Promotion Series Expirations

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Socrates

Systems Designer

08-06-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey Summoners,

We made some changes to the way a promotion series can expire over time. Read below for an explanation:

Short summary: Last patch we released a change to the league system to fix a behavior that was extending players promotion series beyond the expected time amount. From the day you enter your series, you now have 28 days to complete that promotion series or it will be automatically ended.

Context: With the latest ranked play update, players now have a 28 day time limit from the day they qualify to complete their tier / division promotion. Previously we had allowed players to extend the series for an indefinite amount of time. Players who fail to complete their promotion series within 28 days will be removed from out of their series, where regular LP decay can be applied.

This change was to address an unintended behavior that was causing some players to have a promotion series that could run almost the full duration of the season. We've applied the update retroactively to all players currently participating within ranked play.

Unfortunately we failed to properly message this change within our official patch notes, and some players may have already been affected by it. This announcement is to provide clarity if you've been automatically failed out of your promotion series and were wondering why. We apologize for the inconvenience as we strive to make ranked play a more consistent and dynamic experience overall.

DD Tanner

08-06-2013

Sweet. Thanks!

Riot Pwyff

Player Communications

Follow Riot Pwyff on Twitter

08-06-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Staging these posts ahead of time makes them fall down in the shadows so... Up we go!

SirtyStan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2013

Whoah. Nice.

EDIT: I just read another post here and I think this change could help a little, since it now stops any players from reserving spots in Challenger for too long. This also nudges players along into completing their promo series, which I think is a nice touch.

It's a small help, but a help nonetheless.

Masterwalker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2013

Great... Now can we make players fall off from the V division?

The Scyphozoa

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Socrates View Post
consistent and dynamic experience
...what?

MMEGATRON

08-06-2013

How about just remove promotion series as a whole?

aKa Bad BoY

08-06-2013

28 days still a long time

unless u on a vacation

then what do?

QuickDash

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterwalker View Post
Great... Now can we make players fall off from the V division?
no plz, then people in diamond 5-4 would actually try = boring

AxlStream

08-06-2013

Damn you Riot! I was sitting on my Bronze II to Bronze I promo until I was certain I could carry the damn thing and now you will "force" me to play it and potentially lose it?