Optimizing performance for you Mac LOL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

asdfchamp7

02-13-2014

please help with league being stuck at 99 % during the download! i really want to play this game and so far i have gotten no support from riot employees which really frustrates me. This is a big issue for lots of people yet there is no effort to help. Riot, learn to play better support and please help me and many others out.

acrid56

02-16-2014

Ryhoko, yes v=sync will help (if you have had the computer for a while) did you make sure to turn shadows off?

Xeculus, great to know, lol. jk. braggart

asdf, this is not a rage thread. i am genuinely trying to help people. I have already said i am not affiliated to RIOT in anyway. I can, however, suggest that you repair your client (in the patcher window). if that doesn't work, try uninstalling and re downloading league. What are your stats, and your operating system?

Xeculus

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrid56 View Post

Xeculus, great to know, lol. jk. braggart
Caught red-handed :P

Mike4Real

02-19-2014

Hey acrid56,
Just a quick question, since I happen to know you are one of few people who do not have the freezing on death issue... what kind of hard drive do you have?

If you have an SSD or a PCI SSD that might explain something.

Pissin

02-23-2014

Specs... Processor and memory: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus
4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive4
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
Mavericks OS

So it sucks on Mac for me. I have a Windows 7 32 bit partition on my MacBook and it works much better at higher fps and settings. Why would this be?

Mike4Real

02-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissin View Post
So it sucks on Mac for me. I have a Windows 7 32 bit partition on my MacBook and it works much better at higher fps and settings. Why would this be?
This is because Riot has not made the client properly optimized yet. Just about everyone I've talked to gets better performance on the same machine when they use bootcamp. Riot just isn't working hard enough on the Mac client right now.

acrid56

03-03-2014

Pissin, and Mike4Real, the answer is the same for the two of you: the mac client needs to run through a wrapper first, as Leagues main files are actually incompatible with mac, meaning you need higher specs to run those files. Nope, no ssd:P it may be because i have 1 gb vram/ 8 gb ram however.

Mike4Real

03-03-2014

Quote:
Pissin, and Mike4Real, the answer is the same for the two of you: the mac client needs to run through a wrapper first, as Leagues main files are actually incompatible with mac, meaning you need higher specs to run those files. Nope, no ssd:P it may be because i have 1 gb vram/ 8 gb ram however.
Well since were on the official client now, I don't think its a wrapper anymore right? I mean back when we were on iLoL I know we had to use a wrapper to play the game, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Unless you mean something else.

And yea thanks for the hard drive info, but the Riot guy already responded saying it was their slow ActionScript programming with the DeathRecap screen. So apparently that's what's been causing it and I have no idea how a few seldom outliers were able to avoid the issue.

acrid56

03-04-2014

pretty sure we are still using a wrapper (going from what ive seen poking around in the files)

ilong27

03-19-2014

Quote:
First, let me make it clear that if you have ANYthing to contribute about making your macs performance better, please post here!
I know i would have liked soething like this when i started out

So, having lag issues? Your fps sucks? Well, despair no more

1. Before starting a game, turn off any unneeded applications, especially ram or vram intensive programs- such as other games, 3D renders, Photoshop.

2. During the loading screen, DO NOT go on youtube! for some reason, this backs up your computers performance by including irrelevant instructions even while its trying to process your Lol game.

3. Turn off shadows. This is the biggest drain on your vram (graphics memory, and as such will cause your fps to become unbearable.

4. go to Applications > utilities > activity monitor, and open it. then in the upper right corner, click on 'all processes', and change it to 'all procceses, hieracially' then, in the comln ifo bar, click in %cpu to sort by the cpu usage. if theres some back ground proccess running that takes up more than 25+ % of your cpu, and your computer doesn't need it ( Like a printers subproccesses, turn it off by clicking quit progress in the upper left corner

5. Get rid of any unneeded files on your mac, look through your folders, and delete what you don't need.

6. In case you haven't, change your in game graphic settings by pressing esc key--> video--> etc. which will bump your frame rate up just a bit.

7. boot it up in recovery mode and run the disk utility. I tell it to check the hard drive and let it go. Usually one or two things might pop up and it'll fix them.
to get to this mode while its booting press and hold the right option button then select the recovery partition. thanks Lady Riolyne

8. Don't play in full screen, this can sometimes lead to fps 'lag'

9. To lower any other lag, (like jumping, freezing), close any apps that use the internet.

10. turn your laptops resolution to that of your league settings, or turn down your league game clients resolution.

11. Reset your SMC,http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 (thankyou, fertilizer)

12. turn VSYNC off, In game settings -> Video -> Uncheck "wait for vertical sync"

13. if your sound is constantly cutting out- your Skype or similar voice chat software is most likely responsible. closing it, and then reopening will fix this about 50% of the time, but as of now, i have no clue why it does that.

14. Reboot frequently. This clears your cache!

Operating systems:

works from 10.6 - 10.8 osx
10.9 - maverick will work on some machines, but may cause errors on other
- App Nap is something you should consider if you have multiple applications open, to give LOL a larger Ram allotment

Thats all for now, but if you have any suggestion or things that helped, post them! (and i will move them here)

Also, let me just say this (in case you were wondering) there really is no difference running LOL on mac or windows. in the end, all that matters really is your vram and ram, 250 mb/ 2 gb (respectively) is all you need.

And, if none of these help, these links should be able to further help you:

https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...roubleshooting
https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...olutions-guide
This post is VERY helpful especially for us Mac user(s) that love to play League of Legend.
I just want to thank-you for the person that put together this long list of steps for me.
I want to clear out a few things that I experienced from those steps that will definitely boost your FPS.

* Reboot your Mac before do any following steps

* Do not play on fullscreen Mode - Go adjust that in LoL setting

* Disconnect all the unnecessary connected devices like external Hard Drive

* Disconnect your Second Monitor by pulling your Thunder Bolt Cable (if you connect to any) , and play in the main screen/monitor.

* Quit Dropbox if you set up dropbox to run at log in.

* Definitely use Wire Connect rather than WiFi. ( Do not forget to turn of your WiFi after connected though wire )

* Do NOT run any applications at all - and run only LoL

* While in game, do not use any type of browser like : Safari | Chrome | Firefox [ Basically : anything that will use an internet connection ]

* Turn Off Vertical Sync + Shadow in LoL Setting

my iMac 24" boost from 20 FPS - 60 FPS