[Guide] Mordekaiser, The Unforgiven...2

12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Norak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2010

Hey everyone,
I'm back with another guide
As I am sure you know, you have come to learn about Mordekaiser.
Whether this is because you realised his limitless potential and want to try him, or realised his limitless potential and want to learn his weakness'. =)

Either way, I am here to help, as Mordekaiser can be a confusing character to understand at first, and even after a lot of playing him you might want to try out different methods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Index
I. Introduction to Mordekaiser
II. Mordekaiser's Skills
III. Mordekaiser's Build
IV. Playstyle
V. Strengths and Weakness' of Mordekaiser
VI. Tricks and Tips <------ [Recently Added!]
VII. Credits
VIII. Testimony

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I.Introduction to Mordekaiser
Mordekaiser, as you may well know, is an incredible pusher. He has decent base hp, incredible base damage and attack speed and terrible AP ratios. His has 2 and a 1/2 AoE spells, 1 of which is a nuke, the other a defense. His ult is a DoT/HoT and he has no innate CC.

Though there are a few misunderstood abilities in Morde's kit, which I intend to etch into your mind.

II. Mordekaiser's Skills

[Q] Mace of Spades: On next hit, Mordekaiser swings his mace with such force that it echoes out, striking up to 3 additional nearby targets, dealing 80/110/140/170/200 (+) magic damage.

If the target is alone, 140/192.5/245/297.5/350 (+) damage is dealt instead.

Costs 25/32/39/46/53 Health
Range: 600

Mordekaiser's best skill. People don't seem to think so, they are clinging to the old ways of Siphon of Destruction. This skill is a great early harrass, even around creeps, but where it shines incredibly well is when they are alone. With something like a 1.75 AD ratio, it's damage is ridonculous.

[W] Creeping Death: Unleashes a protective cloud of metal shards to surround an ally for 6 seconds, increasing their armor and magic resistance by 10/15/20/25/30 and dealing 24/38/52/66/80 (+0.2) magic damage per second to nearby enemies.

Costs 26/32/38/44/50 Health
Range: 750

Incredible skill. Great for farming, anti-farming, saving youself, saving your team mates, and generating shield. Don't know how to do some of those things using Creeping Death? I'll show you..

[E] Siphon of Destruction: Mordekaiser damages enemies in a cone in front of him, dealing 65/105/145/185/225 (+0.6) magic damage.

For each unit hit, Mordekaiser's shield absorbs an additional 1/2/3/4/5 health.

Costs 24/36/48/60/72 Health
Range: 700

This ability is still great for farming and harassing. Early game this really puts icing on the cake, late game its my Area of effect damage - where Mace of Spades is my Single target nuke.

[R] Children of the Grave: Steals 24/29/34 (+0.04)% of target champion's maximum Health (half stolen initially and half over 10 seconds; deals Magic Damage).

If the target dies while cursed, their soul is enslaved and will follow Mordekaiser for 30 seconds. Mordekaiser gains 20% of their ability power and attack damage, and the pet's stats are enhanced.

Pets can be controlled by holding the alt key and using the right mouse button.

No Cost
Range: 850

This is great since his latest change. Enemies now buy QSS only to prevent the last inches of damage and from becoming a ghost. I no longer use it as a form of..."Use it on the carry and use the carry to penta". I now use it as a chunk of extra hp and extra damage to the enemy, as well as a execution move.

III. Mordekaiser's Build

This part of the guide goes by how often you should go back. Each number is another trip back to base. Avoid doing it earlier, but if you can't help it, buy the pieces instead of the full items (obviously).
Boots + 3 health potions
1.Sorcerers boots + 2-4hp potions
Hextech Revolver
Sheen
2.Guardian Angel
3.Hextech Gunblade
4.Trinity Force
5.Shurelia's Reverie
6.Situational Item (I recommend Void Staff, at which point you sell your sorcerers boots and replace them with mercury treads [or other boots]. Other items of interest are Spirit Visage - which increases healing from Hextech Revolver's lifesteal and spellvamp, on top of Morde's ulti -, Force of Nature - I don't really like it, but its up to you - and Randuin's Omen. These aren't the only options, but they are nice picks on Morde.)
7.Elixirs + Oracles. (Why not?)

Summoner Spells:
Always, always, Always take Flash and Ignite.

