How to counter Shaco *MUST READ OMG*

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnAnarchist

12-04-2010

I play a lot of Shaco and honestly I'd like to see him buffed. I'm of the belief that RIOT actually knows he is pretty UP overall and the only reason he hasn't received any buffs is his "OP" lvl 3 gank as well as just a general hang over of opinion on him from when he truly was OP.

My hope is that by detailing exactly how to counter Shaco throughout the course of a game I'll perhaps pave the way to eventual Shaco buffs...

Anyways...

HOW TO COUNTER SHACO - THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO DESTROYING THE JESTER

Champ select
So your opponent just picked Shaco huh. Step 1 to effectively shutting down Shaco starts right here. There are a few things you can do to really hurt Shaco.

Champion picks
You'll want to minimize your squishy champions. Really the only squishy you should take is your ranged carry. Taric is probably your best bet at support though a locket Sona is a fine pick too. The rest of your team should be bruisers and tanks. If you are worried about your team lacking magic damage simply pick up champs like Galio or Morde. Your jungler could be Rammus or Udyr. Morgana is a potential pick for the strength of Black shield when it comes to popping Shaco's boxes.

With only 1 good target for Shaco you've already dealt him a major blow.

The other thing to think about at this point is your lvl 1 teamfight strength. Fortunately most tanky champs are very strong at lvl 1 thus solidifying the above strategy of 1 ranged carry, 1 tanky support, 1 tank and 2 bruisers.

Summoner spells
A clairvoyance is a very strong counter to any jungler but even more so in regards to Shaco. Since Shaco has to stack JitB's, even if he is spotted with a CV he really can't afford to simply go to another camp.

Exhaust is a strong pick for your ranged carry and / or support as this is who Shaco will be attacking every single team fight. Exhaust on a babysitting support or the ranged carry itself will pretty much guarantee that Shaco can do nothing in team fights.

Game start
Popping Shaco's boxes
At the start you'll want all 5 of your team to pick up a Doran's item of some kind for the extra survivability. If some are already tanky due to masteries / runes then a couple of wards are great starting items.

All 5 should start walking towards the opponents red buff. It is important that you are tightly clustered with your tankiest champion just at the front.

A Clairvoyance will prove immeasurably useful here as it will allow you to see exactly where your opponents are standing. More often than not despite the oposing Shaco's best efforts they will be fragmented and highly vulnerable to your tight nit group of 5.

90% of the time any good Shaco will start on red. If he isn't here than he's pretty much shut himself down for you. The blue start is just a much weaker option on Shaco.

You'll want to pop ghost run just in front of red buff and then run back the way you came.

If you've followed enough of the above you'll successfully pop Shaco's boxes and cause his jungling to be MUCH slower on the vast majority of attempts. If you've followed it well you'll likely get first blood for your efforts too. If you happen to kill Shaco... well he's in big trouble already.

Warding for lane protection
A lot of people will tell you that warding is ineffectual versus Shaco. This is only the case when you don't know where to ward versus him.

Red buff
If you were successful at his red buff you may have the option of taking it though this is only true if you killed one or two opponents while taking minimal damage.

If taking it seems too risky it can be smart to ward red buff and stop Shaco's subsequent efforts at taking the buff. Due to the nature of Shaco's JitB early jungling he will have to set up at least a couple for red giving you ample time to react to him going for it. Without red buff Shaco's ganks are quite a sad sight to behold.

For top lane
If you are laning top then regardless of sides a simple sight ward in the usual place at the bushes will be ample protection versus Shaco. Unless you badly overextend or your jungler loses his own red control in the case of laning on purple side he hasn't really got any advantage over any other ganker.

For bot lane
To secure bottom lane against Shaco ganks you need a ward at dragon (should be placed by jungler) and a ward at the bush directly below dragon which leads to blue side red buff if you're on purple team. If you are on blue team really the dragon ward will suffice though be cautious of overextending and Shaco deceiving from the ledge above the regular warding spot.

For mid lane
The common mistake with warding versus Shaco is to place the wards in the river bushes. Specifically the ward closest to his red buff should be placed at the junction from his jungle to the river and mid lane. Place it carefully so you can see a good portion of the river as well the junction. Most Shaco ganks won't come from the river but from that junction so it is imperative that if you choose to ward you ward that area.

