Master yi, the carrier, the ganker, the pwner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mrdudefool

12-18-2009

Me pwning, check it out

[img=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4574/yiowns.th.png]

In the picture link above, I basically , with my teammates, ganked the **** out of them.

The carrier, the ganker, the pwner

Hello all. This is my first guide for LoL so if you have any suggestions for this build, feel free to post it in the comments. I am by no means a leet player, but I have been having quite a lot of success with Yi. One thing to get out of the way before I start though; YI DOESN'T INITIATE A BATTLE! Wait for your allies to attack before going in and PWNING the sheet out of them. Also, analyze who you are attacking. For example, if you see a Tryndamere and he has not used his ult yet, try not to attack him yet (unless your very sure that you are going to kill him) Enough talk though, time to get on with the guide.

Skills:

Alpha Strike (mana cost: 90/105/120/135/150):

Master Yi leaps across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies, dealing 100/150/200/250/300 (+AP x 1.01) Magic Damage and has a 20/30/40/50/60% chance to deal 400 bonus damage to minions. 18 sec. cooldown.

This is basically Yi's farming/chasing/harassing skill. Use this on a group of minions because they will die really fast. When using this against a champion, I prefer to use it when they start running away from me, but it is also a good way to initiate a battle with Highlander and Wuju style all on.

Meditate (mana cost: 80/100/120/140/160)
:

Master Yi meditates restoring 150/300/500/750/1100 (+AP x 1.65) Health over 5 seconds. While Meditating Master Yi has a bonus 30 Armor and Magic Resist. 45 sec. cooldown.

This is plain **** at the beginning and middle of the game as it requires large amounts of mana and doesn't heal that much until later levels of it. Don't level this skill until you reach the end game.

Wuju Style (mana cost: 40):

Passively increases Physical damage by 15/20/25/30/35. Additionally, Master Yi can activate this ability to double its effectiveness for 10 seconds, this removes its passive bonus damage until Wuju Style becomes available again. 30 second cooldown.

This is a BEAST of a skill. Not only is the passive good, but when active and combined with Highlander, you will be pwning and killing people in 3 seconds that the guy you just killed would give a big WTF.

Highlander (mana cost: 120):

Increases Master Yi's Movement Speed by 40% and Attack Speed by 30/50/70%, and he becomes immune to all slowing effects for 6/9/12 seconds. Additionally, killing a champion refreshes all of Master Yi's cooldowns. 70 sec. cooldown.

This is a kickass ult. Basically it increases your attack rate substantially and increases your movement speed. The real pwnage of this skill is that you can NEVER be slowed or stunned (not even exhaust works on you with this). Great for chasing people when they realized that you just took out half of there health in 3 hits.

Skill Build:

1. Alpha strike
2. Wuju style
3. Alpha strike
4. Wuju style
5. Alpha strike
6. Highlander
7. Wuju style
8. Wuju style
9. Wuju style
10. Alpha strike
11. Highlander
12. Alpha strike
13. Meditate
14. Meditate
15. Meditate
16. Highlander
17. Meditate
18. Meditate

Random Person: How come I should use this skill build?:

Well, the reason is that you wanna balance your alpha strike and wuju style until level six (where you get your ult) so that you can farm and harass while still keeping some of the damage Wuju provides. Levels 7, 8, 9, however, are entirely devoted to leveling Wuju Style because you are now in the mid game, and Wuju becomes really important when ganking.

Item build:

I won't give a particular order to what you should get since it mostly depends on who you are facing, but I will give some suggestions as to which are most effective.

Early game Items:

Meki Pendant (I always get this first as it regenerates my mana quite well. In the beginning of the game, you would be running short of mana without this item.)

Beserker Greaves (Its always good to get some boots. Beserker Greaves increases speed to 3. Increases attack rate by 25%. Good for beginning.)

(you could get some more stuff but this is just what I recommend)

Mid-game items
:

Macred's Razors: Good item to have as it increases damage and could deal 500 damage to creeps.

Phage: Increases health and attack damage. What makes this good is that it has a chance to slow down your opponent and sets a foundation for Frozen Mallet.

