I'm scared to leave my ADC alone for 3 seconds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koi Nami Only

08-02-2013

K so it's seriously to the point I'm scared to leave my ADC alone for more then 3 seconds most of the time. I hope this doesn't come off as a "I'm better then my team" thing (I sure as hell am not xD) but I when I have 1-1.4k and I really wanna get wards up again as mine are running out, I tell my ADC I'm going to B because I need more wards. I ping and tell them to play safe but a good bit of them still end up just dying. When I b, I do it out of range as it'll give at least a few seconds of presence in the lane (I might be in a bush. Who knows? ofc if it isn't warded) but right after they figure it out..."An ally has been slain".

Should I just wait until our wave is frozen right before the turret to back out? Or perhaps I need to back out sooner when time permits before the ward runs out. I admit I have the "I HAVE to save you" complex that draws me to my own death sometimes, but I'm almost terrified of leaving my ADC/team alone without my ult or heals T_T.

What can I do to lessen the worrying? I guess in a good way, it got me to play unlocked camera now and thanks to Nami's insane range I can save people or at least in the rare case, secure a kill or initiate by catching a few people out of position. But I don't know if it's normal to have to worry about not if, but WHEN your team will die without you x.x

Disclaimer: I'm not pro or even good. Also there are a good bit of games on the inverse of this where they know what they're doing. But for me to improve, I feel I have to learn how to deal with the Bad and the Ugly, not just the Good. This also assumes that I'm doing decent enough in aforementioned case and do my job to the best of my current ability under any given circumstance.

Harukii

08-02-2013

As a support you shouldn't be leaving your lane frequently to buy wards early game (Levels 1 - 6) as you'll fall behind in exp. The best approach would be to help your adc push the lane up to the enemy turret and both of you back to buy wards. Or, if the enemy is pushed to your turret quickly back to buy wards. Other than that, you just need to tell your ADC to play safe while you go shop, since they're at a 1 v 2 disadvantage. (Shouldn't people already know to do that though?)

lildrummerdrew

08-02-2013

Get teleport. Only recall when teleport is up. Then you also have an excuse to build homeguard boots!

Overlord Heian

08-02-2013

You can only do whatever you can, you cannot make the ADC play smart. Personally I try to go back early when I support, so I can get a GP5 item early and bump up my sustain, and stock up on wards.

The best time to go back is after you've pushed the lane - the very best is if their ADC has been killed/ganked, at which point you should push the lane hard enough to put your minion wave into their turret. At that point, you can either attack the turret or recall - attacking can be risky, especially if you're low on resources (and killing an enemy turret early is nice, but that same turret was also killing your minions, which helps reduce their ADC's farm) and recalling can ensure you're well-prepared to start applying pressure right away when you return.

Aamon2500

08-02-2013

I only b when my adc does so as well. I don't feel like leaving them alone in lane for any amount of time. Sometimes i get good ADCs sometimes i don't a good Adc i can leave in lane a bad one never. What can you do? Either risk leaving the lane or stay in lane until the adc decides to go b.

Nyancatdubstep

08-02-2013

One of the best ways to stop worrying so much is to better your understanding of "When is the best time to B back?" Every supp is different on when they should B back but they aren't significantly different.

One of the best ways to know its safe to B back is whenever you have pushed the opposing ADC and Supp under their turret and you have a big minion wave smacking their turret. This is a good sign that they will be sitting back and trying to CS and recover from your HUGE minion wave push you made giving you enough time to B back and pick up your items and return to lane before they even get remotely close to your turret. Deciding on whether or not if it's safe for you to B back will (Most of the time) be decided on "Where is the minion wave front at?".

Another good time to B back is if you have a huge chunk of gold and you have ran out of wards to ward river and Tri bush at bot. Just think of it this way: Would you rather stay in lane with your ADC with a considerable amount of gold on you without anymore wards to keep vision on River and Tri bush while the opposing Jungler is MIA and no one has seem him in lane for a long time and risk dying because you didn't have vision? Or would you rather say "Hey ADC, I need you to be care for a second while I go back and get more wards to keep us safe."

There are also going to be some situations you are in where you might be pushed under your turret and have zero vision of bot Tri or River and the Jungler is MIA but that's when you need to understand that you are being harassed under your turret and you are going to need to stay there and stick it out with your ADC while the opposing ADC and Supp are sitting there whacking your turret, because AS SOON as you leave they will dive your ADC if they think they can. So understanding what the opposing ADC and Supp are capable of really REALLY helps you know when its safe to leave your ADC.