If you are being harassed by Shaco ganks or you have enough extra gold to warrant it a pink ward in the center of the lane is a strong counter indeed. It will give you a decent chance at actually killing Shaco as he attempts to gank you as Shaco player often gank below full health.

Don't overextend!
Simple advice that you've seen dozens of times before. Yet Shaco wouldn't be considered a strong ganker were it not for the fact that players constantly break this rule.

A strong tip for those that simply can't stop themselves from overextending is simply don't use abilities on creeps. You should only last hit auto attack (with a few exceptions annie, GP...). The amount of Garen players I have seen use there spin in a minion wave is mind boggling.

Conserving all your mana for harass will have a positive affect on you game I can nigh guarantee it.

Mid to Late game
Really at this stage your work should be done.

Shaco scales very badly indeed. Some will say his ult is one of the best damage amplifiers in the game. While on paper this is true in reality the clone gets almost completely kited in team fights and thus brings little damage to the table. It is often best used for baron killing and pushing towers.

His jacks serve virtually no purpose excepting a short term ward by this point and his other two abilities don't scale that great either.

If you've failed to shut down Shaco and also managed to feed him fear not however. Shaco will most likely build BloodRazor and survivability which is countered well with a little MR. If he builds Infinity Edge he is hard countered by a little armor.

Shaco doesn't farm well and unlike many other junglers has no heal which means he also is nigh required to build Lifesteal. These two things add to his scaling problems.

Wards and oracles help counter Shaco mid late game but you'll notice I put less emphasis on countering him at this stage as simply told he is very rarely ever a threat at this point unless your team failed badly in the early game.

Conclusion
Well that's my handy guide to properly countering Shaco. I hope it encourages players to counter Shaco better and eventually RIOT into buffing him.

The problem as far as I see it is that the community is lazy when it comes to properly countering champions. This may in part be fostered by RIOT's two week turn around schedule constantly nerfing perceived OP champions and not giving the community any incentive to actually learn the good habit of developing counters.

RIOT continue to foster this bad community habit of not learning proper counters through Shaco by purposely keeping him at an UP level.

Some will argue that Shaco is perfectly viable at high Elo play but this is only true in ranked solo where high Elo players often mess around and simply don't try hard enough to counter Shaco properly in most cases.

In competitive tournaments Shaco is never picked as if the opposing team is good enough and determined enough they can absolutely destroy Shaco's whole game.

Frankly I'd prefer if RIOT treated the community with less babying hands so that the game can develop more naturally and less due to the strict run of the nerf cycle.

But I guess I'm getting off topic, enjoy the guide

JediDwag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2010

Ward his red. Kill him when he goes for it.

Furpop

12-04-2010

when he ganks turn around and attack him... done

AidsAttack

12-04-2010

Is this needed?

Lava

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2010

Wards. Shaco is now dead.

AnAnarchist

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLooDJuNKi View Post
Is this needed?
Well considering Shaco is purposely kept UP because RIOT feels people can't counter his jungling...

Yeah I don't think I wasted my time making the post. At the very least this thread will be filled of people re expressing how over nerfed Shaco is which in the long run is good for Shaco.

joemamallama

12-04-2010

thats true. only time when i pick shaco now is to be ap and laugh at people dying to jitb nests

Dr Leper

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAnarchist View Post
Well considering Shaco is purposely kept UP because RIOT feels people can't counter his jungling...

Yeah I don't think I wasted my time making the post. At the very least this thread will be filled of people re expressing how over nerfed Shaco is which in the long run is good for Shaco.
Yeah I pretty much came to say that shaco has been nerfed to hell and back, anyone that needs this guide is still a budding player.

But now that I see your real goal here, I'm behind you 100%.

edit: for the record, I don't think shaco is UP, just not the power that all the *great* champions are. it's a shame that this game is balanced in tiers, but thats how it is. I doubt it's like the developers intended that, but there is definitely a "use champion x because its a better version of y" rule in this game.

SouthernSun

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furpop View Post
when he ganks turn around and attack him... done
Pretty much this.

xOYQyuqpZHcxpDk2

12-04-2010

Counter Shaco? Hes already done it for you. 5v4 so gud.