make up for there being more counter play to his ult. But even if so, I think it would be better overall for opponents of Nunu to have that opportunity to respond.

For Viktor's laser, seeing the laser would give you some idea where Viktor is, but he still technically wouldn't be revealed for purposes of AA and targeted abilities.

Mike4Real

01-31-2014

Can we talk about this bug from today's LCS game? I thought these we're supposed to be gone by now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ot_vision_ffs/

Potato Leviathan

01-31-2014

There is still the mini map bug where you see an enemy somewhere else on the map and they jump to another spot on the map after a few moments of seeing them out of the fog of war. Also, why is there the recall animation for when an enemy champ gets out of the fog of war? Riot please