Why do people call LoL a MOBA?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TenNoHashi

12-05-2010

On warcraft prior to LoL people have been calling the genre "AoSes" They've called EVERY type of map similar to dota that came before LoL an AoS so why the sudden shift?

Rebel Cardinal

12-05-2010

Calling the game a different genre attracts casuals. Oh, and I played DotA for 4 years, never heard it referred to as an AoS clone.

CoolHeroBro

12-05-2010

It's just a new term, because calling every game in the genre an Aeon of Strife clone or a DotA clone isn't exactly accurate.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena or something to that effect

xiaox2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2010

Its because AoS was a dota term where MOBA is a more generic abbreviation.
Its like saying sc is a RTS (real time strategy) people would be able to get an idea of the game play even if they never touched the genre.

But if people used AoS anyone that did not play wc3 would be like AoS would does that stand for? Aeon of Strife still don't know what that means.

Liath

12-05-2010

becasue there's no aeon of strife map for lol.. derp

Lukky Ch4rmz

12-05-2010

MOBA just makes sense, Arena games are alot more fun then other games because they tend to focus more on individual matches then long term grinding and farming, multiplayer not being based on gear is also great because skill is more involved then gear and such. I'm really excited for diablo 3 arena.

Mordeve

12-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukky Ch4rmz View Post
MOBA just makes sense, Arena games are alot more fun then other games because they tend to focus more on individual matches then long term grinding and farming, multiplayer not being based on gear is also great because skill is more involved then gear and such. I'm really excited for diablo 3 arena.
This. Also, when marketing your own free-floating game, why would you use a different, unaffiliated, specific game to describe the genre of your game?

Thats like saying WoW should be under the category of Mazewar, rather than MMO.

KuraM

12-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Cardinal View Post
Calling the game a different genre attracts casuals. Oh, and I played DotA for 4 years, never heard it referred to as an AoS clone.
You played with your eyes closed then

Belbin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2010

This isn't relevant to the thread, but it really grinds my gears when people refer to the genre as an MMOBA, because there is no massively-multiplayer part in the arenas. Seriously, those people need to get their **** together and stop playing WoW.

Drunk on Franzia

12-05-2010

Aeon of Strife was a Starcraft Custom map that DotA was based on. The term "MOBA" came out to define DotA when it became popular at Blizzcon. AoS is just an example of a MOBA game.