Message To Community RE: FF14 ARR

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2013

Are pants required?

Koravel

08-22-2013

Cless, you did just not tell me that TOR has good lore.

Get out of here. TOR took the awesome lore of KotOR and spat on it, chewed it up, ripped it to pieces, put it back together, and then set on fire and threw the remains into the shower drain.

Kaiseresc

08-23-2013

I think he meant good storytelling, a not lore.

also, Tera is the most repetitive **** I've ever seen in my entire life.

Redeemed In Fire

08-23-2013

I think starcraft 2 has a good story, come at me

Redenbacher

08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
So its Guild Wars 2 all over again, is what you're saying.
This is not the experience I have had with Guild Wars 2.

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiseresc View Post
I think he meant good storytelling, a not lore.

also, Tera is the most repetitive **** I've ever seen in my entire life.
You haven't played Ragnarok Online 2, I take it. If you thought TERA was repetitive, stay away from FF14 because it's worse. The only MMORPG that disguises the quest grind well is WoW if that's what you're talking about for repetitiveness. If you're talking about the combat, stop face tanking all the BAM hits and dodge.

@koravel

I heard the only redeeming quality of SW:ToR was it's storytelling/character immersion decision stuff. You can have the most bland plot but with good storytelling it can make it something more than what it really is. Take Ni no Kuni for example, simple plot of a little boy who goes on an adventure to save his mom. Not exactly the most deep or exciting plot but the way the story unfolds makes it a lot more charming.

Basoosh

08-23-2013

Modern MMOs make me hurl. Took me about 4 hours to burn out on Rift. There's absolutely zero challenge in these games until you get to the end-game raid level content. And even then, the majority of those encounters are simply gear checks.

The world needs more MMOs like Eve, and less like WoW. The formula has been done to death.

kirillian

08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I think starcraft 2 has a good story, come at me
You mean Starcraft, right? Been a while since I've been impressed with storytelling since that time. Does that mean I'm getting old??!?!

Cless

08-23-2013

Okay I'll give the Pros and Cons of FFXIV ARR.

Pros:
Pretty cutscene graphics (it's Square Enix, duh)

Class variety

Race variety

Music (it's FF, there better be good music)

Big world environment

Sprint (A dash up to 20 seconds with a 30 second cooldown to get around the big world before mounts)

FATEs (open world quest that opens up regularly that everyone nearby can participate in for extra exp and gil)

Stats allocation (each job gets their own stat allocation so if you end up getting strength for your physical fighters, you're not gimped when you switch to a caster class)

Neutral:
Weather Effects (sandstorms, rain, etc. Can bog down lower end computers)

Day/Night cycle (breaks the monotony, but also no special mobs/quests/etc that only appear at day/night at least not in the 1-20 areas)

Tab Target system (some people like it or hate it, so it's based on your own preference)

Crafting (many crafts and you can choose to buy crafting mats if you don't want to farm for them)

Unskippable introduction cutscene (at least 7 minutes long, but you can't even alt+tab out of it since you need to manually click to advance. Good for the first character, but if you decide you want another race/gender, fix a cosmetic failure, or join friends on another server you'll have to go through it all over again.)

Starting city is based on CLASSES (which makes it hard to play with friends from the beginning if they want to start as a class that begins in another city. You don't get an airship pass to go to other cities until you finish the story quest, which can be anywhere from level 14-16 (I was level 16 before I could go join my friends in the other cities).

Cons:
Class imbalance (Arcanist topaz carbuncle pet is so OP that it's a better tank in hp and holding aggro than the tank classes in the starter dungeons...whether this is true for end game we'll have to see. Conjurer always wanted as the preferred healer compared to Arcanist. I'm sure ranged dps preferred over melee dps)

2.5 second global cooldown on ALL skills/spells combined with the skills/spells imbalance makes having such a long cooldown a negative since there is NO decision on what skill you want to use. Some skills need to be taken off the GCD. For example, pugilist has a skill they can only use after they dodge. However, it's tied in the GCD so if you were already in your 1-2-3 combo, there's really no point to use that skill when it comes off cooldown unless you want it for the utility (at the risk of losing your 1-2-3 buff you get). Basically, it's playing a no passive QWE Sona, but instead of a 0.5 second cooldown between abilities it's 2.5 seconds.

Poor Tab Targetting choice. I have no clue how FFXIV's tab selects your target because it is NOT the mob closest to you, seems pretty random. This is detrimental in the FATEs quest where there is a zerg of monsters to fight through and if you want reliable targeting, you need to mouse over it and click.

Pointless Jobs (advanced classes) skills. Bard is the major offender for this. Archers that go on to become bards have songs that they only use as emergency OH **** buttons in party play (because their songs are just that pointless and most effectively used for 1-2 seconds). Otherwise they just continue to be Archers.

Animation de-sync. Mobs that have AoE attacks have red areas for you to gtfo. Problem is, the animation and the damage taken are at different times. Here's how it works: Mob has an aoe attack, a red zone appears, then after the red zone disappears an explosion happens. Here's how it REALLY works: if you get out of the red zone by the time it disappears, you're safe from the damage and you can go run in the explosion animation and take no damage. Square Enix can easily fix this with a patch but don't expect them to have this fixed by early access/launch.

Poor handling of important issues. During open beta, their NA/EU server crashed late Saturday night. Once they got their servers up, 23k+ people's characters were locked in limbo with error 3102. No mention of this problematic error in their website, can't access their forums (since it's 99.99% down during the ENTIRE time of open beta) to get help. So, you'll have to go pay attention to Twitter (which is pretty unprofessional if you ask me) and even then it didn't seem it was their priority. It wasn't until 2 hours before Open Beta ended (so Sunday midnight PST) that they said (via a constantly down forum) that they fixed error 3102 and the announcement that they'll extend open beta for 6 more hours (so instead of ending on Monday 2am PST, it ended at 8am PST). Well, people who were 3102ed for 24+ hours already went to sleep for work and probably didn't see the announcement until after they came back from work. At least Riot communicates with us with a "hey, we see this issue and we're working on it."

