Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Tribunal and You- A Guide to the TBI Forums

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreyvan

08-03-2013

A lot of people visiting this area of the forums seem to be confused or unsure of what it's for. They also seem to be confused or unsure about what to post when they're here. The aim of this thread is to help assist these individuals and hopefully improve the accuracy and speed at which we can assist those seeking help and reformation.

That being said, this will be broken up into two sections. The first section is why is this subforum here and what is it for. The second section is what to post, a general guideline of how to post, and what to expect for replies.

What are the Tribunal Ban Inquiry Forums?

The Tribunal Ban Inquiry forums are for the purpose the name implies. They are a subsection of the forums designed for those individuals who have received notification of a punishment issued by the Tribunal and inquire about why they received said punishment. This area of the forums, for the most part, is entirely community run. Since the Tribunal is a community entity, it is expected that this be the case. Riot employees rarely post here. They typically stop by to lock/remove topics that violate the forum rules, but not much else beyond that.

What this section is for:
  • Receiving an email about a warning issued by the Tribunal.
  • Receiving an email about receiving a time ban by the Tribunal.
  • Receiving an email about receiving a permanent ban from the Tribunal.
  • If you have found a case while voting and are confused by the outcome (sometimes more insight helps).

What this section is not for:
  • Calling people out who harassed you in a match.
  • Posting post game chat, pre game chat, screenshots, etc. as "evidence"
  • Complaining/ranting/raging about your previous match and people's behavior during said match.
  • Complaining/ranting/raging about receiving any form of punishment, up to and including permanent bans.
  • Insulting the Tribunal, Tribunal judges, or Riot Employees
  • Trying to get the direct attention of a Riot employee.
  • Trolling, insulting, flaming, or attempting to bait people into any of these either by responding to a post or making a post with this as the intent.
  • LeaverBuster (automated) bans for leaving/AFKing in games.
  • The in-client behavior prompt received after a match (this is not issued by the Tribunal and is not official Tribunal correspondence).
  • Requesting ban removal, up to and including permanent bans.
  • Suggesting/Discussing improvements/changes to any Player Behavior Initiative (see the Player Behavior subsection of the main forums for this- these include the Tribunal, report options, mutes, chat restrictions, honor ribbons, etc).
  • Suggesting/Discussing champion, item, etc. improvements/changes.

As a general rule of thumb, if what you're thinking about posting doesn't fit into the "what this section is for" list, then you're most likely posting in the wrong section. A general rule of thumb about posting involving the Tribunal itself is to make the post in the Player Behavior section. This is because of the fact that this section is, by and large, run by the community and not so much Riot employees.

What Should My Post Contain?

With any email you receive about a Tribunal punishment (warning, ban, etc), you're given a link to your case. This is known as a reform card. When posting an inquiry, please make sure you have this link readily available. We then review your case, AND FROM OUR INDIVIDUAL PERSPECTIVE explain why the result might be what it is.

Some general things to keep in mind:
  • We do not vote to ban anyone. We do not know what your punishment will be. If you have received a ban, it is because you already received a warning.
  • We do not determine how long your ban is. The Tribunal votes to punish or pardon an individual. The ban is done in increments based on number of punishments already received.
  • At the time of this guide's posting, the punishments are: emailed warning -> 3 day ban -> 7 day ban -> 14 day ban -> permanent ban. All punishments are tied with an in-game chat restriction that decays based on number of queued games (custom don't count) you play.
  • If you received a permanent ban, Riot has already reviewed your case directly. While the Tribunal may have voted on it, it can not produce a permanent ban. Only a Riot employee can do that.
  • Tiers decay very slowly based on the number of games you play.
  • To prevent abusing the system, thresholds for all aspects of punishment and the Tribunal are unknown.
  • Don't take downvotes personally. Most people will downvote an offtopic thread or a thread with no real question (such as rage threads, threads with no reform card, threads with no question, etc) simply to get it locked quickly so trolls can't come and make a bad situation worse.
  • Some people have "smurf" accounts to assist with trolling. They may spam upvotes on their own posts or spam downvotes on your post. If you see a huge increase in downvotes and seem confused why, just ask. Most likely, it was just a troll annoyed that you didn't take their bait.
  • Definition of a"Smurf"- An account created by an already established user. These are typically made to level up with a friend who is brand new, or to relive the glory days. Most people have good intentions for their smurf account, but trolls/permabanned ragers will make them as well.
  • Bans are to the second from the time your email was sent. This means if you are banned at 11:59:59 PM for 3 days, your account will not be unbanned until 11:59:59 PM 3 days later.
  • Bans are based on Riot's timezone, which is PST/PDT (account for current daylight savings time setting).
  • Once a topic is locked, that means "end of discussion." Topics are locked either by a forum mod locking an obvious bait/flame/troll/rant topic or by receiving a specific number of downvotes. Many topics are downvote locked because a vast majority of people visiting the thread feel you have received enough information to move on. Constantly reposting the same reform card over and over could potentially lead to the suspension of your forum account. You have been warned.

