Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegee7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
"I'd flip the golem camp so that the two golems face the other direction" -Weegee7

As a Nunu player I love the idea because I think it would make it really easy to steal blue. What were the advantages that you were seeing to this change.

I actually meant the other golem camp for this part of my post. This is more of a gameplay suggestion to help junglers get around the map while farming golems more often. Also, it hurts laners (by laners I mean blue side bot lane) by making golems less accessible. I heard map layout changes were being done for Season 4, I'd like this to be part of them.

Are there any severe drawbacks to doing this?
If you want to be in position to gank lane and not go through tri brush this makes your travel longer.

Brainsick Hater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2013

What I really LOVE about TT, HA, and CS is that machines are turning, creatures are scampering, and the whole map is really just alive. On SR almost nothing is moving. The map is dead. Functionally, the map is excellent. Routes through the jungle are clear and discernible, the proportions are stellar, all information about the map is telegraphed clearly, but the map just feels dead.

Things to make it feel alive, breathe, have depth:

Faeries, pixies, or fireflies flitting around the jungle

Water might ripple or flow (understand this is graphic intensive, but perhaps can be disable at lower settings?)

Jungle camps maybe have different ground texture, some stone pillars denoting an entrance at golems, bones around wolves, dark runes near wraiths, etc.

Lanes can be more than just grass. They could be dirt roads with ruts and small paths trailing off into the jungle.

Clear sign of increase in civilization near bases, more wilderness near river. Houses maybe not randomly in the jungle, but near the walls of a base. Plus terrain could lose the grass and be cobblestone.

Different, more varied trees? Maybe overgrown statues or buildlings? Just something to break up the monotony of impassible terrain.

River should connect across/under/through mid lane, it just doesn't feel like a river otherwise.

There's just so much that could happen. I think the general theme should be the bases are kind of small cities or villages that are hesitantly reaching out into a dense, lush, and superbly magical forest. Lanterns and torches interspersed throughout jungle, maybe a hermit dwelling by the river. But the jungle should really feel thick and scary. When I walk into the jungle, I want to feel like I just traveled off a tentatively beaten path into the scary forest kids are told not to wander into at night.

Squidd

07-31-2013

Also, I feel like there is a lot of unused space in both bases. Here is an excellent opportunity to add more architecture to give each side a more defining theme.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgnextortex View Post
The overall ""Fairy Tale styled forest" feel of the map
Some people who are new to LOL dont know about this but this is one of the aspects that makes LOL unique.
Every other moba's 5v5 map is dark-creepy themmed while SR is a forest full of flowers bushes and such...while some people think this doesnt suit the genre I think its part of the magic of SR, and it would be a shame to lost it in a VU.
I agree with this. The feel of League of Legends' world is best summed up as a grim fairy tale. Or in the words of TF2's Demoman: "I'm a grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end!" I'd really like to see the dark fairytale theme be kept for Summoner's Rift.

Rhykes

07-31-2013

Quote:
Wow, there is so much amazing feedback here. I have read it all, and when I get the chance, I am going to respond to as many of the key points as is possible.
Firstly, if SR was ever to be touched up, could you do something about that horrible track that can barely pass as background music? Twisted Treeline music is haunting, Howling Abyss music is jawdropping, and even Crystal Scar doesn't make me want to gouge my ears out.

But Summoner's Rift? The music alone is enough to make me hate that map, even if it is my favorite game type. I'd rather put up with outdated aesthetics of the SR Winter variant if it means I could have a decent tune.

Please give some peace of mind that we could hear different background music in SR at some point.

Since that is out of the way, now for the rest of my thoughts!

Night

Truthfully, I thought SR was already a "night" map. The few torches you find throughout do quite a bit to illuminate their surroundings, but that may just be because the trees are intended to be much larger than they actually are for gameplay reasons.

That being said, I think it wouldn't be a problem if the lighting was toned down and more torches, lanterns, or whatever else helped give the place light. Of course artificial lighting sources work just fine too. I'm sure a few colored lights would only add to the mood, not take away from it. Perhaps a red glow in Baron Pit? Blue/Purple (or red) glows around Turrets and objectives?

