[Guide]: Gangplank: "What's this, AP Business? Yar Har!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EasymodeX

12-06-2010

I like getting Mejai and SotO on the Plank. He's one of the most defensive champs in the game for the first 30 minutes, with easy access to assists from his ult.

shadowchamp

12-06-2010

Great/well developed guide. keep up the good work ill try this out.

gallantgreg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cougar View Post
Now if you're just adding numbers, IE would net a total 338 with Parrley (108 lvl 18 + 80 for IE + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Whereas RoA and Lichbane would hit for 418 (108 lv 18 + 80 maxed RoA + 80 Lichbane + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Funny enough, Sheen alone hits for 366 (108 lvl 18 + 108 Sheen proc + 150 lvl 5 Parrley)

Granted, going AD does mean you're basic attack hits harder, allowing you to take out towers faster.

Overall with the build it look like an interesting alternative for Gang.

Kicker question now that I think of it. The extra Sheen or Lichbane damage do not get factored when getting a critical correct?
You messed up the first calculation. Ignoring potential 48AD from Raise Morale (since that would shift the bias to crit Gangplank) and armor the IE only would be as follows:

(111 lvl 18 + 80 IE + 150 Parrrley) x 0.22 x 2.6 + (111 lvl 18 + 80 IE + 150 Parrrley) x 0.78 x 1 = 461

So it does better damage and costs 2.5k gold less (than RoA + Lichbane). Therefore requiring less farm to be good.

Yes mageplank and critplank are about the same in terms of effectiveness with critplank being better super late game and mageplank just requiring ridiculous amounts of farming to do anything.

The main problem your mageplank is that most of the core items have unnecessary stats which are very costly such as the multiple Sapphire Crystals and Null Magic Mantle which I would consider to be 1.2k gold of wasted stats. You could always just add an Archangels Staff to your build to attempt to make it cost effective haha, but then that just removes that slot for items that provide some utility =(

Craixis

12-07-2010

Mana for the early game isn't that bad, it really stops shining in the mid to late game where you get a large dose of mana regen from the runes. The main reason for something like RoA though, is because what would a better choice for Catalyst when you need AP and you're on the front line most of the time?

The only other two things that catalyst can be made into are locket (which I may need to try) and B Vale, the latter making you a beast to take down in teamfights, while the former I haven't tried yet (look at it once, saw I could afford it, said "screw it, RoA here I come!")

M resist isn't really a wasted stat, again... you're on the front line, anything that can shrug off damage isn't a hamper (so its really only 800g lost... If we were playing MF or something, who shouldn't be in the fight, then yes, that M resist is useless. But Melee characters are right in the thick of the AoEs and Galio Ults and Magic Missiles flying around, they need all the help they can get).

You argue that it's 2000 more gold to make RoA and Lichbane, but you also have to remember my first item builds into Catalyst (RoA), while your first item will either be Meki pendant, or Brawlers Glove (unless you go into the lane with nothing). I also have more staying power in lane while I'm farming my mats (which are also cheaper, for the most part), and once I get sheen, my last hitting skills sky rocket. Pick axe and Cloak of Agility doesn't quite do all that, you still have an issue farming and are more reliant on the RNG. You can also argue that you need more crit before you start noticing the extra damage from IE, which means you need items like Zeal or Ghostblade which boost crit and damage, but not Surv (while my items boost surv as well as my damage).

My build can also switch mid game, if I decide I don't want Lichbane or RoA I can start farming my IE (selling Catalyst for the CoA and Recipe Cost when I farm just under 300g, I lose 401g from selling the Catalyst, but it's well worth it when you're able to spam skills without fear of running out of mana) and immediately switch focus to a carry build (see the second item build).

By level 13, I have both my core items with boots, how often can Critplank's say that without getting fed by fools in the laning phase?

Freedom Fries

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2010

Does this build works even today ? I'm not sure of any patch affecting Gangplank during these past months, so maybe it has changed, but i really want to give it a try :/

silverfoxxflame

12-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craixis View Post
However, AP stacking is easier then stacking Damage in general, and as I said before, most AP items have utility vs Crit/AD items (Honestly, who can't say being able to blow 30% of a target's life away isn't impressive, or the ability to become immortal for 2 seconds while you wait for your cooldowns).
I just had this image in my head of a gangplank 5v1 calling an ult on himself with 5 people on him... then shielding himself inside of it while people either get hit hard for a moment or run away...

Practical and possible? extremely low. but it makes it hysterical nonetheless :3

Craixis

12-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimble View Post
Does this build works even today ? I'm not sure of any patch affecting Gangplank during these past months, so maybe it has changed, but i really want to give it a try :/
... This build was drafted in November, and posted this December (on the third).

Edit: Give it a go, it is more of a beginner guide to plank then anything (AP Plank is arguable easier to play then Critplank, due to higher Surv and reliable damage vs trying to fight with the RNG, which isn't always friendly). There was no major patch that makes this work, it's just Remove Scurvy and Cannon Barrage scale off of AP, which means you have a total scaling of 2.2 with Lichbane (1 for Parrrley, 1 for Remove Scurvy, .2 per cannon ball on Cannon Barrage). It isn't the "best" way to play Plank, but its a great place to start if you haven't played him before and gotten used to his less then spectacular early game.

mindspin

12-18-2010

I for one am excited to try this out

Much Naughty

12-18-2010

The new changes to last whisper can potentially make it work into an AP build like this. You also forgot to include that AP gang does more tower damage with high AP lichbane procs than AD.

Felgash

12-23-2010

i give up upon ap gp, ppl flame you too hard to actually be able to do it