With that being covered, we can now move into specific details about what to post and how to post.

What you should be posting:
  • Start each post with your reform card. Without the reform card, we can do very little to help you.
  • The tone of your post reflects on you as a person. Many of us have never met people posting here. If you post with tons of aggression, rage, angst, etc. it only helps to sway people to believe your punishment was justified.
  • Format your post so it's easy to read. Try to use full words when able. Be clear and concise. A giant 800 word one paragraph wall with tons of mispelled words and grammar issues will typically go unread. It's very difficult to help you with something we can't read or understand.
  • Make your point known. If you see a game where you know you did wrong, but you then see one (or multiple) that you're unsure on, ask about those games specifically. We're usually pretty good at spotting things that would generally go overlooked.
  • When replying back to individuals who have made a reply, remember we're trying to help. We're not trying to call you "a baddie," insult you, belittle you, etc. We're telling you what we see from our perspective. Replying by calling us names, accusing us of things, etc. will only reduce the amount of help you receive from future posters. We take our personal time to help you reform and better yourself. Contrary to popular belief, we DO NOT LIKE IT when people keep coming back. If you see someone you know is intentionally trolling or flaming your post, downvote them. If it's excessive or incredibly insulting, submit a ticket to Riot's support team (click the button that says support in the top right) with a link to the thread and the reason you're reporting it.

However, there are a lot of threads here that seem to miss the point of why they were even reported to begin with. This next list is aimed to show you standard replies and misconceptions about reporting, punishments, and the Tribunal in general.

