Why i don't play Support in Solo Q

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Desperate Izzy

08-01-2013

First of all i'm not here to discourage people to not play Support (by all means please do so). I'm here to channel out my anger and frustration on why i can't and shouldn't play Support in solo q anymore. In solo q i've been the "nice guy." You know, the guy that calls "fill." Anyways i'm a nice person. I really do try to make my teammates comfortable with their roles and such to get the best results; however, every time i do so i lose. Now the reason is not because i'm a bad Support. I Support really well and cover lots of key areas with wards. The problem always arises in mid-late game. As a Support your job is to carry the ADC so he/she can carry you later on. Your job as a Support is to also ward key areas and objectives. The only bad part about being a Support is that you're not FED. Let me repeat that, YOU ARE NOT FED. In other words no one wants to listen to you because YOU ARE NOT FED. When i play ADC i get FED. When i play ADC everyone seems to listen to my shot calling and pings. The exact opposite occurs when i play Support. In Fact when i play Support everyone seems to look down on me and my shot calling. I main Jungle for my team. I am also the shot caller. In solo q, i can't shot call as Support because no one wants to listen to the Support, everyone seems to follow the fed Darius running about the jungle chasing down the 1/16 of health Teemo or Shaco instead of taking objectives. I tell myself each time i click PLAY that maybe i can trust the next batch of people. They seem nice enough to not Troll and or Feed. And of course each time i do so, i lose. I will admit sometimes i do win (rarely). For the majority of the time however i end up losing. I have a much better chance of winning if i play Jungle, ADC, or Mid. PS: sorry for the long post. It's something that's always in my head.

Doomster

08-01-2013

I main support in ranked and even I would never play support in bronze. Support relies on competent team mates. They don't have to be amazing, but all a support can do is keep a bad player even or make an average player look great. They cannot win a game if that teammate competence is not there.

Desperate Izzy

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomster01 View Post
I main support in ranked and even I would never play support in bronze. Support relies on competent team mates. They don't have to be amazing, but all a support can do is keep a bad player even or make an average player look great. They cannot win a game if that teammate competence is not there.
exactly...that's why i hate it in low elo lol :/

Voyles

08-01-2013

I agree. Most people do not respect Supports. I also find it irritating that in late game and you are helping someone in one lane, people complain you haven't warded the opposite side of the map of where you are at, like it's only your responsibility to ward. To some people, it seems like the term "Support" means you're my slave and do what I say.

googlemuffin

08-01-2013

finally a group of people who understand and feel the same way. I main supports because I feel I am a great support. I have about a 60% win rate with leona, lulu, nami, and soraka but during that other 40% I cannot stand the people I am teamed with. When I play Leona i usually get teammates who yell at me to ward more (because sightstone and 3 wards just is never enough in one go and for them to buy one ward is too much gold) but then as I ward I get yelled at for not initiating the fights that they get caught in. People, especially the NA server, need to respect supports and understand what it is they are there for.

Desperate Izzy

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlemuffin View Post
finally a group of people who understand and feel the same way. I main supports because I feel I am a great support. I have about a 60% win rate with leona, lulu, nami, and soraka but during that other 40% I cannot stand the people I am teamed with. When I play Leona i usually get teammates who yell at me to ward more (because sightstone and 3 wards just is never enough in one go and for them to buy one ward is too much gold) but then as I ward I get yelled at for not initiating the fights that they get caught in. People, especially the NA server, need to respect supports and understand what it is they are there for.
sounds like the typical idiots i get paired up with. even when i play adc i tend to buy at least 2 wards upon recall to help out.

SeCKS Egai

08-01-2013

I'm an adc main, but I am actually more likely to win as a support. Why? Because as an adc main, I'm familiar with the match ups and the issues that come up. The roughest aspect of bot lane is the adc and support getting in sync with each other.

Of course, it also helps that I go above and beyond as far as warding goes. I know my teammates are rarely to the point of warding regularly.

Desperate Izzy

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeCKSx View Post
I'm an adc main, but I am actually more likely to win as a support. Why? Because as an adc main, I'm familiar with the match ups and the issues that come up. The roughest aspect of bot lane is the adc and support getting in sync with each other.

Of course, it also helps that I go above and beyond as far as warding goes. I know my teammates are rarely to the point of warding regularly.
my problem is not helping my ADC get fed, it's people not listening to my shot calling because i'm support mid-late game. i get them fed and in return i don't get credited for and am looked down upon when i call the shots.

SeCKS Egai

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Izzy View Post
my problem is not helping my ADC get fed, it's people not listening to my shot calling because i'm support mid-late game. i get them fed and in return i don't get credited for and am looked down upon when i call the shots.
I don't expect people to listen since half the time when someone tries to call shots they come off sounding pompous (intentionally or not). I prefer to go off pings and reading teammates behavior. My best games usually play out with teammates hardly saying a thing to each other.

Supports have a thankless job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N5y...20X7hs7Wqi05aA

I go into the role not expecting any appreciation no matter how well I perform.

greggoeT

08-01-2013

FINALLY someone who gets it. When I started filling, I went down to Bronze 5 because of incompetent teammates. I don't care how fed Ahri is, I don't want her chasing without wards into the enemy jungle chasing Kennen. I do not want my adc to walk into a 2v2 in lane when he's behind on farm and two levels down, expecting me to magically make us win the trade. I do not want my Singed to push hard on his lane, get camped, and then not buy wards.

When I play adc or mid, people listen to my calls. When I supp, people say that they're more fed than I am so they should call the shots. News flash: No **** you're more fed than the supp. Congratu****inglations, now please play smart and stop throwing my seventhousandth provisional.