Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3Power

06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Keeping the playspace clean and uncluttered is a very deliberate design decision. It should help teamfights be much easier to follow.
I'm sorry, but how easy team fights are to follow has nothing to do with what summoner's rift looks like. If you truly believe it does then surely you could point to some sort of evidence that it's a common user complaint? A poll, or heavily recurring thread, perhaps?

No, I think someone somewhere in riot got this ridiculous idea into their head and is forcing the art department to go along with it.

Anyway, this is a "not broke don't fix it" situation right here. Not in the VU in general but in this specific issue. The amount of "easier to followness" you think this is going to create is not worth the visual unpleasantness these flat plastic textures are going to cause.

But hey, it's clear you're not gonna listen to me anyway, so what the hell. You're just gonna get a million identical complaints the moment the thing launches.

@Coldmanj

Nothing you said actually addressed anything I said, so...

kanacho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
I'm sorry, but how easy team fights are to follow has nothing to do with what summoner's rift looks like. If you truly believe it does then surely you could point to some sort of evidence that it's a common user complaint? A poll, or heavily recurring thread, perhaps?

No, I think someone somewhere in riot got this ridiculous idea into their head and is forcing the art department to go along with it.

Anyway, this is a "not broke don't fix it" situation right here. Not in the VU in general but in this specific issue. The amount of "easier to followness" you think this is going to create is not worth the visual unpleasantness these flat plastic textures are going to cause.

But hey, it's clear you're not gonna listen to me anyway, so what the hell. You're just gonna get a million identical complaints the moment the thing launches.

@Coldmanj

Nothing you said actually addressed anything I said, so...
Literally the primary issue is The Navigation Mesh which does not at all remotely match the visuals in some places, as shown in the developer blog with Lizard's camp. This can seriously hinder champions who use dashing and such to get through terrain and all that. It's not a problem in every team fight, but when it is a problem, it's really not something you want to get KOed because of.
Plus I think it's long overdo that Summoner's Rift, which is the main game mode, got an update visually since all these champs are getting them as well. I think it looks great.

kanacho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldmanj View Post
I actually have to disagree with you on this. Old summoners rift never had a true "location" in terms of environment/habitat/ecosystem that it existed in. It just was there, a place created by the institutes of war to hold tournaments to dictate the political flow of Runeterra. That meant just about anything could exist on Summoners Rift as it was a man made battlefield/arena in a man made location.

This has now changed. Summoners Rift has moved into a place that has an ecosystem, atop a mountain. Being atop a mountain means a high altitude which restricts particular flora and fauna from flourishing because of the thin atmosphere. Sticking to that train of thought, it would mean that the ground would be far less active and instead more sparse and desolate. Even something man made will have restrictions depending on its location. Sure the institute could spruce things up by using magic, but the other role of the institute is the regulation of magic not the overuse of it.
Very good point. Not to mention that Baron Nashor calls Summoner's Rift his home. The place is surely going to be affected negatively by the magic of the Beast, and he doesn't look like a nice one either. Desolation is most certainly a thematic idea that runs well with Baron's presence, and I think that it matches the environment really well. I do think it is a bit dark however, but that could be fixed by a little bit of lighting changes. Although, in the developer blog, they did say that they did this to make spells more easy to see visually. I think it's not really necessary with the play-space being so clean and sleek now. Changing the lighting a bit won't make it hard to see the skills at all. Maybe even adding a slider in the menu to change the lighting a bit could be a potential option, sort of like a gamma slider or something, but more customized for the rift.

SoLunAether

06-16-2014

I also posted this in the map design feedback thread, but this response may be more suited here.

After watching the VoD of the new map, I think it really looks great! There's only one major critique I have for it, and I haven't the time to search through all 57 pages to see if anyone else has said it. In my opinion, the wall going into the red base is too indistinguishable from the floor of the base. Look when they're sieging at 30:44. At 30:50 you can see that the colors of the wall and the floor make it hard to tell where the wall is - it just looks like an open area to me. Maybe the wall should be a different color, could be cracked, or even have a slightly sharper outline. I like the muted tones, but I think that that at least should be more readable. I wasn't able to get a good look at blue base, but at the very least I think the red base should be looked at to see if there is a way to make it more readable. Other than that, the new Rift looks great!