Runes:
For Runes I use:
- Magic Penetrations Reds
- Hp Regen/5/level Yellows
- Cooldown Reduction Blues
- 1 Magic Penetration Quint
- 2 Movement Speed Quints
OR
- 3 Movement Speed Quints

Masteries:
For Masteries I go 9/0/21, taking improved flash, 3 points in Ability power per level and 1 in critical chance, avoiding all mana masteries in support.

IV. Playstyle
Early game:
Take middle or top solo lane. You, nor your allies, get a choice in the matter. Its a necessity (I was listening to "Bare Necessities, The Jungle Book 2 when I wrote this...Coincidence? I think not!).

The following short section is old information, or in other words, the way I used to max out Morde's skills. I have since changed very significantly (though still overall the same). I left this old information in here for research and nostalgia's sake. Read it if you want.
[OLD INFORMATION]You have a choice in what you want to max out. If you feel comfortable with this build, or want to try something new max out Q, E second. If you don't feel comfortable with this build max E, Q second. Or if you don't know where you sit, max them evenly. Just realise: Q is your single target nuke, where E is your ranged harass, farm and last minute shield gain.

A lot of people are confused by maxing Q, just roll with it. Q a bunch of creeps when they get below 80 hp, play defensively (yes, thats right, a different method of playing Morde :O). Use Q and E in conjunction with each other to farm. By level 5 the enemy should not be able to get your shield down...At all. You should be harassing them constantly with random Q shards and E's.

If you decide to max E, then early game should be easy mode. Just run up to them, use E, and run back before they can do anything, MS Quints + boots early is a monster. Learn how much health you can instagib creeps with the Q+E combo and use it to your advantage.[/OLD INFORMATION]

[NEW INFORMATION]
I have a very weird style of ability leveling, I'll detail that here:
1. E - For safe farming and ranged harass
2. Q - For single target nuke, quick (anti-harass) shield generation
3. E - For safe(r) farming and ranged harass
4. Q - Your anti-jungler skill point. You get ganked at level 5, closing in on level 6.
5. W - Also anti-jungler, but in general useful for the armor/mr boost, extremely long distance shield generation and numerous other things.
6. R - Durr.
7. Q - You start maxing Q because its damage is extremely high.
8. W - The damage, shield generation and utility of this spell start outweighing E.
9. Q
10. Q
11. R
12. W - Still outweighs E
13. W
14. W
15. E
16. R
17. E
18. E
[/NEW INFORMATION]

The best tip I can give anyone is don't be a normal Morde. Normal Mordes are bad. Don't use E and Q everytime they are off cooldown, simply use them to harass when the enemy is near some low hp creeps, or just to finish a few low hp creeps. You want to farm, not to push. If you ever do end up pushing kill the enemy wraiths, or your own if your jungler is feeling bold.

If you ever get ganked (which god help you, you will), then don't panic. Think of it as an opportunity to get a double kill, or more (granted you are atleast level 5). Simply look for the moment one of them is out of Q's shard range, and Q. Watch the damage roll in. Also, Ult the one you do this to instantly and ignite them. They will be completely dumbfounded by the amount of burst you just dealt to them, giving you another second to finish them, and maybe their friend, off. Just always make sure you Q them when they are out of shard range!

Middle game:
You must realise that without revolver you are squishy, you hurt yourself when you cast. You may deal a f*ckload on the front end, but:
1.You can't deal that if they kite you.
2.You can't deal that if you are dead.
3.You have no lifesteal, spellvamp etc.

If there is no teamfight going on, you are farming and pushing. Farming and pushing. I repeated that bit because it is very, very important.

Late game:
This is around the time where the enemies will be extremely scared of you. This is why you have Shurelias Reverie. You Shurelias into the back of their team, Gunblade + Q + R + Ignite + E their carry, this should mean death but if it doesn't Q again. Spend the rest of the teamfight Q'ing their team, in order of weakest to strongest. Don't worry, getting 3v1'd and turret diving are no problem for you. If your target has banshees veil, simply use E before gunblade or Q.

V. Strengths and Weakness' of Mordekaiserkaiser
Strengths:
Mordekaiser has short cooldowns.
Mordekaiser's abilities have good innate damage ontop of the fact that most of them are AoE.
Mordekaiser's ult can turn a 5v5 into a 6v4, and a 3v5 into a 4v4.
Mordekaiser has godly farming and pushing capabilities.
Mordekaiser's Q has godly scaling.

