@Riot Why exactly can't you put FINISHED REWORKS (like Xerath) on the PBE now?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xYol0swag420x

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Because the state of PBE right now is such that we expect PBE to be the *next* patch in the cycle, not the patch X months down the road. (Where X is a value greater than 1, but definitely less than 1,000,000)
Replays where


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Because the state of PBE right now is such that we expect PBE to be the *next* patch in the cycle, not the patch X months down the road. (Where X is a value greater than 1, but definitely less than 1,000,000)
Oh. Good work finishing Xerath so quick.

Does that mean we might see patches 1,000,001 cycles or greater down the road, on the PBE anytime?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vyro

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana0J View Post
I'd imagine part of it is just the nature of the PBE in general. Usually any huge gamebreaking aspects to a change are caught internally, so the PBE is the first chance to get any large-scale results on how a change impacts balancing and gameflow. Also, people tend to want to play the newer/most changed stuff on the PBE in the first place. So if they want to test how a change works, they need to test it in the environment in which that change exists; if they had the Xerath changes there at the same time as the Yi rework, Lucian, Elise nerfs, Jayce nerfs, and who knows what else then it can become extremely hard to get a good idea of which changes are doing what, since with balance lots of things are relative and have to be considered as such, it's not just each change in a vacuum. I'd imagine that's what "lol release schedule" means. With a game that has such a huge emphasis on its competitive aspects, releasing a flood of new content can be hugely disruptive at first (which is why they wait for any systematic changes to be done between seasons).
But again, there's no BIG changes on PBE as we speak, so why aren't they releasing SOMETHING?

I'd even take a champ with only AAs that couldn't leave spawn at this point, at least it would be new.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lemme play mid

Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingHater View Post
Also I wish these reworks would come out sooner because I'm afraid to play Heimer, Rengar or Xerath because I don't want to start loving them and then have the rework ruin it.
This is what I'm scared of too. When I become in love with an unpopular champ I feel like they will be reworked and I'll lose what I love about them. For example, a lot of Karma mains were sad about the rework, because except for the ult she was a completely different champ.

I play Gangplank a lot these days, probably my main at the moment, and I dont see anyone else play him. Furthermore, I am playing AP GP OP most of the time, and in a rework I'm gonna doubt he'll be viable in a rework. It's just scary, Because I'm considering maining him for awhile, but if changes happen it'd ruin me


Just my 2 cents I suppose


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingHater View Post
But again, there's no BIG changes on PBE as we speak, so why aren't they releasing SOMETHING?

I'd even take a champ with only AAs that couldn't leave spawn at this point, at least it would be new.
Because the Finals are happening soon. They don't want to release any big changes until this stuff is over and done with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gentleman Thief

Senior Member

08-25-2013

And if they were doing what you say you want them to do, you'd be complaining about how much the game is changing and how they should leave well enough alone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Majin Bl3u

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Because the state of PBE right now is such that we expect PBE to be the *next* patch in the cycle, not the patch X months down the road. (Where X is a value greater than 1, but definitely less than 1,000,000)
No offense, but this post seems pretty idealistic and ignorant. Lucian was added to PBE forever-ago, and how many patches came out on live before he was actually included? There is obviously a system in place such that the PBE build is not an exact copy of the next patch's build. I still don't see why xerath couldn't be dropped into the pbe so we can test him out and provide feedback. I mean, the more time we get to try out the changes before he goes to live, the more we will be able to get a feel for his true power level.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizzadDeBz

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Because the state of PBE right now is such that we expect PBE to be the *next* patch in the cycle, not the patch X months down the road. (Where X is a value greater than 1, but definitely less than 1,000,000)
Idk man, for Lucian x seemed to approximate 1,000,000. Zazing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Labcown

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Basically, because the PBE is open to (most) everyone, putting up a rework in anything but it's near-finished-just-needs-polishing state is a terrible idea.

No offense to anyone specifically, but as a whole the community has this sort of knee-jerk reaction to anything, and if Xerath needed to take on another direction during this Rework and he was already put on the PBE, it'd cause nothing but needless frustration from the community, I.E. "HOW DARE U SKUMBAG ROIT TAKE AWAY AWESOME LAZER BEAMS FROM XERATH!?"

Feedback at these earlier stages would be nice, and I think a more private testing server where a smaller amount of Pros/Trusted Players were brought in to give feedback would be optimal for such a process, and from what I've heard, Riot does just that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bl3u View Post
No offense, but this post seems pretty idealistic and ignorant. Lucian was added to PBE forever-ago, and how many patches came out on live before he was actually included? There is obviously a system in place such that the PBE build is not an exact copy of the next patch's build. I still don't see why xerath couldn't be dropped into the pbe so we can test him out and provide feedback. I mean, the more time we get to try out the changes before he goes to live, the more we will be able to get a feel for his true power level.
Okay, so Xerath explained it really nicely and kindly. With the numbers and everything.

Did you notice how this patch is 3.10a? That's because the "a" part doesn't count as an actual cycle. Don't presume to know how naming conventions for software works, if you don't. It wasn't anticipated, and so for every patch that was not anticipated, they increment the letter once. The next patch cycle will be 3.11, even if tomorrow they release 3.10b.

But I have a feeling you just want to see Xelnrath, because you're bored, and you'll resort to any flagrant insult or lie in an attempt at persuasion.