Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Art Design: Pretty please stop giving skins to champions that don't need them.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Dunkmaster

08-12-2013

Arcade Hecarim is f*cking amazing though.

Instabuy for me.

Kryshim

08-12-2013

Quote:
Calintz6565:
Sejuani didn't need a new skin over the champs with like 1, that was pointless.

if you paid attention, the parrot said that sometimes skins are opportunistic. In this case, maybe they felt that Sejuani was the perfect fit for a Russian themed skin to celebrate the opening of the Russian servers. So let me pose this question to you: what champ and what skin theme would you go for to celebrate the Russian servers?

Tyrannus0

Recruiter

08-12-2013

Any news on Diana?

swordishforce

08-12-2013

What does the art team think about the current look of talon(Is he in line for a VU someday, sooner than later)? In my opinion he is quite bland and doesn't really have any wow factor to me,take that for whatever you want, i know my opinion is only 1 of millions so i'm sure there are people who love him and his look.

Elewd

08-12-2013

please tell me the rumble skin is "arcade Rumble" because it would be perfect for him.

Aimewow

08-12-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Every champion listed above currently has a skin in development, somewhere along the pipeline. Delays and time between skins hinge on a number of factors, I'll list some particular to this list:

Urgot - Something under development, however he's shambly and we need to screw with the rig a lot.

Zed - Fairly straight forward aside from that his shadows might be something else entirely in any given skin, mandating possibly another model and particle work for that model.

Zyra - Tons of models which require animation if they're anything different than the plant rigs, lots of particle work.

Thresh - Chains.

Nami - If we change the model into a different type of fish/sea creature, that will requite custom rigging for whatever additions we make. Example, new fins/membranes need a lot of animation support. She's also very particle heavy.

Skarner - Soon(tm)

Kha'Zix - Extremely VFX heavy, evolving model, etc.

Rengar - Not sure where he's at. He's straight forward, but not terribly old.

Syndra - Heavy particle work, possibly fabric animation support depending on the theme. Doing something cosmic would most likely require model translucency and/or scrolling textures which are just now being used on some newer skins.

Viktor - Tons of particle work and a couple of models for his traps.

Vi - Fairly recent release, should be something along relatively Soon(tm)

Aside from those specifics, certain things can constrain production, mainly VFX and animation. Both of which are heavily valued when it comes what players enjoy about new skins. Both tend to be the most pinched of resources internally. Additionally, a skin for any given champion might be in production, but then an event (Lunar Revel, Harrowing, etc) might pop up on our radar and we may realize a champion would better fit there. We might put the in-progress skin on hold while we make something appropriate for an upcoming event. Happened to a concept of mine recently.

As for Rumble, which people keep bringing up, I’ll restate: He’s the equivalent to the work of a new champion. He requires a completely new rig and animation sets if he’s to be anything different than the rickety mech he’s in now. That rig doesn’t support anything to the magnitude of fan-requested ideas, or concepts players have submitted. We’re going to change his rig for his upcoming skins. One of which is currently in production, but as I said, needs heavy animation support.

Hope that helps clarify!

Excuse me mister parrot, if you see this, can I ask what fabric animation is? Are you literally referring to animating her clothing (like Janna's tails), or something else?

Shad Croly

08-12-2013

Quote:
Aimewow:
Excuse me mister parrot, if you see this, can I ask what fabric animation is? Are you literally referring to animating her clothing (like Janna's tails), or something else?

Literally animating the clothes. Every animation, every movement made by a champion, including the sway of clothes and hair, is hand crafted.

HolyHammerStrike

08-12-2013

Quote:
Shad Croly:
Literally animating the clothes. Every animation, every movement made by a champion, including the sway of clothes and hair, is hand crafted.

Yup because this game doesn't have a "physics engine" though a physics engine might go haywire in this game.

doubleguac

08-12-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Every champion listed above currently has a skin in development, somewhere along the pipeline. Delays and time between skins hinge on a number of factors, I'll list some particular to this list:

Urgot - Something under development, however he's shambly and we need to screw with the rig a lot.

Zed - Fairly straight forward aside from that his shadows might be something else entirely in any given skin, mandating possibly another model and particle work for that model.

Zyra - Tons of models which require animation if they're anything different than the plant rigs, lots of particle work.

Thresh - Chains.

Nami - If we change the model into a different type of fish/sea creature, that will requite custom rigging for whatever additions we make. Example, new fins/membranes need a lot of animation support. She's also very particle heavy.

Skarner - Soon(tm)

Kha'Zix - Extremely VFX heavy, evolving model, etc.

Rengar - Not sure where he's at. He's straight forward, but not terribly old.

Syndra - Heavy particle work, possibly fabric animation support depending on the theme. Doing something cosmic would most likely require model translucency and/or scrolling textures which are just now being used on some newer skins.

Viktor - Tons of particle work and a couple of models for his traps.

Vi - Fairly recent release, should be something along relatively Soon(tm)

Aside from those specifics, certain things can constrain production, mainly VFX and animation. Both of which are heavily valued when it comes what players enjoy about new skins. Both tend to be the most pinched of resources internally. Additionally, a skin for any given champion might be in production, but then an event (Lunar Revel, Harrowing, etc) might pop up on our radar and we may realize a champion would better fit there. We might put the in-progress skin on hold while we make something appropriate for an upcoming event. Happened to a concept of mine recently.

As for Rumble, which people keep bringing up, I’ll restate: He’s the equivalent to the work of a new champion. He requires a completely new rig and animation sets if he’s to be anything different than the rickety mech he’s in now. That rig doesn’t support anything to the magnitude of fan-requested ideas, or concepts players have submitted. We’re going to change his rig for his upcoming skins. One of which is currently in production, but as I said, needs heavy animation support.

Hope that helps clarify!

I like you Ironstylus, and I think you and the rest of the art team do fantastic work with skins. I'm constantly impressed with the quality that gets put out.

That being said...

With the exception of a few legit reasons (kha, zyra, rumble) a lot of the rest feels like a bunch of excuses. I don't pretend to have any insight into graphic design or animation... but I really don't understand why it's taken this long to produce a Viktor skin. I've been playing since S1, and remember when he was released. He's been one of my favorite champs for a long time now.

You say he has "lots of particles"... but you just announced another legendary for a champ already flooded with skins. Certainly a 975 ip viktor skin isn't going to be as work intensive as a legendary for Janna? Like I said, I don't pretend to have any insight into graphic art, but just looking at the (extremely incomplete) animations on forecast janna, it feels like they have to be more work intensive than a basic viktor reskin with maybe some color changes on his abilities. Hell, I'd even settle for a 520. I just want something.

Hope this doesn't come off as me criticizing you personally. I know you're just one person in a big company, and I'm a big fan of your work and of Riot in general. I'm just frustrated by how long Viktor has been ignored, both in terms of balance and skins.

Aimewow

08-12-2013

Quote:
Shad Croly:

Thank you. For some reason I just thought it meant distortion affects, like when she summons a ball, or the warp around Lux's singularity. I don't know. Working on the "fabric" of space or something. Thanks for clarifying.