My Caitlyn Re-design (Art)

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelandra

08-06-2013

A re-design done by me! I figured since I don't really like how she looks now, I'd make a new one. I think I heard somewhere that Riot was working on a re-design of her as well, so I thought I'd just share mine!

I personally hate Caitlyn's hat but I didn't forget about it. The original design doesn't have it but I created one just in case people requested one.

I was playing around with a different style of art when it came to her face but I'm not surehow I feel about it. I was playing with angles and 100% Opacity.

I hope you guys like her!

UPDATE 2/21/2014: Revised. Hopefully she's not too dark, if so then lightening her won't be a problem. I'll add the hat later. Oh and the only knowledge I have of guns is what I gather from other games....so..very little other than "It looks like a gun."

Haha fun fun fun.

Here's the DA Link! http://xelandra.deviantart.com/art/C...ited-435778054

Name:  CaitlynRe-Design-Revised.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  215.6 KB

Name:  CaitlynRedesign.jpg
Views: 13967
Size:  207.8 KB

Name:  CaitlynRedesignhatflat.jpg
Views: 22357
Size:  228.7 KB

Overlord Forte

08-06-2013

YES PLEASe

Xarue

08-07-2013

About time someone figured out the look, the original stripper one was ok but I think this would be an improvement. Good job.

Garthul

08-07-2013

I like this a lot! I had an old thread about the same thing, redesigning Caitlyn. She really needs it because she doesn't even look like she's from the same world as the other Piltover champions.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2910826
If you're interested. I think I like your approach a little more, and the quality of yours is much higher as well. I tried to maintain the silhouette a bit through iterative design, but basically as long as she has that little mini-skirt she will never have an appearance that meshes with the character's persona, nor her position as sheriff.

Garthul

08-07-2013

One thing, even though you may hate the hat (and believe me, I understand), I don't think it's a good idea to ditch it entirely because you lose too much of the character. It would be like if they removed Yi's silly goggles or sword-boots.
I think the approach you've taken to reintroducing it is good. It's still identifiably Caitlyn's hat, but significantly less mad hatter-ish.

Fulgetra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2013

She looks much less fan-service stripper and more steampunk, which is kind of the theme of champion I have come to expect from Piltover champs

Ownsagarden

08-07-2013

Awesome stuff. This needs to get seen by riot for sure.

Shadowmender

08-07-2013

i like

Xelandra

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthul View Post
I like this a lot! I had an old thread about the same thing, redesigning Caitlyn. She really needs it because she doesn't even look like she's from the same world as the other Piltover champions.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2910826
If you're interested. I think I like your approach a little more, and the quality of yours is much higher as well. I tried to maintain the silhouette a bit through iterative design, but basically as long as she has that little mini-skirt she will never have an appearance that meshes with the character's persona, nor her position as sheriff.
I really like yours! You toned down the hat and you kept her belts and stripes in mind!It looks great

I think the mini skirt worked well for her in the beginning of the games popularity. Though her original skin looks great, I think that the game is taken much more seriously now, thus needs more thought out character designs. That's not bashing the artist at all, but yes the mini skirt defeats her lady-like yet powerful authoritarian style. I just don't see Caitlyn's character dressing that way. If she plays by the books, then she might follow a dress code as well.

I'm sure Riot already sees this and is working on it.

Garthul

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelandra View Post
I really like yours! You toned down the hat and you kept her belts and stripes in mind!It looks great

I think the mini skirt worked well for her in the beginning of the games popularity. Though her original skin looks great, I think that the game is taken much more seriously now, thus needs more thought out character designs. That's not bashing the artist at all, but yes the mini skirt defeats her lady-like yet powerful authoritarian style. I just don't see Caitlyn's character dressing that way. If she plays by the books, then she might follow a dress code as well.

I'm sure Riot already sees this and is working on it.
I agree with you 100% on this. The old characters have interesting and unique designs, but are so odd that they are difficult to fit to the more refined aesthetic that Riot has adopted. Rammus, Annie, Tristana, Nunu...none of these would have been made after 2011. I'm interested in how they do the updates for some of the old characters.

1234511 ... 14