Riven tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

No Warranty

08-22-2013

Please answer these! Just bought her, it'd be really useful if you could tell me some tips to playing Riven.
1. Do you max Q first? If not, what do you max first, and what do you max second?
2. When do you build hydra, and when do you buy BT?
3. Do you go 21/9 or 9/21?
4. Many of my games I've had instances where the enemy jungler kept camping top while mine was busy at bot, would you max E or W first in this situation?
5. I often find that I die really quickly in team fights. When do you build your first tanky item, and what is it usually?
6. Any other tips if you have any.

Thank you!

Interactive

08-22-2013

there are things called guides

Yhorema

08-22-2013

press q 3 times
proceed to snowball

No Warranty

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
there are things called guides
Riven is one of those champions that have guides that are completely different from other guides. Like I said, some build hydra, some build BT. Some Raise W for safety, some raise E for safety. I want opinions from people. They don't say this in a guide.

TryMucinex

08-22-2013

1. Q is a main ability to main. After that, I pick E for mobility.
2. This will depends, I usually buy bloodthirster, I don't know why, but I don't build Hydra for some reason, your choice on that.
4. Max E after Q.
5. Er, I'm not quite sure, I sometime build Randuin's Omen/Maw of something/Guardian's angel.
6. Buy cooldown reductions/Ad mainly. Your shield will increase your durability greatly! After you use Q, auto-attack, then Q, increase your damage output!
Shen/Renekton are tough opponents. Careful with them.

A Bad Varus

08-22-2013

1. No. I max W first, then E. Although, it depends on the lane.
2. I try to go BT first item, Hydra mid to late-game item.
3. 21/9, although I play jungle Riven more than lane Riven.
4. E for the mobility and damage absorption.
5. I try to go for a GA as a third or fourth item.
6. Trading fights go pretty well if you Q - auto, Q - auto, Q - auto, W - auto, then E away to avoid counter attacks.

EliteXElite1

08-22-2013

1. Stop playing Riven
2. Stop playing Riven
3. Stop playing Riven
4. Stop playing Riven
5. Stop playing Riven
6. Riven has the highest skill cap

DreamEaters

08-22-2013

1. max Q; e or w is preference; e for more mobility/shield, w for more damage/stun
2. hydra for splitpush, BT for faceroll (usually BT)
3. 21/9 vs opponents you can out-trade; 9/21 for opponents that are harder to duel (renekton, garen, etc.)
4. buy wards, call your jungle, and riven can 2 v 1 situationally with ulti up, especially if they dive you lol; don't max w or e first; your damage/mobility is your best "defense"
5. don't go into teamfights first; if you need an initiator shouldn't play riven; go maybe sunfire/warmogs/mallet(?) her shield scales off ad so the more ad you build the more "tanky" you get; this also makes ar/mr items better than straight up health.
6. pressed for time maybe i come back later.

Watch Box.box stream. VES twitch tv

Thiena

08-22-2013

1. Do you max Q first? If not, what do you max first, and what do you max second?
I usually Max Q first; but back in Season II, I maxed W. I think it's more of a personal preference, but I think Q gives better damage overall. If you're in a difficult lane, maxing E first 'can' be beneficial. I usually go Q>W>E, or E>Q>W.

I'm not sure about Hydra because I heard it was a bad item, but that's one opinion. I did build it once.
You want to rush that very lovely Bloodthirster as soon as possible.

I go 21/9. Personal Preference. I think Fighters (those who build more offensive than defensive) should go 21/9.

4. Many of my games I've had instances where the enemy jungler kept camping top while mine was busy at bot, would you max E or W first in this situation?

Oh, their jungler is camping you and you can't wreck their faces. Uh, I would probably go Q>E>W if you can't face them head-on. I don't know about this.

5. I often find that I die really quickly in team fights. When do you build your first tanky item, and what is it usually?
I like Randuin's Omen and probably Guardian Angel. I usually get it after I get major damage items, like BloodThirster, Last Whisper, Brutalizer/Black Cleaver. Think about their major damage sources and your focus. What do ye' want to do?

Q AA Q AA Q AA.
Be aggressive if you know if you can.
Practice Wall Jumping with Q.
Go ham... most of the time.
Save Wind Slash as a Finisher.
Sometimes, R can be used to wreck towers really easily because of it's short cooldown. Just make sure no one is coming for ya. You don't have to do this, but it's something I do.
CDR and AD are Riven's Best Friends, stat wise.
If you see your opponent tempted for a CS, wait for them to go for it, E-W-Q their faces. Just make sure you don't hurt yourself in the process too much.

Get a more variety of advice from other people, I advise.

Morphinity

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenShotX View Post
Please answer these! Just bought her, it'd be really useful if you could tell me some tips to playing Riven.

Thank you!
Never max q, Max w if your winning your lane/more damage, max e if you're losing/getting poked to oblivion.

Hydra i wouldn't get unless you really need to split push or you're super ahead, a BT is a much better and cheaper choice.

21/9 always, 9/21 if you're going jungle.

Riven has plenty of escapes to get away from jungle, it's all about warding, max skill based on lane opponent, not jungler. Just save your skills whenever you can to escape/don't waste to poke

As riven you don't build tanky, your shield (e) is what allows you to go full ad like an adc, it scales off your ad so the more damage you build, the bigger your shield. If u need defensive, i suggest hexdrinker vs ap lanes like kennen, vladimir, mercs if they are cc heavy, guardian angel because it's amazing and gives good stats, if you're really ahead with gold you can go for warmogs.

6. Learn to use riven's new wall jumping capabilities, it can save you or be that extra flash you need. Also take advantage of riven's retarded level 2, with q and w, you'll most likely get a kill if your opponent is slow to react.

Also, exhaust can be a good alternate to ignite if you have a hard lane match up/support doesn't get it.