IMPORTANT: Arcade Hecarim needs his “Game Over” sign!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

08-15-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsplosion View Post
Hoy, folks!

I was toying around with this idea during the skin's development and tried a few different forms of "thing that pops up on death", but the more I experimented with it the more it felt too much like Arcade Sona. Hecarim's death DOES still pay homage to a specific retro game trope, and in cases like this where we get to make nods to a culture as rich as video game history, I'll always opt for adding more variety! Ultimately, I think an arcade skin should be defined by its love for gaming culture, not necessarily a specific type of game over.
... we need an Arcade Skin whose game-over sign is a laughing dog.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2013

I like the blow up on death thing. Do that.

Zerglinator

08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Arcade Renekton with a laughing Nasus.

UnderworldH4des

08-15-2013

Quote:
Nasus or Renekton Arcade skin inc.

OverpoweredSoap

08-15-2013

Quote:
You want us league players to rage even more, huh?

MalikCaesar777

08-15-2013

use the game over laugh from sonic CD. That stuff is gold.

Bombkirby

08-15-2013

Quote:
Hoy, folks!

I was toying around with this idea during the skin's development and tried a few different forms of "thing that pops up on death", but the more I experimented with it the more it felt too much like Arcade Sona. Hecarim's death DOES still pay homage to a specific retro game trope, and in cases like this where we get to make nods to a culture as rich as video game history, I'll always opt for adding more variety! Ultimately, I think an arcade skin should be defined by its love for gaming culture, not necessarily a specific type of game over.
There needs to be something... so the skins seem like they are part of the series. It be great if there were 5 arcade skins in the future, and then when they lose a team fight you see a slew of "GAME OVERS" or whatever messages. Or you can just make the vaguely related to the point where people will think they aren't even part of the series considering Hec looks more like he's from some weird robot skin series. The artist knows best though.

Bitsplosion

VFX Artist

08-15-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowncastHarp View Post
I don't think it references a certain retro game character's death since Bitsplosion said it was a reference to a retro game trope. What that trope is, for me, is hard to put a finger on... Anybody got any answers to what trope it is exactly?
It's a reference to when a boss monster dies and freeze-frames, exploding gratuitously as it holds the pose. Obviously the process has to be abridged in our game for readability's sake, but that is the intent here :]

DowncastHarp

08-15-2013

Quote:
It's a reference to when a boss monster dies and freeze-frames, exploding gratuitously as it holds the pose. Obviously the process has to be abridged in our game for readability's sake, but that is the intent here :]
Ah, I see it now. Thanks for clarifying that Bitsplosion!

Tobasco da Gama

08-15-2013

Quote:
Arcade Caitlyn? Her sniper rifle could be an SNES Super Scope.