Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Why should you be nice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TickleMe

Senior Member

08-25-2013

They say that if you are a toxic player you deserve to be banned and reported. That the only way to play is by being the nice guy who babies his team and tells them everything is gonna be alright. No forget that I'm not playing to be your buddy or friend I'm here to win games. If you feel bad because people talk **** about you and rage to bad. Theres a reason people rage and its because 1 you're bad and 2 you deserve it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doomster

Senior Member

08-25-2013

All raging at people in games does is make them play worse. I'm not saying tell them they are doing good but you are better off not saying anything and focusing on your own play. The time you spend typing in game to rage is better spent focused on the actual gameplay. Also if you make a mistake your teammates are even less willing to follow you if you are being a dick.

TL;DR: Being a dick makes people play worse, saying nothing is much better


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

steveelite

Senior Member

08-25-2013

I'm not saying being a troll or dckhead to everybody is the right thing to do, but how is telling somebody to stop sucking going to make them play worse? If somebody tells me to stop sucking it motivates me to try even harder to prove that dckhead wrong and make him stfu. Telling somebody everything is fine when they are feeding seems asz-backwords, wouldn't they just think they are doing good and continue sucking? I think there should be a middle ground. Constructive criticism without insults seems to be the way to go, but whenever i try that people just cry and say "I'M REPORTING YOU" I think they need to bump up the age limit for this game, might weed out a fraction of the idiots, but that won't ever happen.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Conail

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Give constructive feedback, tell them what they are doing wrong and how to correct it because they might not know what they are doing poorly. Saying "stop sucking" doesn't help them improve it just makes people upset and puts them in a frame of mind that is detrimental to their skill. You don't have to baby anyone or "be their buddy" but there are tactful ways to help people improve. I agree that you shouldn't say everything is fine when it isn't because that is equally nonconstructive, but that isn't what people mean when they say to not be toxic. Raging at people is very immature and doesn't help anyone most of the time. I was playing a match a while ago where I was the adc and I kept getting caught and killed and someone told me where I should position myself as to not get so easily caught instead of just raging at me and saying "lrn2ply noob omg u suck" or something like that which would not have helped at all. So either just say nothing at all or offer ways for them to actually improve.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voyles

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
iNekron:
They say that if you are a toxic player you deserve to be banned and reported. That the only way to play is by being the nice guy who babies his team and tells them everything is gonna be alright. No forget that I'm not playing to be your buddy or friend I'm here to win games. If you feel bad because people talk **** about you and rage to bad. Theres a reason people rage and its because 1 you're bad and 2 you deserve it.

Riot hired Jeffrey Lin who holds a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience from the University of Washington. Lin worked with Valve before Riot. He conducted research on games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and DOTA2.

There is research that shows that people who are nicer in games do tend to win more than those who are toxic. Riot has also shared their results with the Tribunal and Report system with other game developers at the Game Developer's Conference.

Riot is actually using a scientific approach to provide a better gaming experience for the majority of players. If you have been raging in game and have been reported, please don't come here to the forums to rage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TickleMe

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
steveelite:
I'm not saying being a troll or dckhead to everybody is the right thing to do, but how is telling somebody to stop sucking going to make them play worse? If somebody tells me to stop sucking it motivates me to try even harder to prove that dckhead wrong and make him stfu. Telling somebody everything is fine when they are feeding seems asz-backwords, wouldn't they just think they are doing good and continue sucking? I think there should be a middle ground. Constructive criticism without insults seems to be the way to go, but whenever i try that people just cry and say "I'M REPORTING YOU" I think they need to bump up the age limit for this game, might weed out a fraction of the idiots, but that won't ever happen.

Exactly


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Artist Bogrim

Senior Member

08-25-2013

I told a guy today that he was low. I was his support in bot lane and he was a silver 3 guy in a game full with gold 2-4 players. He kept failing to pick up the kills despite having an unused Ignite and dashed in the opposite direction several times when I engaged, only to realize what was going on and run back in way too late.

In the end of the game he told me the exact kind of arguments you used, that I made mistakes just like him and that I should have been nicer to him if I wanted better results. That was a load of ****. He took offense at the slightest insinuation of his performance after letting several kills go---he wasn't upset because I told him he was low, he got upset because he was already angry with himself knowing the enemy adc was just outplaying him and his own support ended up doing as much damage as him in the end of the game.

There are times where someone will rage because they are bad and blame other players unfairly, but there are also times where you should look inwards and realize you are making mistakes. What bothers me is this attitude, demanding everyone on your team should be a better person---why don't you just bear with it, apologize and stop being so uptight about it? When I play bad, and I sometimes do, I never hesitate to ask for advice or practice. It's unbelievable how you expect strangers to sugarcoat your mistakes in an all-in competition.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MarhsallLee67

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
steveelite:
If somebody tells me to stop sucking it motivates me to try even harder to prove that dckhead wrong and make him stfu.

there's a mute button for that.

but that's just you- most people, whether or not they are sucking, would end up getting into a heated debate with said person, and people would just rageragerage the whole game, possibly dragging other people from the team into the argument at one point or another. insulting people helps no one- giving constructive criticism does.

if you see somebody losing a lane, instead of saying "omg stop feeding you suck huehuehuehue", instead say something like "don't over-extend so much", "just farm at your turret and keep the river warded".

also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TickleMe

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
MarhsallLee67:
there's a mute button for that.

but that's just you- most people, whether or not they are sucking, would end up getting into a heated debate with said person, and people would just rageragerage the whole game, possibly dragging other people from the team into the argument at one point or another. insulting people helps no one- giving constructive criticism does.

if you see somebody losing a lane, instead of saying "omg stop feeding you suck huehuehuehue", instead say something like "don't over-extend so much", "just farm at your turret and keep the river warded".

also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7TWpRXyRY)

If you could talk to your team this game would be so much better


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MarhsallLee67

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
iNekron:
If you could talk to your team this game would be so much better

God invented the keyboard for a reason.