Weakness':
Mordekaiserkaiser has no Crowd Control, no mobility abilities and is generally easily kited.
Mordekaiserkaiser is easily shut down early by Magic resistance
Mordekaiser's ult can be cleansed with Quicksilver Sash.

VI. Tricks and Tips

• If you get focused instantly, use Children of the Grave instantly to survive and kill off as many as you can.
  • If you get focused, but not by the most of their team, take on who you can and save your ulti for last hitting the enemy carry. This allows you to get their ghost, which really does change teamfights.
  • If you don't get focused at all, ghost/Shurelias into their carry, Gunblade them, and 2-Shot them with Q + R.
  • If you are ganked then use Q on them when they are alone (i.e. no enemies in the area, this is easier in mid as usually your middle opponent is ranged, but the one doing the gank [usually a jungler] is often melee). Then use Children of the Grave when you get to around 50% hp for a large sum of hp back and burst. Use it on the enemy you have been attacking and get their ghost, this might allow you to get a double kill.

VII.Credits
Norak (me) for making this guide.
Riot for making this awesome game.
Celther (my brother) for getting me into League of Legends.

VIII.Testimony:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewar View Post
This is the best build for morde I have ever tried which would be alot.
For more, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norak View Post
I just beat Katjak in a 1v1, him being Ashe, me using my Morde build. This is how it turned out:.....
For more, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwid1g View Post
Regardless, his tank build is bad for being a tank, like I stated before. The OP's build is squishier, but puts out a lot more damage because of it.
For more, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
Either way, I had a blast with the build and went 20-9-4 & 9-4-10(5v5s) (with a few extra unneeded deaths the 1st game b/c of being shockingly squishy.)
For more, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeX View Post
You ass. You just pwnd me with this build =.= I hate you
For more, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanerian View Post
It took me about 3 games to adjust to the slightly different playstyle with this Mord, but once I got the hang of it I realized how friggan powerful it was. I've played 20 or so games with it now and I definitely think it's the best build I've used with Mord
For more, click Here.

peteleetzor

12-04-2010

"Mordekaiser has lower innate hp than most tanks, making him more vulnerable when he is without his shield."

the guide isnt for a tank though?

This setup might be fun to try out, but I think once people realize that you have no health, no MR or Def, they are just going to kill you first.

If you can somehow chase someone with a soc boots and still manage to use siphon to kill, I really admire you as a morde user. If the other team just put one CC on you, your pretty much never going to catch up.

Also a double kill at 1v 2 with a morde that has no health items to start besides a doran shield, and maybe 1 pot is impossible, UNLESS

1) the enemy just happens to stand here to let u hit them,
2) you somehow have a **** load of minion to hit them
3) you are by a tower ( even then your ulti is DoT, meaning one of the other enemy will still do alot of dmg to you)

by their second or third skill/ auto attack, you are already at 1/2 health even after your ulti.

Norak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleetzor View Post
"Mordekaiser has lower innate hp than most tanks, making him more vulnerable when he is without his shield."

the guide isnt for a tank though?

This setup might be fun to try out, but I think once people realize that you have no health, no MR or Def, they are just going to kill you first.

If you can somehow chase someone with a soc boots and still manage to use siphon to kill, I really admire you as a morde user. If the other team just put one CC on you, your pretty much never going to catch up.

Also a double kill at 1v 2 with a morde that has no health items to start besides a doran shield, and maybe 1 pot is impossible, UNLESS

1) the enemy just happens to stand here to let u hit them,
2) you somehow have a **** load of minion to hit them
3) you are by a tower ( even then your ulti is DoT, meaning one of the other enemy will still do alot of dmg to you)

by their second or third skill/ auto attack, you are already at 1/2 health even after your ulti.
Yeah sorry, I used the old guide I made as a template, and it was a guide for Tank Morde.

1v2 as Morde is easy, if done right. If you want proof of the fact that this build works then here:

cyclewar

12-04-2010

This is the best build for morde I have ever tried which would be alot. The sheer amount that ulti does means he can drain a tank easily while in a 1v1 scenario the bonus from tri force put onto mace of spades is hilarious. Fight a low hp dps'er and watch their hp get cut in half by an attack u can use like 4 seconds later. Love it

Norak

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewar View Post
This is the best build for morde I have ever tried which would be alot. The sheer amount that ulti does means he can drain a tank easily while in a 1v1 scenario the bonus from tri force put onto mace of spades is hilarious. Fight a low hp dps'er and watch their hp get cut in half by an attack u can use like 4 seconds later. Love it
This exactly, with just Tforce you can get your Q do to around 800 damage.