Fusion322

06-17-2014

As long as there is a day and night cycle ill be happy xD

Seraphnite

06-18-2014

First off I'm a huge fan of this update. I just have a few comments:

I would like for the blue side turrets to have a little bit more blue color. I think people respond more to the red turrets because they have all that red cloth and extra gold trim. It doesn't have to be cloth, what if he had blue crystals in his back? (is that a shield?)

The rocks with the swirl of blue on them in the east quadrant don't look like they belong. Everything else is so lush and overgrown in the forest, or caused by nature making its way. Those rocks don't look like magic is seeping from them, kind of like the blue sentinel and his minions have that effect. They feel out of place for me, and while I get that they are a nod to the old summoner's rift, they just don't have the impact the rest of the map's details have. I wish they looked more eerie and mystical.

I know you mentioned you were hoping to change the monsters so they also looked affected by baron, and while I get that is a huge undertaking; I personally would rather have that happen if it meant way less easter eggs. Though to be fair even if they just had a slight color shift, where the wood on the brambleback was more of a dark brown/purple and the rock on the sentinel was more black (or white) instead of grey I think that would work as well.

MountNegro

06-18-2014

Love the new wilderness forest look and the epic feel of the jungle camps. The 4 corners of the jungle and how baron affects to each side is a great idea but I don't like the biology I see. You got in the Blue side golem 3 flowering plants (Angio*****s) and none in the overgrown area in the south portion of the map. In a decaying landscape from baron a mushroom or some Fungi would be fun to see, maybe some Polypores on the tree trunks. The map mainly looks like a heavy conifer forest with some massive grass for the champions to use. Been playing since beta and studying biology together, two things I love.

If mage is the theme for purple (or red?) side, why not add how the crystals cause mutations or feed the jungle, and continue with your new Blue side and Red side feel. Maybe as blue side starts to lose towers, all the flowering plants wilt or bend as they're being fed from the Blue crystals. It will give a more epic feel when you cross river and are in enemy territory. That can play on teams confidence of when to contest buffs and fights if they see that their terrain is lacking that tower escape influence. For example, bot lane is having a good game and has taken 2 red towers, so the runes surrounding the the east golem lose luminance, it would be cool to see that loss in map control across the terrain, and shift in confidence for Blue team.

A question, will certain characters have interactions with the terrain or spots on the map as Easter eggs?

Klien Kurai

06-18-2014

So, are you guys (art team) going to add more little details into the play area of the new rift. the new one although looks pretty is very dull and flat. in the old rift you can see a bit of foliage and some flowers here and there which added a little bit of needed depth. also after seeing a comparison of the two maps i must say im going to miss the variety of stuff in the jungle and outside area.

i must say that im worried in the direction that the new map is going and would like some response dont need to just....y'know.....

-klien

Envor

06-24-2014

It really does look nice, I can't wait to play on it :3

Rizerr

06-24-2014

I think it would be amazing if Baron's spawning animation effected the maps visuals.

Why? I feel like, right now, Baron isint perceived as this powerful monster that's strong enough to break the map, and so while killing him does reward you Baron buff, it just doesn't give you that thrill of accomplishment like.. "We must be strong to have killed that thing!"

For the spawn of Baron, I'd like to see a powerful spawn. He should shoot out from the ground, arch his back, and let out a roar. The roar should be heard throughout the map, like the announcer. When he shoots from the ground, let the cracks coming from his spawn have purple energy pulsating from Baron. This way, you don't lose that "Baron has been here before" effect, but you gain that "Baron has arrived!" Effect.

Although, we can't leave all the glory for top and middle lane! Oh, no! Bottom lane needs some fancy indications of this beast spawning. Those beautiful undamaged runes need to be effected. As well as the turrets, so that if you're not in the jungle you still get informed. Let these runes and towers flicker like a dying lightbulb when baron spawns. Ofcourse, this shouldnt effect gameplay. Even if the tower flickers, it should be 100% effective, still.

That's my two cents on this subject! I hope I have some supporters on this! Like the developers, I only want to enhance the experience and visuals without negatively effecting the gameplay. Since my aim here is to let the whole map become aware of Baron's spawn, people might think it's going to effect gameplay but I think it won't, since people already know what time he spawns.

Thanks for the read, and give me feed back! Thank you, again! -Rizerr