I got Plat II playing almost exclusively Swain

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GuiltyGecko

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirixan View Post
Are you playing support swain or something? Your creep score is insanely low for the games you've been winning, so I was just curious.
Most likely he roams a lot. That's what most high level mid laners do, and swain has 2 forms of CC to help secure kills along with massive damage when he ganks. This explains his low CS, but high kills and short games.

Grimwohl

08-25-2013

I feel like most people don't try him because they don't have any big or apparent indicator as to where his power is,because most of his numbers look small upon initial inspection.

Psychotic Man

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
Swain is a pretty powerful champion under the right circumstances, but is typically seen as unpopular. We generally attribute this to his 3 DoT spells and the one delayed skillshot, as deferred reward in our game are appreciated/valued less unless their power is pretty massive (think Death Mark)). That said, a few questions for you sir:

1. Do you feel like you don't have -enough- items to build? Which stats are most important to you as a Swain player? I've always felt like i needed Mana, Mana regen, Health, AP, CDR, Pen, and then Resists - and have often found it difficult to itemize overall.

2. Without buffing Swain (you can err on this a little), do you have any suggestions to make the lives of Swain players easier (QoL) or simply more fun? (PSA: We consider QoL typically as changes that smooth out a champion that aren't power-level focused - adding ratios, ranges, etc don't count typically)

3. What do you feel like is Swain's 'fantasy' as a game goes on - what do you feel defines him? Champions like Ezreal and Vayne want to dart around a fight dealing damage and kiting, Mages like Syndra and Veigar want to set up and then crush their opponent in one blow - what do you think is your 'I am Epic' moment for Swain?

3a. If you do have an endgame fantasy that you think fits Swain, do you think it's working out atm? Are there things you think we could do to improve on it?

(This isn't a precursor to a 'Let's Talk' thread or a Swain rework, just up late watching Gamescom and sincerely interested in what you'd answer as a Swain player.)

Let me know what you think.
I know it will be considered a minor rework, but it would be nice if swain's Q dealt half its damage at once and the other as DoT. It would allow his Q to atleast be able to secure him a kill from a fleeing enemy, or take advantage of a cc'ed enemy, like burty casters do.

I always imagine Swain as a person who comes out of nowhere and rushes into the enemy head on, and just stands there taking damage from all the enemies simultaneously and behaving as if he is just standing there enjoying the weather, while beating the **** out of his enemies with his DoTs.

Qi Pug Macchiato

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiIIerGecko View Post
Most likely he roams a lot. That's what most high level mid laners do, and swain has 2 forms of CC to help secure kills along with massive damage when he ganks. This explains his low CS, but high kills and short games.
I can understand the idea, but 84 cs in 25 minutes, or 77 also in 25 minutes just seems extremely strange. High level mids still maintain atleast around 150 by the 25 mark, even factoring in roaming.

Rauron

08-25-2013

Quote:
1.Which stats are most important to you as a Swain player?
Mana regen is key for me, with some resists/health and AP. The rest I can mostly survive without. Spirit Visage, RoA, Athene's, Rylai's, Hourglass, Liandry's, and Abyssal all feel right on him.

Quote:
2.QoL or simply more fun
The damage boost from his E feels like primarily invisible power that's hard to optimize, and I often don't really -feel- his passive. Both of those might be primarily solvable with particle effects, I suppose, but in the case of E I think there's a deeper problem in that the whole "mark for damage" thing just seems out of place on his kit. I love to use it, though, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing that stay.

Quote:
3. What do you feel like is Swain's 'fantasy' as a game goes on - what do you feel defines him?(...) what do you think is your 'I am Epic' moment for Swain?

3a. If you do have an endgame fantasy that you think fits Swain, do you think it's working out atm? Are there things you think we could do to improve on it?
There is no singular big moment, unless you count clutch snares. The fantasy is more a matter of power and scaling into late game. Becoming a giant crow monster and walking around the fight bringing down pain and avoiding death, that just feels great. It's a bit annoying that a simple Ignite kills that fantasy for the most part, turning him into just another "stay at range and cast spells" mage, but I do feel as though he can be -effective- despite that.

Zianic

08-25-2013

2. I think that playing Swain would feel better if one of his skill did upfront damage, for example if his q instead of being a dot did the damage (or half the damage) up front and then the leash effect was just the slow.

3. For me the most epic time when playing Swain is when i can just stand in the middle of the enemy team and be unkillable. The other time I feel epic is when I'm running away and have about 100 hp and the enemies just cant kill me.

3a. I've stopped playing swain because imo heal reductions are just too easy to acquire and without healing swain really isn't fun for me.

Fubby3

08-25-2013

bump

Spankin DaBagel

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cookie View Post
2. When casting W outside of the range, Swain has to walk up and THEN he casts it. I think that a QoL buff would to be that if Swain casts his W outside of the range, he'll cast it at max range.
Personally that change would be very negative to me. I end up whiffing an ability completely because of that more than it helps.

On another note the recent Spirit Visage changes made Swain so damn strong and I love it.

Zerglinator

08-25-2013

One thing I'd like for Swain: remove that stupid "The ramp up mana cost on his ult increases as he ranks up his ult" thing. It makes it feel terrible to Rank up his ult knowing that.

Frawg D11

08-25-2013

The thing I love about swain is how strong his full combo is. By mid/late game your mid lane opponent knows to avoid the nevermove lockdown, but you'll often find that adc's will just stand there and get locked down.

Defining moment is always the severe amount of hurt you put on people in teamfights. Movement speed is swains friend, you can just kite around the battle avoiding the melee bruisers and getting off as many spell rotations as possible.