Botters/Gold farmers. Based on Square Enix's previous handling of this issue in their FFXI MMO, nothing was done until they were completely out of control. Whether or not this is going to happen again, we'll see (the company doesn't seem to learn from their past mistakes, which why this is like the 3rd time they're making this). Also with FFXIV's tagging system, it'll be harder to distinguish a player from a botter. The tagging system: the person that tags the mob gets 100% exp and 100% drops. However, other players who attack the tagged monster and do enough damage can get some exp and credit for their quests.

Poor ways of getting gil (money). The only way to earn gil is through quests (61gil to 128 gil from FATES and the 1-20 quests) and market manipulation. No mobs drop gil. The only things you get from mobs are crafting mats (not even equipment! you'll have to get them from certain quests, dungeons, or craft them. So much for that feeling when you get a world drop from a mob). At least the repairs on equipment so far is like 6 gil.

Koravel

08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cless View Post
Neutral:
Weather Effects (sandstorms, rain, etc. Can bog down lower end computers)
How is good graphics a neutral just because it can bog down lower computers?

Quote:
Day/Night cycle (breaks the monotony, but also no special mobs/quests/etc that only appear at day/night at least not in the 1-20 areas)
False there is at least one FATE that only happened at night.

Quote:
Unskippable introduction cutscene (at least 7 minutes long, but you can't even alt+tab out of it since you need to manually click to advance. Good for the first character, but if you decide you want another race/gender, fix a cosmetic failure, or join friends on another server you'll have to go through it all over again.)
Nitpicks galore. Yeah you have to wait 7 minutes. Is this really a con to an MMO?

Quote:
Starting city is based on CLASSES (which makes it hard to play with friends from the beginning if they want to start as a class that begins in another city. You don't get an airship pass to go to other cities until you finish the story quest, which can be anywhere from level 14-16 (I was level 16 before I could go join my friends in the other cities).
The alternative would mean that if you ever did make another character, you'd have to go through the same starting area every time. This way, if you do decide to make another for whatever reason, you can pick a different city to start. This is a plus, in my book, not a con.

Quote:
Cons:
Class imbalance (Arcanist topaz carbuncle pet is so OP that it's a better tank in hp and holding aggro than the tank classes in the starter dungeons...whether this is true for end game we'll have to see. Conjurer always wanted as the preferred healer compared to Arcanist. I'm sure ranged dps preferred over melee dps)
This made me laugh out loud. FFXIV is going to be based around JOBS, not classes. Archer 30/Conjurer 15 for example, is known as a Bard. The topaz is a great pet for soloing, but it will sure as hell not be viable in actual dungeons. Already had a couple times where we wiped because the carbuncle didn't avoid the one-hit kill from the boss.

Not to mention, you are talking about class imbalance on a level 1-20 game. Seriously? This is the same thing SR players do to Dom, they come over and play at 1k elo and make up their minds that the game isn't balanced. You, (nor I), have actually played the real game yet.
Quote:
2.5 second global cooldown on ALL skills/spells combined with the skills/spells imbalance makes having such a long cooldown a negative since there is NO decision on what skill you want to use. Some skills need to be taken off the GCD. For example, pugilist has a skill they can only use after they dodge. However, it's tied in the GCD so if you were already in your 1-2-3 combo, there's really no point to use that skill when it comes off cooldown unless you want it for the utility (at the risk of losing your 1-2-3 buff you get). Basically, it's playing a no passive QWE Sona, but instead of a 0.5 second cooldown between abilities it's 2.5 seconds.
Perhaps this is the case for the pugilist. It isn't for the archer.
Quote:
Poor Tab Targetting choice. I have no clue how FFXIV's tab selects your target because it is NOT the mob closest to you, seems pretty random. This is detrimental in the FATEs quest where there is a zerg of monsters to fight through and if you want reliable targeting, you need to mouse over it and click.
Agreed, this needs to be fixed.
Quote:
Pointless Jobs (advanced classes) skills. Bard is the major offender for this. Archers that go on to become bards have songs that they only use as emergency OH **** buttons in party play (because their songs are just that pointless and most effectively used for 1-2 seconds). Otherwise they just continue to be Archers.
Really. I'm glad you can somehow know this when we haven't even seen a real Bard yet. The fact that you think Songs are "oh ****" buttons makes me wonder if you have any idea what you're talking about. Songs are a persistent buff effect on the entire party, or a debuff on the monsters. They are not there as "oh ****" buttons, they aren't going to save a party that's about to be wiped.

Having a bard that can regen mana and tp for the entire party is going to be extremely helpful for long fights.

Quote:
Animation de-sync. Mobs that have AoE attacks have red areas for you to gtfo. Problem is, the animation and the damage taken are at different times. Here's how it works: Mob has an aoe attack, a red zone appears, then after the red zone disappears an explosion happens. Here's how it REALLY works: if you get out of the red zone by the time it disappears, you're safe from the damage and you can go run in the explosion animation and take no damage. Square Enix can easily fix this with a patch but don't expect them to have this fixed by early access/launch.
Annoying, at best.

As far as botters go, if you don't have a tagging system, then people are going to be screwed when the game starts because it will be so hard to get mobs for quests with 1,000 people in the same area.

Never had a problem with gil, and never talked to anyone who had a problem with gil. I was sitting on like 15k, so not sure what your issue was there. You can get random drops, they are from treasure chests that appear in the world. Gotten two pinks from them.

123456 ... 7