Dynamic Environment
This has been brought up several times before, but has it been considered for the "destructible" details in maps to include other, smaller changes that is not necessarily something crumbling? For example, a giant turret suddenly exploding is probably not the friendliest thing for the nearby environment. What if it set a nearby patch of trees on fire? No gameplay change, but now you have patches of burning forest. Spreading is an option.

Is it possible to change the ground texture, or add permanent overlays to destroyed objectives as well? Again using the destroyed turret as an example, perhaps some of the debris dug into the dirt around it, so you have an outward explosion appearance with charred ground. That might not have made the most sense, but I think you might get the point.

Other Adjustments

I can probably go on for a while for other various improvements, but really SR has a lot of space to work with, and a lot of potential for noteworthy landmarks and variations to make the two sides visually asymmetrical without affecting gameplay.

exec3

07-31-2013

Ever thoughts about in the jungle having trees/structures etc hang over the paths? They would go transparent when your champion actually walks underneath them so you don't lose track of them but it could be cool.

DawnPaladin

07-31-2013

Make the jungle more jungley!

Right now the jungle is full of pine trees and pretty flowers. What if we made it darker, more overgrown, more threatening?

Sight lines are pretty short in the jungle. Making it more overgrown would give it more contrast with the lanes and reinforce the feeling that any corner, any bush, might hold an enemy jungler ready to pop out and smack you in the face.

Kuro Shinjitsu

07-31-2013

It would be cool to see a upper terran, so that there is an upper and lower parts of the map. Champs that have skills with jumping and dashing could move to the lower terran from the upper. Same as going through the walls as they are now. Also having some destructibility to the map would be pretty cool, and or even having parts be destroyed that cut off access from a lane for a certain time period.

Linaeus

07-31-2013

Quote:
"I'd flip the golem camp so that the two golems face the other direction" -Weegee7

As a Nunu player I love the idea because I think it would make it really easy to steal blue. What were the advantages that you were seeing to this change.
I don't know if this has been stated, but blue side still has golem advantage bottom lane. They don't start out with it anymore, but when purple has a way to freeze lane, blue side can take golems and get back to lane quickly without much time wasted, while purple has to go around a few obstacles to get to wolves. It's the same with purple side top lane. There is such a small amount of time wasted doing these camps on each side and the advantage adds up quickly. If the golems were on the other side, at least a few more seconds would be wasted to gain this advantage.

batliff

08-01-2013

I would love to see destructible environments, night and day cycles that are noticeable and weather effects like rain, snow and dust storms. Hazardous environments would be cool. And things on the map that act randomly that can push, root and knock up your champ in a non predictable manner. All of which impact game play in some form or another. Like dust storms could limit your view distance as would night. Snow could cause your champ to slide a bit. Lightning that would randomly reveal the fog of war in some parts of the map. Or acid rain that randomly leaves puddles on the ground that could damage you if walked on for a set amount of time. Some examples.

Would be cool if summoners rift had 3 stages(i.e. innings) to it. First stage kept as it is now.

Second stage, rebuild phase. Were the team has a time limit to rebuild/upgrade turrets and rift, with a gold awarded for each new structure built and a bonus for the losing team of the first stage when they rebuild there rift to help close the gold gap and keep the game interesting. This would be determined by how large the gap is between the 2 teams. Also multiple baron type monsters spawn all over the map with no minion waves. Which can be fought over or killed for gold/xp for the third and final stage.

Third stage just like the first stage but super minions spawn, turrets hit way harder and and are tougher to take down. The environment changed with hazardous areas if walked on or get knocked into.

If the LCS ever makes it to T.V. this map style could fill a 2-3 hour time slot. With breaks between stages of the games for commercials. Or half time talks and what not.

This would change itemization to another tier and maybe raise the level cap just to keep the progression of your champ.

Maybe more options in custom games. Options like all kills grant global gold and experience. Turrets kill in one shot. The ability to bypass turrets instead of killing them linearly. Minions are tougher. To name a few.