Falsehoods and Misconceptions Debunked!:
  • The Tribunal is not full of "punish happy spammers." Given that the Tribunal does not have a 100% punish rate, this means that cases DO get pardoned. However, most people who are punished are typically done so correctly. For every 1 person that spams "punish," another 99 actually looked at the case.
  • False punishes DO happen. As do false pardons. If you feel you were unjustly punished, you can submit a ticket to Riot support with the case and explain why you think it was a false ban. They can then review your account history and remove the ban if it was truly a false punish.
  • There is never a reason for you to be negative or insult someone. It doesn't matter if you have 3 people leave your match. It doesn't matter if Teemo is 1/9001 in a 5 minute game. It doesn't matter if xyz champ did abc bad idea. It also doesn't matter if someone is insulting you for an entire match. YOU are responsible for YOUR behavior.
  • No one is targetting you, singling you out, or specifically aiming to cause you harm. When we review cases, we don't know who we're seeing in a match. We don't get to see "BillyBob13" or "PlayerName89." We see "Riven" or "Zac." Therefore, it's impossible for anyone to be bias against you.
  • The Tribunal is not broken. It works as intended. As stated, sometimes it produces an error where someone was punished who should have been pardoned. Sometimes someone who was pardoned should have been punished. The system is not flawless. No system is. It does, however, do what it is intended to do. Since you play with other people, it only makes sense that your peers be the ones to decide if you're breaking the rules or not.
  • There is ZERO incentive to do the Tribunal outside of making the community a better place. Tribunal judges use their personal time to improve our community. We do not receive RP, IP, LP, Ribbons, Skins, Champions, Rune Pages, Summoner Icons, etc. for doing the Tribunal. Yes, the website for it still says you earn IP. When this was true (hasn't been since Fall 2012), individuals received 5 IP per case IF AND ONLY IF they guessed the outcome correctly. This caused people to vote on cases based on what they thought others would vote, not on what the case actually should have done. Even assuming you had 100% accuracy, 3-5 hours would be spent to earn 100 IP. You could easily earn double that or more by playing the game for that amount of time.
  • "IT WAS A RANKED MATCH! RANKED IS DIFFERENT FROM NORMALS!" isn't true. We don't see if a match was ranked or not. We treat ranked matches the same as normal matches. Yes, many judges apply a little extra fluff for ranked matches (the only way we could guess it was is based on commentary) because they are, by most standards, more intense than normal matches. HOWEVER, this does not mean that you have more of a right to be a jerk because your match went badly.
  • "<Insert name of Tribunal judge>! You're only <insert level or ranked rating>! You don't know anything about the game!" is not true. Many individuals here use alternate accounts/smurf accounts becasue we enjoy privacy on our main accounts. Just because the website you checked says we're x level or y league rating doesn't mean we have no idea what we're talking about. It means we enjoy our privacy.
  • "Game(s) <insert game number(s)> I didn't do anything wrong in! I shouldn't be punished!" is an untrue statement. Most judges look at the overall picture. However, you only need to be guilty in one match presented for a "punish" verdict to be valid. That being said, judges often won't vote punish if you have just one bad game presented (this depends on what exactly happened and how many games are presented, though. Racism, sexism, and homophobic commentary are incredibly frowned upon here and are an instant punish for most judges).
  • "Did you see what <insert champion name> said/did/etc? He should be banned! I just defended myself!" falls under the previously mentioned issue of "YOU are responsible for YOUR actions." Consider the old saying "two wrongs do not make a right." Also, being a jerk back to a jerk tends to only get yourself reported by them. Most trolls/toxic players know the rules better than the average player does.
  • "The Tribunal bans for anything! I played <unexpected pick that normally doesn't go in the following role> <role> and got banned for this!" Wrong. In over a year of doing the Tribunal, I have never once seen someone get banned for not playing the meta. Nor has anyone else. Usually what you reported for is intentionally feeding, refusing to communicate, or similar things. The Tribunal does NOT enforce the meta.
  • "I spent <insert amount and type of currency> on this game! As a paying customer, I have more rights than people who don't pay! Unban me now!" Wrong. By spending real money on Riot Points (hereafter referred to as RP), you are giving yourself earlier access to things you would normally spend time collecting. Aside from skins and IP/EXP boosters, everything you can buy with RP can be gotten with the standard points earned from playing. Rich people do not get any special treatment here.
  • "I called <insert champion or role> and then someone else picked it anyway! I was allowed to be mad at them!" Mad at? Sure. But you're not allowed to be a jerk to another player, regardless of the circumstances. Sometimes people troll to get a rise out of you. By fighting against a troll, you not only give them what they were hoping for but they then turn around and report you. The only way to beat a troll is to starve it by ignoring it.
  • "I'm here because of false reports! The Tribunal is so broken and unfair!" False reports are accounted for in the Tribunal threshold. They're typically removed. As judges, we're also able to tell the difference between a real and false report. When you post, feel free to include which game you feel is a false report and why. But remember that you only need to be toxic in one game for a vote of "punish" to be valid, so your punish verdict might still stand from other games presented.
  • "Players of <insert league rating> are the worst players ever! Just because I'm stuck in <insert league rating> because of troll teams doesn't mean I should have to listen to them! I'm better than them! They should be reported simply for being <insert league rating>!" Wrong. Regardless of league rating, all players agree to the Summoner's Code. You are required to re-accept this with every major patch. Clicking "decline" on any of the pop-ups on the patcher immediately closes the patcher without access to the game. By clicking "accept" you agree to abide by the rules Riot has set as well as the Summoner's Code. There's never an excuse to be negative or a jerk to your team.

The last section is for what you can do once you've collected information from your thread. Keep in mind that we're here to help. Trolls do exist, sadly. Ignore them. Look for people who commonly post in threads that show constructive feedback. Those are people you should focus your attention towards. As judges, we have differing opinions on what we think.