Phantom Dancer: Increases your attack speed by 45% (kickass), Increases crit chance by 30% (awesome) and other stuff.

Zeal: Increases attack speed and other stuff.

Endgame Items:

Frozen Mallet: Ya this just OWNS! Physical attack decreases movement speed.

Infinity edge: Pretty much a no-brainer here. It increases your damage by 80 and crit strike by 20%.This combined with with phantom dancers/ zeal attack speed and frozen mallets slow is ownage.

Other items your might consider:

Wit's End
Malady (if you want to jungle)
Recurve Bow
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Tiamat

How to play Yi with this build:

Beginning:

Start by picking a lane THAT is not middle. Stick with it and try harassing the other champions with alpha strike. DON'T DIE!

Midgame:
Start ganking people. At this point in the game try to get some of your other teammates to do the same by pinging. Remember, let your teammates engage before you do anything. Once ready to gank, pop on highlander and wuju and try to attack the squishier champions. Always run away from a battle you and your teammates are losing though; there is no point in feeding them.

Endgame:
By now you should have Infinity edge and Frozen mallet. End game is where you get really important for the team. Not only do you deal insane damage to enemy champions, but you can also destroy towers very quickly with highlander and wuju on, therefor you are really important when pushing.

Masteries:
Max deadliness

One in cripple
Max out alacrity
Max out sunder
two in offensive mastery
Max Brute Force
Max Lethality
Max improved rally
Max Havoc

Thank you guys for reading my guide. I hope this helps people out when playing yi.

Peace out,

Mrdudefool

blackmoses

12-18-2009

good guide just a couple of points here.

1.) don't get boots of swiftness, get berserker greaves since Yi's damage is from attacking fast for his passive to proc.

2.) I've found this item build to work:
meki
zerkers
zeal
phage
IE

game is usually gg after you get IE

3.) I love Yi solo mid don't know why you don't.

4.) take exhaust and ignite as your summoner skills and you'll own early game.

5.) you never talked about runes. Since the patch attack speed runes are OP. without even trying i can get 20% increased attack speed at lvl.1. so combine that with zerker greaves and early game is gg especialy if you get to lane with taric or soraka.

theFred

12-18-2009

Try the avarice blade build.

Boots of speed
Avarice
Avarice
Avarice
Chalice or Philosophers or Banshee Veil (Start w Catalyst)
Infinity Edge.

If you are careful and go back to buy asap, I have had all above by 20 - 22 min.

Now it gets fun.

Run around ganking the hell out of people and making mad cash.

upgrade boots -> Bezerker greaves or Merc treads
trade avarice blade for Zeal -> phantom dancer
trade 2nd avarice for Phage -> frozen mallet
trade third avarice for another Phantom dancer

Now you are a killing machine...

I didn't have the second Phantom Dancer and we were in their base, getting ready to assault the nexus towers when all 5 enemy champs came after me. I killed them all, 5 in a row, which prompted an instant surrender. It's almost too easy.

gunsharp

12-18-2009

Won't you have mana issues with this build? I find myself relying on alpha strike to get gold in the beginning sometimes when they have range harassing heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFred View Post
Try the avarice blade build.

Boots of speed
Avarice
Avarice
Avarice
Chalice or Philosophers or Banshee Veil (Start w Catalyst)
Infinity Edge.

If you are careful and go back to buy asap, I have had all above by 20 - 22 min.

Now it gets fun.

Run around ganking the hell out of people and making mad cash.

upgrade boots -> Bezerker greaves or Merc treads
trade avarice blade for Zeal -> phantom dancer
trade 2nd avarice for Phage -> frozen mallet
trade third avarice for another Phantom dancer

Now you are a killing machine...

I didn't have the second Phantom Dancer and we were in their base, getting ready to assault the nexus towers when all 5 enemy champs came after me. I killed them all, 5 in a row, which prompted an instant surrender. It's almost too easy.

