Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

the usefulness of flash in ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keepsake66

08-11-2013

I have been playing aram for a while now and recorded 114 games of it (57 wins and 57 losses). I have had my ups and my downs and have recently decided to play with my summoners a little bit. For the longest time, i played with either barrier/flash or heal/flash. While this is nice and it works, i had a strange feeling that this may not be the best choice of summoners. By no means am i saying flash is bad in aram. it is a good spell. But the problem i see with this summoner in aram over it in sr is that, on sr, there are walls to jump over to escape or join a fight and there are many opportunities where you have to get closer to a retreating team. Flash is almost a necessity. But, in the aram format, the fights are almost forced because there are few places to hide and no pathways to escape. So, in almost every circumstance, i find myself either already in a desired fight or too deep into an undesirable fight to have flashing away make a difference whatsoever.

Since i discovered this, i have been replacing flash, taking combinations such as heal/barrier for survival and (heal or barrier)/exhaust for a more aggressive approach. This change has caused some pretty awesome changes to occur in my experience playing aram. when i play a really squishy champ like anivia, the two survival spells have kept me alive long enough to make a huge impact on the fight (and got me a penta). The more aggressive set has seen the biggest improvement though. Holding exhaust, I immediately shut down that fed master yi or cait. It completely changes the dynamic of any fight and has just proven to be an overall more worthwhile spell than flash.

what are your thoughts on this?

zztophat

08-11-2013

The ability to instantly reposition yourself is OP.

Flash will not save you if you over extend, knowing when to flash and when a flash is useless are just as important as having it because if you can't use it properly you may well be better off taking something else.

Quote:
Keepsake66:
So, in almost every circumstance, i find myself either already in a desired fight or too deep into an undesirable fight to have flashing away make a difference whatsoever.

That is all you, that is not flash. If you are diving too deep for flash to be useful then... well you are diving too deep for flash to be useful.

Bonabon

08-11-2013

I wouldn't say it's useless in ARAM, but you're right that it's much more situational than in SR. Sometimes go without flash; mostly if I'm playing someone who can just sit in the back lines all day and not worry about danger (if I have tanky people to hide behind, in a team full of carries I'll definitely pocket Flash).

FDru

08-11-2013

Flash is not generally useful, it's generally bad. It's a selfish spell with a massively huge cooldown. Players who defend flash are the same players who stand behind the turret waiting for the game to end because they refuse to be aggressive. It's SR mentality at its best.

It makes sense to take flash on short ranged carries with no escape (exhaust is a decent alternative but they're both good). It makes sense to take it for strong initiators (Annie, Galio, Alistar, etc). It doesn't make sense to take it on every champ ever, and players who do probably lose more games than they should.

Look at my last match. Entire enemy team had flash and were destroyed by myself (Wukong) and Kha'Zix all game long. They barely even touched our turret. If just one of them had exhaust instead, they could have actually had a chance.

ııııııı

08-11-2013

There has been an uncountable amount of times that flash has saved me from a death in ARAM and turning the team fights around because of a well used flash; Nearly once, if not twice, a game. Like zztophat said, it's how you use it.
An defensive example is being right outside a bush and you're getting focused. A simple flash away won't quite save you but if you flash into the bush it will not only give you some space, but they will lose vision of you until you either attack in it or they have an allied force grant vision by moving into it.
So, IMO, flash and exhaust or barrier errygame.

Zielmann

08-11-2013

I've switched to taking flash every game because we're blind to the other team during champ select. Being able to flash out of certain things (blitz grabs, malph ults, etc) is just too good. When ARAM was still custom-only and we could see the other team, if there was nothing I felt I wanted to take flash against (and I wasn't a champ who likes to have flash for initiation, like Galio), I would totally switch off and take another heal for the team or something like that. (In reality, I was running heal/barrier or heal/exhaust much more often than flash/(barrier or exhaust))

Kholdstare13

08-11-2013

Flash should only be taken where it can be used to engage inward, never to dodge outward. Amumu, Galio, Janna, Thresh, even Fiddles for the double flash range into hourglass. Any champion with a strong PBAoE skill should probably take flash to improve their initiations. Anyone else should NOT take flash.

Compare, Jax jumps on you. You can flash away from him, saving yourself but leaving the guy next to you to die and jax gets away free, or you can exhaust him, gang up, burst him down while he's helpless. You can flash out of one skillshot, or run in with your team, take it to the face, then heal it back while also healing the REST of your team and turning the teamfight in your favor. Flash is a horrible defensive option for ARAM. Heal and exhaust are insanely strong. If you ever take flash, make sure it is for offensive purposes.

xPaYDaY

08-11-2013

I pretty much always take flash if I'm playing an ADC because I don't want an Irelia to jump on me and I cant do anything about it, unless I'm playing Ezreal or Cait I probably won't take it, but flash saves me a lot and it secures a lot of kills, flash is a definite viable spell in ARAM, also earlier I was playing a game as Teemo, Cho'gath was about to rupture me I flashed it and was able to kill him due to it, secured the ace and took a tower, how is that not acceptable?

FDru

08-11-2013

Quote:
xPaYDaY:
I pretty much always take flash if I'm playing an ADC because I don't want an Irelia to jump on me and I cant do anything about it

It's called exhaust. As a bonus, Irelia then doesn't get to maul the rest of your team while you escape.

Quote:
I was playing a game as Teemo

Yeah, well, it's fine to take flash on a short ranged squishy like Teemo. It's when you take it on Lux that makes you mentally retarded.

Random Shards

08-12-2013

I have to agree with the people saying flash is mostly good for initiators. The argument that "Flash saved me from X diving melee" is pretty much negated entirely when you look at the cooldown of Flash vs the cooldown of any champion skill. Flash has a base cooldown of 5 minutes, and it only moves you, it doesn't stop the champ from eating the rest of your team, or just diving onto you again.

Heal is a massive power spike in any fight for your team, exhaust lets you just kill whoever dives on you, and thus turns the fight to your favor pretty rapidly. Flash...just buys you, and only you, a few more seconds of life at best.