What runes do you guys get as tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

congalong

12-17-2009

I'm kinda curious to see what kind of runes people get as tanks.

Debating if I want just a nice cheap page of Magic resist and armor or keep with my current hp/level runes.

JayceJa

12-17-2009

mp/5

i play rammus as my tank, and being able to powerball a lot more helps for farming and ganking since he has quite low mana

Monnok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2009

The setup ive been using on my Malph that ive really like is:
flat health quints - REALLY helps you tank dragon @ lvl 1
mp/5 @ 18 glyphs - nothing is worse than having max health and no mana just before a teamfight

marks and seals are kinda up in the air right now, currently using crit chance and hp @ 18 runes, respectively.

OctopusDropkick

12-18-2009

You want Cooldown reduction for your blues without question. As a tank there aren't a lot of cooldown items you usually want to run toward, save for Frozen Shield -- but even then you're far from the maxed out 40% cooldown. You also don't want to hog Golem runes for your casters, so you can't just hope you'll have access to that all the time.

Since you're a tank you have a lot of useful utility skills that make you dangerous, such as Rammus' taunt. Be sure to take Cooldown Reduction for blues. You'll max out your utility and danger as a tank.

IEatBabies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
mp/5

i play rammus as my tank, and being able to powerball a lot more helps for farming and ganking since he has quite low mana
they switched the blue with the yellows for the most effective mp/5. I'm kinda annoyed with my rune purchase, but whatever. It works out better for the casters.

For Cho' I get dodge in yellow, flat magic resist in red, cooldowns in blue, and quints are usually armor or move speed.

Bloodba7h

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctopusDropkick View Post
You want Cooldown reduction for your blues without question. As a tank there aren't a lot of cooldown items you usually want to run toward, save for Frozen Shield -- but even then you're far from the maxed out 40% cooldown. You also don't want to hog Golem runes for your casters, so you can't just hope you'll have access to that all the time.

Since you're a tank you have a lot of useful utility skills that make you dangerous, such as Rammus' taunt. Be sure to take Cooldown Reduction for blues. You'll max out your utility and danger as a tank.
This is really good advice.

Another thing to note, however, is that even though your abilities may be up sooner with cooldown reduction runes, sometimes you don't need more abilities in a teamfight. It usually happens that you wipe a team, or they wipe you, and then you meet up again at a later time when your cooldowns are already back anyways.

I think this advice is situational on a per-matchup, per-champion basis.

Not that cooldown reduction runes aren't amazing or anything.

Quinnister

12-21-2009

I, personally, go MR runes.

It pretty much puts your base MR at the same level as your base armor and you can deal with the enemy team accordingly.

I8C SRS FACE

12-22-2009

Totally depends on what champion you're playing. Just because champions can be labeled under "Tank" does not mean they want the same runes.

Personally, I play a lot of Mundo. My runes are crit/armor/cooldown and my quints, if I got them specifically for Dr. Mundo, would be +HP. (However, my runes are -time spent dead, as those help regardless of what champion I decide to play.) The crit runes for Mundo make his Masochism ability extremely deadly at lower levels (helps all game, but especially early on). I also think Armor > Magic Resist in terms of runes because if the enemy team demands you need magic resist, it's easier to build and stay super effective throughout the game than buying raw armor items. (I'm not always buying Warden's Mail every game I play against physical DPS champs, but I am buying Force of Nature and/or Banshee's Veil every game against significant magic DPS champs.)

Nunu and Kayle probably want raw AP runes. That helps Cho'gath, too, now that I think about it. Lots of tanks might want Mana runes. Raw +HP runes are good on every champion and are never a bad idea.

EchoRex

12-22-2009

Crit Reds and Blues with Dodge Golds and Quints.

With the prevalence of PhysCarries simply grabbing Ninja Tabi will put you over 20% dodge, that is almost a straight 20% reduction in the vast majority of their damage.

Crit runes because, well, damage is good, and lets you get an appreciable amount of crit with tank-ish items fairly easily, 35-40% with just Atma's, runes and natural crit rate, a zeal will pop you to the "magic" 50% mark.

FluorescentBulb

03-14-2011

Low level still, so currently I have mana regen, which is good for pretty much all champions, and AD. The mana lets me stay in lane pretty much forever and the AD, well I'm Gragas, so I rush in and make them realize they can't win. Mostly for early game scare tactics and longevity.