Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

V4cant

06-26-2014

The artists at Riot are pretty phenominal. Love how this game has continued to be heavily supported and updated. These guys are doing it right. Love it.

Frightened Toast

09-07-2014

Ya

Devoidzylon

09-18-2014

It's really great to have the new artwork. But the map just looks too empty and mechanical. The lanes and bases would look better is minor decoration work like pebbles, leaves and twigs were scattered around. The walls bordering the lanes could also have breakages in between with vines or overgrown trees creeping out of the spaces. The map still maintains the frivolous feel of the previous map which is just great as that particular aspect sets LOL apart from other MOBA

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

09-24-2014

Quote:
Devoidzylon:
It's really great to have the new artwork. But the map just looks too empty and mechanical. The lanes and bases would look better is minor decoration work like pebbles, leaves and twigs were scattered around. The walls bordering the lanes could also have breakages in between with vines or overgrown trees creeping out of the spaces. The map still maintains the frivolous feel of the previous map which is just great as that particular aspect sets LOL apart from other MOBA

Great Feedback, we are doing this exact type of thing right now and is going to be a continued effort. Thanks.

RiotForScience

09-24-2014

Quote:
SoLunAether:
I also posted this in the map design feedback thread, but this response may be more suited here.

After watching the VoD of the new map, I think it really looks great! There's only one major critique I have for it, and I haven't the time to search through all 57 pages to see if anyone else has said it. In my opinion, the wall going into the red base is too indistinguishable from the floor of the base. Look when they're sieging at 30:44 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--pQkmm80so#t=1844). At 30:50 you can see that the colors of the wall and the floor make it hard to tell where the wall is - it just looks like an open area to me. Maybe the wall should be a different color, could be cracked, or even have a slightly sharper outline. I like the muted tones, but I think that that at least should be more readable. I wasn't able to get a good look at blue base, but at the very least I think the red base should be looked at to see if there is a way to make it more readable. Other than that, the new Rift looks great!

I think we fixed this in the most recent push to PBE. Please let me know if you still feel like this is a concern.

LanewallClarity.jpg

RiotForScience

09-24-2014

Quote:
Rizerr:
I think it would be amazing if Baron's spawning animation effected the maps visuals.

Why? I feel like, right now, Baron isint perceived as this powerful monster that's strong enough to break the map, and so while killing him does reward you Baron buff, it just doesn't give you that thrill of accomplishment like.. "We must be strong to have killed that thing!"

For the spawn of Baron, I'd like to see a powerful spawn. He should shoot out from the ground, arch his back, and let out a roar. The roar should be heard throughout the map, like the announcer. When he shoots from the ground, let the cracks coming from his spawn have purple energy pulsating from Baron. This way, you don't lose that "Baron has been here before" effect, but you gain that "Baron has arrived!" Effect.

Although, we can't leave all the glory for top and middle lane! Oh, no! Bottom lane needs some fancy indications of this beast spawning. Those beautiful undamaged runes need to be effected. As well as the turrets, so that if you're not in the jungle you still get informed. Let these runes and towers flicker like a dying lightbulb when baron spawns. Ofcourse, this shouldnt effect gameplay. Even if the tower flickers, it should be 100% effective, still.

That's my two cents on this subject! I hope I have some supporters on this! Like the developers, I only want to enhance the experience and visuals without negatively effecting the gameplay. Since my aim here is to let the whole map become aware of Baron's spawn, people might think it's going to effect gameplay but I think it won't, since people already know what time he spawns.

Thanks for the read, and give me feed back! Thank you, again! -Rizerr

I love the idea of the runes in the east side of the map hinting at when Baron spawns. Great idea!

RiotForScience

09-24-2014

Quote:
DONTREPORTMEX:
I completely agree with this guy.
This is something a lot of people do not seem to understand.
League of Legends is particularly interesting because of its art style.
Colorful, vibrant, cartoonish.
Please consider this!

I think at this point the map does feel more like the image on the right. There are reasons to make both aesthetic calls so there will continue to be a push/pull on this issue. Here is a sample of a brighter spot on the map, Is this closer to what you were hoping for?

Thanks for the feedback.. Sorry about the delay in my responses.

Brightness.jpg

RiotForScience

09-29-2014

This thread has been migrated over to

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/EJJ89pfy-summoners-rift-detailed-art-feedback

If you would like visibility on your idea for Summoner's Rift, this will be the new place to put that feedback!

SuruStorm

09-29-2014

While I love updated Summoner's Rift in a lot of ways, I would really like to see some improvements for those who play at lowest settings. Current Summoner's Rift look fairly decent when lowest environment settings are selected; but new Summoner's Rift looks pixelated and cluttered to the point where it is quite distracting. And I am aware that optimizing is still being done, but I for one am getting significant frame rate drops when I play new Summoner's Rift. Love the work you guys do and can't wait for the finished version of the map.

Gaki no Tsukai

09-30-2014

I haven't been on the new rift in a week or two, but the last time I was it was very bright blue side. A little bit too bright, like I told a friend, it felt like I needed sunglasses at the blue side base, and the jungle was nearly twice the brightness of purple jungle.

I'll spend some more time there and get back to this lovely thread though