LoLCamera : A new way to play!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penteano

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushSecond View Post
Hello everyone, I am from the future! Riot Spl3en sent me to tell you all that it's okay! His camera will be built into the game... soon... ish.
Congrats man!!!

tuxedobob

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Sargonas View Post
Hey all! Sorry for jumping in on this thread so late!

First off, I wanted to say this app, as it is, is pretty slick. Some great development work on it. That being said, sadly it is not compliant with our policy. As others stated above, the core expectation is that nothing can interfere with the players experience from Play to end of game, and this unfortunately does just that. While we can appreciate the work you've put into this, it is sadly not something we can condone, and I have to officially advise players to avoid using it at this time.

If you want to work on other great stuff for League however, I'd be more than happy to chat with you more over on the developer forums at developer.riotgames.com about ideas you might have, and how to make them fit in with our philosophies. You definitely know your stuff, and I'd love to see that skill channeled into something players can use!
Why don't you either hire him or buy his work? This should be an option in the game already.

Xyltin

05-12-2014

Quote:

First off, I wanted to say this app, as it is, is pretty slick. Some great development work on it. That being said, sadly it is not compliant with our policy. As others stated above, the core expectation is that nothing can interfere with the players experience from Play to end of game, and this unfortunately does just that. While we can appreciate the work you've put into this, it is sadly not something we can condone, and I have to officially advise players to avoid using it at this time.

If you want to work on other great stuff for League however, I'd be more than happy to chat with you more over on the developer forums at developer.riotgames.com about ideas you might have, and how to make them fit in with our philosophies. You definitely know your stuff, and I'd love to see that skill channeled into something players can use!
How about making such a camera for players then?
I know a lot of people that would like to have more camera options than these 2.

I have no problem when Riot forbids such things, but when they make sense in the game, they should implement such a feature.

Baking A Pie

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spl3en View Post
Hello Sargonas,

I have removed all the download links I have found in order to prevent people using an officially forbidden app.
You still have the sourceforge DL linked in your Twitter Profile, just an FYI. ^.^

Xialoh

05-12-2014

Quote:

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to consider that maybe your sudden policy change is rather drastic. I'm not holding my breath on it being reverted, but really, it was rather uncalled for in response to timers that Riot's very own dev team expressed not only approval of, but interest in official implementation of only like a week prior to this change.

And now the already tiny modding community is pretty much screwed because of a blanket policy that outlaws just about everything - just to be safe, I'm sure.

SquishyArchon

05-12-2014

Quote:

aka

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g...w0c4o1_500.gif

Kchaosrei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2014

Why do people think that this is a must? Cause it makes things easier? That is called taking the skill out of the game. This is a skill based game, demanding that features be added so less than 10,000 users can continue to not learn does not seem like a path riot should be heading to. Anything that adds or removes stuff from competitive games should always be illegal.

That said props to the creator for being open about the fact that it was never confirmed by riot. Also for not arguing about the policy. Your pretty stand up guy. From what i understand you made a good product even if it was not allowed.

Kuronok2

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchaosrei View Post
Why do people think that this is a must? Cause it makes things easier? That is called taking the skill out of the game. This is a skill based game, demanding that features be added so less than 10,000 users can continue to not learn does not seem like a path riot should be heading to. Anything that adds or removes stuff from competitive games should always be illegal.

That said props to the creator for being open about the fact that it was never confirmed by riot. Also for not arguing about the policy. Your pretty stand up guy. From what i understand you made a good product even if it was not allowed.

You sir are an idiot. It's not about making things easier, it's just about preferences. You like the free cam? Ok, but it doesn't make you a better player just because you like it. The free cam offers advantage over the locked cam and it shouldn't be the case. We are all playing a game and the game has more than one way to play it so why i HAVE to play it the same way you or some other players say it's better? If there are 2 different cams i should be able to choose the one i like the most without any drawbacks, but the locked cam has some drawbacks and set you back for using it.

Another cam that is a mix between the locked and the free cam would be great, but Riot just doesn't care enough.
And if you doesn't care as well, why bother coming give your opinion? You have your preferred cam and don't want to change it, so you are just being ass by posting here.

Sakuya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2014

Hm. I'm okay with this software, but I can see why Riot would disallow it, considering its current TOU changes. Wouldn't be a great idea to let loose ends hang around.

However, I honestly think that something like this would actually be extremely beneficial to observers rather than players. I do always play with camera unlocked (habits carrying over from other strategy games), so I'm probably biased, but I don't think this helps players nearly as much as it would help observers.

For those who might not be aware, in many esports matches, especially in Korea, the front line production (what you see and hear) is usually the players playing the game, the casters commentating over it, and the observer(s) managing the in-game camera and showing the audience all the subtleties. The players are the ones doing, the casters are what you hear, and the observers control what the audience sees.
Obligatory weird analogy: If a pro league match was a rock concert, the players would be the guitars, the casters would be the singers, and the observer would be the bass.

League of Legends actually has one of the smoothest workable cameras in spectator mode, even if not as functional (no native rotation function qq). I think anything that could help add to that functionality could be a great boon to League as a spectator sport.

CyanideInsanity

05-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchaosrei View Post

Its not about skill, at least for me and seems for plenty of others too, but preference AND efficiency. I don't have the mindset of "I can't manage unlocked so I'm going to make it easy" but rather I see it as an inefficient control scheme. Aside from that you actually still HAVE to manage the camera using this tool.