Miltus

12-04-2010

My "old" Morde build seems to be working just fine, but hell, I'll give this a shot.

I gotta ask though... why Shurelya's Reverie? You get plenty of MS from Triforce/Ghost, and there are better items for HP/CDR, no?

Norak

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltus View Post
My "old" Morde build seems to be working just fine, but hell, I'll give this a shot.

I gotta ask though... why Shurelya's Reverie? You get plenty of MS from Triforce/Ghost, and there are better items for HP/CDR, no?
Well, its just that.

It's the best item for this Morde build because:
1. It gives a speed boost, not only to you, but to your allies. So you can save your allies sometimes.
2. Sure, Tforce and Ghost give a lot of MS, problem is that enemies have those too. Shurelia's allows you to catch people not only no matter what, but incredibly fast.
3.It gives hp and CDR, not many items give CDR and this allows you to reach close to max with the rest of my build.

There is just no better item. Sure, if you want more HP you could get Warmogs, if you want more CDR you could get Nashors, if you want more (consistant) speed you could get Phantom Dancers, but Shurelias provides it all at once.

Miltus

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norak View Post
Well, its just that.

It's the best item for this Morde build because:
1. It gives a speed boost, not only to you, but to your allies. So you can save your allies sometimes.
2. Sure, Tforce and Ghost give a lot of MS, problem is that enemies have those too. Shurelia's allows you to catch people not only no matter what, but incredibly fast.
3.It gives hp and CDR, not many items give CDR and this allows you to reach close to max with the rest of my build.

There is just no better item. Sure, if you want more HP you could get Warmogs, if you want more CDR you could get Nashors, if you want more (consistant) speed you could get Phantom Dancers, but Shurelias provides it all at once.
Soul Shroud costs only 85G more and give 190HP more and an awesome + permanent aura for your team..

Randuin's Omen costs 725G more (not counting gold from HoG) and gives 20 less HP, but gives a massive 90 Armor, slows people when they attack you and has an active that is actually better for catching up to people then Shurelya's because of diminishing return's on MS.

I just can't see why would you want a 2s move speed boost when you already have more movespeed than most people anyway + a Gunblade (or potential Randuin) slow. Morde gets no benefit from Mana Regen so I don't see when someone else on the team couldn't get it if you feel that MS is so important.

Norak

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltus View Post
Soul Shroud costs only 85G more and give 190HP more and an awesome + permanent aura for your team..

Randuin's Omen costs 725G more (not counting gold from HoG) and gives 20 less HP, but gives a massive 90 Armor, slows people when they attack you and has an active that is actually better for catching up to people then Shurelya's because of diminishing return's on MS.

I just can't see why would you want a 2s move speed boost when you already have more movespeed than most people anyway + a Gunblade (or potential Randuin) slow. Morde gets no benefit from Mana Regen so I don't see when someone else on the team couldn't get it if you feel that MS is so important.
With this build, its quite the opposite of normal Morde gameplay. You are still thinking like a normal Morde, which is OK, because you play him like that alot.

What you have to realise is that this Morde is not tanky. At all. Buying a Randuins would go to waste, unless it was a situational 6th item, because you don't want enemies attacking you, you want to be attacking the enemies.

Soul Shroud doesn't help chasing at all. Remember, I put the Shurelias in there as a chaser item with other perfectly fitting benefits to Morde.

Mestaaja

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleetzor View Post
"

This. One stun and you're pretty much toast. And people WILL focus you once they realize that you're building him as dps.
The difference between leveling Q and E is that with Q you actually need to get up to those minions and physically hit them to generate shield, with E you can frontload shield before you take damage, which you will if you're laning against any ranged with half a brain.
Triforce + gunblade are also extremely expensive, and as I see it you're pretty much skipping team fights before you get both (with boots and wards that's close to 9k). Yes you can farm probably better than anyone else but by the time you get your "core" items the game should be close to over anyway.
Interesting build tho, I will try it out, but I don't really see how this would be better than building mitigation with spell penetration.

12345 ... 11