I've collected my data! Now what?:
  • If the individuals here agree your case should have been pardoned, it is advised you submit a ticket to Riot. Riot may not unturn your ban. This is because they have access to more information than we do (entire account histories, pre/post game chat, etc). However, contacting them is the only way to get a ban lifted.
  • Take the information given and apply it. Many TBI forum regulars add suggestions to help you. Consider using these.
  • Remember that the purpose of the game is to have fun. It is a game, afterall. Not everyone is here to be the next Dyrus or xPeke. A lot of people play League casually and aren't that engrossed in things such as rankings.
  • Use your own best judgment in the future. Think of what you're about to say to someone. Then pretend someone is saying it to you. If your first reaction would be "what a jerk..." you probably shouldn't say it. You can safely assume the other person might feel the same way.
  • Remember that mutes and reports are tools used to help in indentifying toxic players and behaviors. They are not weapons, nor are they intended to be abused in such a manner. Muting everyone on your team simply because you don't want to listen to them helps nothing. Spamming reports against your team for playing bad or against the enemy team for playing well helps nothing, either.
  • Should you find a need to mute and/or report someone, do it after a match. Don't tell them they're being muted. Don't beg people to report them. All this does is incite more negative behavior. Just do what you need to do post match and move on.

As new things are presented, I'll continue to update this thread. Hopefully this will assist you with your experience on the TBI forums. That being said, us here at the Tribunal Ban Inquiry forums await your post so we may assist you in becoming a better player (and possibly even a better person overall)!

Dreyvan

08-03-2013

Next Project: Defining the "regulars" of the TBI forums, known mostly for giving good advice and being helpful with reform cards.

The Regulars:

Shelzin
meadow
*more coming soon. trying to read the 10 page clusterfail Jazzy left in my thread. >:\*

Jhregh

08-03-2013

I think you should also mention that some regulars are on smurfs and shouldn't be judged on their division/games played.

Dreyvan

08-03-2013

Quote:
Jhregh:
I think you should also mention that some regulars are on smurfs and shouldn't be judged on their division/games played.

Good point. I'll add that in now. Thanks.

Edit: Added in under falsehoods and misconceptions.

RockLobster88

08-03-2013

Can we get this stickied? Por favor?

Prandine

08-03-2013

Great thread. It should definitely help allot more people out in the future who may come here and not know what to do or what to look out for.

P.S. The if and only if section doesn't show it as bolded on my screen but rather as "[B]IF AND ONLY IF[B]". You might want to consider correcting that soon if you can do so just for future references.

P.S.S. You might also want to mention that some of the trolls will use smurf accounts to try to make it seem like they're having more people agree with their point of view when in reality it's just them trying to justify their foul behavior even more. Maybe also mention what smurf accounts are as well for people who may not know what they are.

Dreyvan

08-03-2013

Quote:
Prandine:
Great thread. It should definitely help allot more people out in the future who may come here and not know what to do or what to look out for.

P.S. The if and only if section doesn't show it as bolded on my screen but rather as "[B]IF AND ONLY IF[B]". You might want to consider correcting that soon if you can do so just for future references.

P.S.S. You might also want to mention that some of the trolls will use smurf accounts to try to make it seem like they're having more people agree with their point of view when in reality it's just them trying to justify their foul behavior even more. Maybe also mention what smurf accounts are as well for people who may not know what they are.

Issue fixed (it accidently deleted the / when I did a correction. Thanks for catching ), and notations about downvoting, troll smurfs, and smurf definition added (placed in general things list).

Enterti

08-03-2013

Nice guide, hopefully new posters actually read it.

Dreyvan

08-03-2013

Quote:
Enterti:
Nice guide, hopefully new posters actually read it.

Thanks for the input.

I also made some more updates to the "falsehoods and misconceptions" area to include more common defenses people use.

Aylywyn

08-03-2013

Great guide!

I'd be curious to see what response it would get in GD, same title and text.

It couldn't hurt... well, much, GD is an "odd" place :-).