BEST ADC W0RLD

12-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoses View Post

1.) don't get boots of swiftness, get berserker greaves since Yi's damage is from attacking fast for his passive to proc.

meki
zerkers
zeal
phage
IE

5.) you never talked about runes. Since the patch attack speed runes are OP. without even trying i can get 20% increased attack speed at lvl.1. so combine that with zerker greaves and early game is gg especialy if you get to lane with taric or soraka.

Oh sorry. What I meant was beserker greaves, but the boots of swiftness pictture is the same. Ill change it right away.

I hate when Yi solo mid because In the beginning of the game, I like to take advantage of brush. Only top and bottom lane has brush that are situated to my taste, but its your choice really.

In terms of runes, you don't really need them to pwn with yi, so I decided to leave them out, but I might add them soon.

For gunsharp:

you will only get some mana problems in the beginning, but afterwards you will only have a little. The thing is if you have the mana Item I suggested, even if you do run out of mana from time to time, it will regenerate fast.

ps: vasdeferens is my bro's account. Forgot to logout ^_^

mrdudefool

12-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoses View Post

meki
zerkers
zeal
phage
IE

back to my real account lol, anyways,

In terms of your item build, where is your crit items and attack speed items aside from zeal and zerkers? When I use my build I crit as often as I normal hit, which is always good to have wiht soime attack speed. Your build may work, but it ma not be that effective.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-18-2009

I tend to hold off on rushing boots as Yi is already very fast. I typically start with a long sword and a health pot and try to last hit. I play more conservatively at the beginning, conserving mana unless a gib oppurtunity arises, or there are multiple creeps at low life (remember, if you alpha strike alot of mobs at full health, you will probably get them low but not kill them, and your partner will get the last hits before you do).

I rush Madred's Razors and then get vamp scepter for lifesteal, and then go jungling. With this you can easily dominate golam, lizard, dragon wiithout losing any life. This ends any sort of mana problems I would have too, as I would always have the golem buff. While jungling, I also look out for ganking oppurtunities and scour the field trying to gank whatever I can find.

I then build towards Beserker's Greaves and then start building malady from my vampiric scepter. After that, I build infinity edge and then phantom dancer. cash flow should be easy due to madred's razor. Once you get infinity edge, survey your enemy. If your opponents are tank-heavy or in general HP-heavy (like Cho'Gath, Amumu, and a RoA stacking Kassadin), then build Madred's Bloodrazor out of your Madred's Razor and hold off on the phantom dancer, getting it later if you can (you probably wont). If your opponents are not, then sell Madred's razor and start building phantom dancer.

this is typically how I build my Yi. But I have to admit, I never get frozen mallet and it does sound like an excellent idea. Maybe I will get it after my malady...it will give me some survivability too.

mrdudefool

12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
I tend to hold off on rushing boots as Yi is already very fast. I typically start with a long sword and a health pot and try to last hit. I play more conservatively at the beginning, conserving mana unless a gib oppurtunity arises, or there are multiple creeps at low life (remember, if you alpha strike alot of mobs at full health, you will probably get them low but not kill them, and your partner will get the last hits before you do).

I rush Madred's Razors and then get vamp scepter for lifesteal, and then go jungling. With this you can easily dominate golam, lizard, dragon wiithout losing any life. This ends any sort of mana problems I would have too, as I would always have the golem buff. While jungling, I also look out for ganking oppurtunities and scour the field trying to gank whatever I can find.

I then build towards Beserker's Greaves and then start building malady from my vampiric scepter. After that, I build infinity edge and then phantom dancer. cash flow should be easy due to madred's razor. Once you get infinity edge, survey your enemy. If your opponents are tank-heavy or in general HP-heavy (like Cho'Gath, Amumu, and a RoA stacking Kassadin), then build Madred's Bloodrazor out of your Madred's Razor and hold off on the phantom dancer, getting it later if you can (you probably wont). If your opponents are not, then sell Madred's razor and start building phantom dancer.

this is typically how I build my Yi. But I have to admit, I never get frozen mallet and it does sound like an excellent idea. Maybe I will get it after my malady...it will give me some survivability too.

Your build is good but I usually do not jungle that much in my games so i tend to not get lifesteal early on.