LoL Mac in game freezing and lag spikes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrickyFlipster

05-07-2013

I don't know if its the computer or the game but whenever i play and game type i get lag spikes for like 2-3 seconds every 1-2 mins and its really annoying. The whole game stops responding and then its go back again with a little bit more lag then last time. Its painful and I've tried so many things like changing my graphics and the Frame-rate and nothing will work. I have never had it before the new ARAM map and came out last week.

These are my computer Specs.
MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011
Processor -- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory -- 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics -- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software -- OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Can someone from Riot or anyone that has had this problem, tell me and solution or ideas that you have to help me.
Thanks TrickyFlipster

hamsterdams

05-07-2013

I have the same MB Pro (except I'm still on Snow Leopard) and I'm having similar problems after the patch. Mine only happens to do with FPS dropping to around 10-18, when I was consistently getting 30-50 pre patch.

One thing that could be causing this for me is that my battery has completely ran out of cycles, and I've had the "No Charging" symbol where my battery icon is. This happened around the time the patch came out, so I'm thinking maybe since my battery isn't charging at all, it is perpetually stuck in "low battery" mode and that this is causing my FPS problems.

However, I'm still not sure yet, and I'd like to see if Riot is aware / doing anything about this...

So... Bump.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-07-2013

The new map does have fps issues, and they also made a change to the game that was supposed to help low end cards, but ended up hurting some middle end cards.

That said, have you guys tried a SMC reset?

Lacrats

05-07-2013

you know what has helped me tremendously with lag? I downloaded SmcFanControl and amped my fan speeds to max and know im not getting any lag. I dont know if its relevant but it worked for me.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-07-2013

Generally what happens is you'll be gaming on a laptop, it gets hot, overheats, and the system management controller (SMC) throttles your performance to stop the machine from overheating. Once that happens, you need to perform a SMC reset to get it back to normal, or you'll keep experiencing low performance.

Using SmcFanControl to proactively max your fan speeds honestly doesn't do a whole lot. They'd naturally max themselves as soon as the machine got hot enough (around a minute of lol).

The real root of the problem is the overheating. You may want to try elevating the back of your macbook a half inch or so, the airflow will help keep it cool. If it is continually a problem, there are cooling pads you can look into, that are basically pads that you put under your laptop that have fans inside them.

hamsterdams

05-07-2013

Okay since you're here Dataslave, I'll try to explain my issue with a lil more detail...

I had the 33% update problem that everyone had when the patch came out. So I replaced my LoL client in my Apps folder with the one in the .dmg file, reinstalling LoL. But obviously this didn't help because it was a universal problem. I mention this cause maybe I corrupted a file or something in the process?

So after I waited for the patch fix, I d/led the patch and didn't get to play till the next night. That's when I realized that I had the FPS problem. I have my usual 70-90 ping, but my FPS dropped down to 10-18 in game, and single digits in team fights. It felt like I had a lot of applications running in the background, but I didn't. So after that game I entered another and had the same problem, and it hasn't gone away ever since. I used to get a steady 30-35 FPS in game, with no problems in team fights running medium/high settings.

In games with just me and bots, I start at around 25-32 FPS, then it slowly dips down after I run down my lane, minions spawn, and especially after I start fighting minions/champs. This is all on Summoners Rift.

I've tried basically every troubleshooting technique in video settings. I've switched everything to low, vertical sync on/off, benchmark on, whatever people said helped. Nothing really changed for me, it seemed like my FPS stays a steady 15 either way. Strange, since I used to run medium/high settings only since I've started playing this game.

I've also reinstalled again since then, and have fixed my install twice with no avail.

Like I mentioned above, it could be my battery issue (not charging, but keeping my computer running). I'm getting a new battery tomorrow so I'll see if it fixes the problem, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I'd also like to mention that two friends of mine are playing on 08-10 MB Pros and have been r unning smoothly with no problems since the patch.

Something else I've noticed is that my User Kernal is always "Not Responding" after I get into the lobby, but it doesn't seem to affect my performance when I force close it. Also, I've noticed the LolClient and LoL Launcher is always open, even when I'm in game. Like if i alt+tabbed I see: UserKernal (Not Responding), LoL Launcher, LolClient, and League of Legends.

Let me know if you see anything that I can try or do Dataslave.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-07-2013

Post your system specs, so I know a little about your computer. I'm assuming its within 5 years old, and if so the battery being dead has impact on your performance.

TrickyFlipster

05-08-2013

Its all good. Thanks anyway Dataslave, all i had to do is repair the LoL Client and then i restarted my computer. Thanks anyways guys :P

Wilfred808

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterdams View Post
Okay since you're here Dataslave, I'll try to explain my issue with a lil more detail...

I had the 33% update problem that everyone had when the patch came out. So I replaced my LoL client in my Apps folder with the one in the .dmg file, reinstalling LoL. But obviously this didn't help because it was a universal problem. I mention this cause maybe I corrupted a file or something in the process?

So after I waited for the patch fix, I d/led the patch and didn't get to play till the next night. That's when I realized that I had the FPS problem. I have my usual 70-90 ping, but my FPS dropped down to 10-18 in game, and single digits in team fights. It felt like I had a lot of applications running in the background, but I didn't. So after that game I entered another and had the same problem, and it hasn't gone away ever since. I used to get a steady 30-35 FPS in game, with no problems in team fights running medium/high settings.

In games with just me and bots, I start at around 25-32 FPS, then it slowly dips down after I run down my lane, minions spawn, and especially after I start fighting minions/champs. This is all on Summoners Rift.

I've tried basically every troubleshooting technique in video settings. I've switched everything to low, vertical sync on/off, benchmark on, whatever people said helped. Nothing really changed for me, it seemed like my FPS stays a steady 15 either way. Strange, since I used to run medium/high settings only since I've started playing this game.

I've also reinstalled again since then, and have fixed my install twice with no avail.

Like I mentioned above, it could be my battery issue (not charging, but keeping my computer running). I'm getting a new battery tomorrow so I'll see if it fixes the problem, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I'd also like to mention that two friends of mine are playing on 08-10 MB Pros and have been r unning smoothly with no problems since the patch.

Something else I've noticed is that my User Kernal is always "Not Responding" after I get into the lobby, but it doesn't seem to affect my performance when I force close it. Also, I've noticed the LolClient and LoL Launcher is always open, even when I'm in game. Like if i alt+tabbed I see: UserKernal (Not Responding), LoL Launcher, LolClient, and League of Legends.

Let me know if you see anything that I can try or do Dataslave.
i did the same thing you did and am currently having the same problems.

hamsterdams

05-08-2013

Turns out it was my batter after all. If your battery is completely dead and won't hold a charge, and your computer is running on just the power adapter alone, your processor is throttled by and your MB Pro won't be running up to par.