Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malphite - Tank/AD/AP/MIX?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asylumseeker

12-04-2010

what is the best way to play malph. Obviously if there is no other tank on the team then go pure tanky i presume.

something like
merc treads
BV
Thornmail
frozen heart

but what if there is another tank. Is it best to try something else? if so what?

FailyMcSadPants

12-04-2010

Mercs / Ninja depending on CC or physical
Frozen Heart / Banshees depending on AP or AD
SUNFIRES

GG.

Only alternate ive used is, after 2x sunfires and banshees, getting atmas impaler for around +50 dps.

AP is terrible and if your go AD route your not only squishy, but you screw over your main dps spell E.

Hope it helped man

Devownious

12-04-2010

Well my core build every game on malphite is mercs (rarely tabi) Heart, sunfire, then randuins usually. Game that we need more damage I'll either get another sunfire or a thornmail, after that get abyssal scepter and atmas and youll help your dmg output. You can't build malphite straight ap or ad tho it doesnt work, you gotta be that tanky guy that makes people have to attack you or die. Kinda like mord but totally different if that makes sense.

Zi0nized

12-04-2010

I usually go for :

cloth + 5 pots for jungles

Chain Armor
Health belt
> Sunfire

Chain Armor
> Randuin's

then I get Banshee's and after that I'm pretty much set.

The reason I go for sunfire first is because 1 ) survivability item
2) Makes you farm SO MUCH FASTER because of passive on his W

As far as boots are concerned, Tabis or Mercs... obv.

Fearful Ferret

12-04-2010

I go for mana crystal into catalyst, which eventually either goes into banshee's or rod of ages. Beyond that, it really depends on their team comp; if they're heavy physical, I go for frozen heart and stack sunfires. If they go for magic, I get warmog's and force of nature.

Your main role in a teamfight is to nuke their squishy with ult, E, Q, and autoattacks, and then just tank from there. You're never going to be an excellent tank, but you can do a pretty good impression. The main problem with malphite is that, after you nuke their squishy, you still need to be relevant enough for them to not be able to ignore you, which is where sunfire comes in. Malphite is far better against physical damage than magical, so he's more of a late pick against physical teams than an all-around tank. Frozen heart combined with his E reduces enemy attack speed to a crawl, so if they're relying on physical DPS, you can easily negate most of their damage just be focusing on their DPS. Hug their trist/ashe and don't let go.

Asylumseeker

12-05-2010

hmm. ive recently tried slightly different and it seems to be working pretty well as get a stronger early laning.

dorans ring
sorc boots
first part of frozen heart (that reduces cooldown)
sunfire
BV
frozen heart

seem to just be able to hurt them more. Playing with that i was against trynd and kayle while solo top. managed to harass them away from the minions so they were losing exp while whittling them down sending them both back to base once each. Then when i hit lvl 6 let them push me back a bit as i had no mana. Used clarity, ult>ground smash>shard. Managed to kill trynd twice in lane like that before they got to level 6.