You should always try and keep track of what the opposing laners have also, try and remember "Do they have their Ultimates up? Does the Opposing ADC have ignite or flash (Both are extremely important)? How many health / Mana pots does the opposing ADC / Support have and what kind of support does he have? Is it a Sona or Nami (Two meta supports that have a heal)?" A perfect example would be this: You are sitting in bot lane with your ADC and you have pushed your Opposing ADC and Supp under their turret and you and your ADC are sitting at a healthy 90% health, and your river and Tri Bush wards will soon be disappearing and you have enough gold to B back and pick up a Blue Sightstone and maybe a pink on the side. Go for the B man! That's a green light that it is EXTREMELY safe to B back. Just give your ADC the signal to be care and start B'ing back.

Another example / scenario: You and your ADC are chilling bot lane and your ADC has poked the opposing ADC down to low health and he has no remaining health pots and his Support isn't a healing champion. Tell your ADC to be safe whilst you B back for some more wards and items.

I know this is a long kinda small "Mini Guide" of "When to know to B back as Supp." But I hope it really helped and I hope that you continue to play the mighty role of support!! Add me ingame if you have anymore questions and I will be happy to help you out! I main support, so helping people is what I do.

Koi Nami Only

08-02-2013

Thanks!

Usually I don't b often unless it just isn't safe to stay at my turret and I know something like TF's ult is up or their mid is roaming down bot. If we shove the enemy to the turret, I try to make sure they've at least b'd because as mentioned, there's the risk of having a sustain type support just heal up the ADC. I typically tend to stay in lane maybe *too* long at times due to varying circumstances like non-stop ganks (been a lot of 4 man ganks bot lane lately =/). When the storm finally blows over and I say something like "let's shove this then go b" my ADC decides to stay even with low health. I admit I need to do better at remembering the times their summoners will be up but I usually call things like "flash and heal summoners down. no barrier on vayne" or ping a ward and say "they dropped a pink here *pings* down at 753. not safe to counter ward yet" letting both my ADC and jungler know it's not safe to gank from the river side and it's not safe to play too far out. However, I think when I go to ward, I sometimes make it too obvious my presence has just left the lane. I def need to work on that now that I'm reading these suggestions.

But def thanks to Nyan. Most of these points I follow pretty much but I also need to know what certain duos are capable of. Yesterday I played with a friend (she Cait and me as Nami) vs Leona and Tristana. Unfortunatly I died once due to bad positioning (I honestly didn't know they'd 100-0 me THAT fast lol. Leona's passive op D= ) but after that, we just froze the lane and actually out farmed bot lane while only giving up the 1 death.

Nyancatdubstep

08-02-2013

A very very very good way to better your understanding of what certain bottom lane comps can do is to watch the NA LCS's and Korean OGN games on Twitch.tv. The NA LCS is actually on right now at http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames . Another good place to check out would be http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...&league=ranked . Add me ingame sometime and we can play some games or something. Hope this helps

xSeCKSx

08-02-2013

When you go back, try to do it in an area the enemy has no vision - say minions are pushed down behind turret works then for example. If you go back in a bush that's probably warded, you've basically let the team no the adc is vulnerable.

One thing I had trouble with as a support is knowing when to let your adc die. I'm an adc main mind you. A number of games I would eat deaths to save or at least try to save the adc. I may have kept the adc alive, but the adc kept making the same mistakes and the enemy adc got fed anyway.

If an adc gets caught, it's not the support's vault, no matter how often the adc may claim it is. It's the adc's responsibility to have solid map awareness and positioning, knowing when to farm and when to be safe, etc.

Koi Nami Only

08-02-2013

Yea...lately idk. It feels like I know the basics of supporting but when I play vs these higher elo guys, we just sit at turret bot lane and I can't safely go out and pink the wards. Also, I'm on the fence now about my dying since you brought that up. I don't feel it's a good trade to try to help my adc when I have almost no health and no mana left for a *possible* shot at picking up one kill, while the enemy adc may score a kill in exchange making it 1:1 then having the support no doubt pick up a second kill for a 2:1 trade. Sigh.