I'm scared to play ranked :[

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Punnett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2010

I've never played a ranked game before. I've got common sense, for the most part, but I'm nervous.

any pro tips?

Gizamimi

12-04-2010

Dont queue solo.

Malzahearty Soup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-04-2010

You're just afraid of being squared.

Sobel

12-04-2010

Keep in mind, when you start you're gonna get matched with people at 1200. They either just started or deserve to be there. So they can be good or really, really bad.

Lokan

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobel View Post
Keep in mind, when you start you're gonna get matched with people at 1200. They either just started or deserve to be there. So they can be bad or really, really bad.
fixed

EIometer

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizamimi View Post
Dont queue solo.
Wiser words have never been spoken.

Paero

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokan View Post
fixed
did you change something?

Kyoko Sakura

12-04-2010

Try not to rage at your team.

Rumination

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnett View Post
I've never played a ranked game before. I've got common sense, for the most part, but I'm nervous.

any pro tips?
1: You will have meth babies for teammates. Do your best to not rage at them, try to herd them like cattle by furiously pinging objectives (when it is the correct time to take an objective, of course) on your minimap.

2: Only play the following types of champs: a strong jungler (Warwick, Udyr, Olaf, etc.); or a strong solo-lane carry (Miss Fortune, Twitch, Kog'Maw, Corki, etc.) If you're forced to play a tank and you already have a jungler, play a tank who can become sort of a carry if fed enough (Garen, Malphite, Gragas, Galio.)

3: Do not, for the love of God, queue by yourself; always bring a trusted, competent friend.

4: Do not, for the love of God, play Eve unless you intend to jungle/counter jungle

5: Do not, for the love of God, play Urgot.

That's about the best I can give you.

The Promise

12-04-2010

A few things:

1. Make sure you know how to play more than 2 champions, preferably ones that fill a variety of roles and some that are not common bans. At least have a few Tanks, Mages, and Physical DPS (ranged or melee, but ranged is better ATM) in your list of available champions, know how to play and build them, and have generic rune pages for them.

2. Extension of #1. Make sure you have runes for the three basic roles: Physical DPS, Mage, Tank. You should have three pages since they gave one out for free, so there really is no excuse not to have them. They don't have to be perfect but make sure you have a page with some Armor Pen, another with Magic Pen, and another with Mitigation or Avoidance via MR, Armor, or Dodge. Also, HP Quints work for every generic page ever.

3. Be prepared to fill a roll if your team decides to say "F**k team comp, I'm awesome," or some stupid s**t like that. If your team isn't tanky enough grab a tank. If you need a jungler then play one. If you need CC play a Mage. You get the point. This is why you need to have options: So you can pick up the slack in terms of team comp if you need to.

4. Wards. Buy wards. Learn where to place wards. ***** at the rest of your team doesn't buy wards. It's not hard.

5. Play it safe early game. Some people may not believe it, but games are won and lost in the first 15 minutes. LoL snowballs a lot so if the enemy jungler gets a double kill on your bottom lane for whatever reason you probably just handed them a dragon, first blood, and another kill. That can be tough to make up for. Thus it is much better to play it safe early. Don't go for kills unless you at 110% sure you will get it or your jungler is there. Don't overextend. Ward your brush. Call mia. Wait for the other team to make a mistake and capitalize on it. Don't let them do that to you.

6. This one will get me downvoted I'm sure. Play serious. Don't go in to ranked thinking "Aww man! This is gonna be great fun!" If buckling down, getting serious, and playing some "No S**t" LoL isn't fun for you then Ranked is not where you should be spending your time. Most people there are in Ranked to play some serious LoL and hopefully get their ELO higher. If you go in wanting to do anything other than get down to brass tacks, kick some ass, and win then you are going to ruin the game for the people you play with.

7. Counter the other team. I played a game just yesterday where I thought we were doomed from the start. My team was Amumu, Yi, Xin, Vlad (IIRC), and I was playing Ashe. The other team was Morgana, Galio, Rammus, Malphite, and MF. Based solely on team comp we were outcomped pretty badly all things considered. But then, something miraculous happened: Every single person on my team took Cleanse. We had a tough early game, but once the team fights came all of that CC the other team had meant squat. Their team was CC reliant and we just got rid of all of it, which allowed our vastly superior damage output to just s**t on them. Don't go crazy with counters, but keep in mind that if you build, choose champions, and choose spells carefully you can turn an almost sure loss into a win.

8. Last one. Remember that this is a team game. Yes, there are times when one man can win you the game, but they are not terribly common, so you need to play as a team. There are a lot of things that go along with this that I won't get into here, because I could write paragraphs on each, but just remember that you probably aren't going to single handedly win the game for your team. You need the help of your teammates.