Security Update Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kahlebb

08-20-2013

One thing I'd like to recommend:

While you did ask people to (and I suppose are about to require..?) change the password on their LoL account, it would probably be good to also recommend a password change on your email (especially if it's the same as your LoL account password). Obviously these should ideally be different, and obviously this is more of an issue if your email password is TOO simple, but in general this would be a wise practice with that list of info going around including email addresses.

Just my two cents, hope it's a good reminder to someone who wasn't as pro-active about security as they should be in the first place.

SlightlySuicidal

08-20-2013

Why were so many threads on the subject closed like nothing was wrong?

Chager

Producer

08-20-2013
3 of 13 Riot Posts

@FrozenXylaphone - because the folks that crafted the message know best I'm going to quote this directly from the news post

"What we know: usernames, email addresses, salted password hashes, and some first and last names were accessed. This means that the password files are unreadable, but players with easily guessable passwords are vulnerable to account theft."

Letsgetcooking

08-20-2013

Im glad we got an answer.
Thz Riot.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2013

Rough day to join the forums, Chager, but good on you for being open.

Typhoid Burrito

08-20-2013

I like these changes...Already changed my password.

Cyraknoss

08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eludeasaurus View Post
why does the password changer take 17 Numbers/letters before it will say its ok? im not going to memorize this. =|
it doesnt I've gotten everything from 16-12 to work.

ZeroKuno

08-20-2013

I believe it's time to tighten down on the account creations and blacklist providers that allow you to create multiple e-mail addresses.
I see it as getting out of hand completely. You can only protect yourself after knowing the vulnerability. There was never a case where protection was set to something newly discovered.
I am also sure that you guys have all the old methods of security breaches implemented.
I believe this to occur more often as anything that is really popular and gets attention usually gets the attention from the people that don't like the company.

Sty13z

08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayLordEzreal69 View Post
LOLWUT!?!?!?

ITT: Funniest Thing I've seen all week +1

GutEveryone

08-20-2013

so that whole larias-pickachu-gem thingy debacle is just a coincidence?