Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pillowhit

06-06-2014

Overall the new visuals are awesome and I can't wait to see them with the final polish added, BUT I do have one major issue concerning insects. On the current summoners rift by the second tower on purple side lives a family of insects. I have grown quite fond of them because it was seeing the little bugs skitter near the base of that turret that showed me how much attention to detail and love is put into this game. Since I discovered them the game has gained the flavor of running around through a magical woods on top of the regular game play. While the new map oozes with this level of care, I still would like to bring up the 2nd mid purple turret insects in hopes that they make it to the next summoners rift.

Here's some screenshots of the insects (the quality dropped a lot from in game, but if you click to see each picture enlarged you can still see the little ones.):
http://imgur.com/a/Y9vvh

Action Jxn

06-06-2014

Can the new minimap champ icons be made more colorblind friendly with the VU? Right now even with colorblind mode turned on I can't tell the difference between friend or foe champion icons. It always causes me to have to pause for a second and think "do we have a shyv on our team?" before running for my life.

It's strange because I can clearly see the difference in minions but something about the champion icons just makes it really hard to see.

Unless there isn't supposed to be different icon borders for friend/foe, then disregard everything.

iGoogledYourMOM

06-07-2014

Can we have a HD / High Texture option for those people that can Handle it? In my opinion, the New SR feels flat, lacks in dept & clarity or non-organic.

iAteMyVegetables

06-07-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red/blue side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.

gameboy0895

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2014

The new SR looks beautiful. I love the new color palette because it will make abilities/champions stand out more and easy to see. I absolutely love it!

The Baron pit still needs more 'Scare' to it. Compared to the legendary dragon pit which now it seems to be... Baron still looks underwhelming compared to him. Maybe he lets out a huge monster cry during spawn and the screen shakes just for you? Not sure how it could be made better.

Anyway I love how the cartoony style was still preserved. SHoo the naysayers who say this looks like DOTA or some ****. Nope... If you look closely it still preserves the artsy, cartoonish theme with the landscape and the monsters. Love it.

Whatishisname

06-07-2014

(My qualm concerns with style)

I haven't read this entire thread but is there anything you could do that would stop people from saying it is more Dota2-like? I think it is the color (some shade of blue) that makes it similar.

Edit: I just noticed how the champions look more cartoonish in the new SR. It might be because the environment is different and it might just be me. I have a question: What style is Riot going for for their fantasy world, cartoonish or realism? If we go by the League of legends cinematic its definitely realism but this SR version, is it trying for that?

Also the map definitely needs to have more color. I know you guys have gameplay concerns but the current SR has more color and that is fine. In fact, the reason why it looks similar to Dota2 might be the dull palate. The current palate makes the champions stand out a bit too much and that might also be the reason they seem cartoonish. So I think my main issue is the dull-color palate. If SR could have a little more color, it would make it better.

Overall I love the background, the monster animations and everything. I love how you guys are working to make this game better everyday. It makes me love you guys as a company and have faith in League of legends. Keep up the good work!

Edit2: Just found a nice review and feedback video here. It made me realize how much detail I missed. Really nice work! And some of the concerns he raised were:

1. Baron does not have a epic re-spawn animation like dragon even though he is more game changing.
  2. He seem like he is clipping the terrain.
  3. Riot could have gone experimental and taken inspiration for a different art style than the generic quasi-Celtic one.
  4. The River does not flow through the rift.

Klien Kurai

06-08-2014

I didnt even think of how the champs would look in comparison to the new rift. Are we going to be looking at A LOT of VU's to up the standards for some champs that just dont compare to this quality of aesthetic

gameboy0895

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2014

I have some quick ideas for the art of the new Rift.

I wish the 'Base' would feel more like a base. I want it to actually feel like its on higher ground and 'look' destroyed like it wore through the times.... of ancient wars in Runeterra and such. The base should have broken siege equipment lying around maybe or place along the walls where they were tested. I want the walls to feel more authentic and base to feel like a 'fort' sort of.

PentaKiru

06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
These are really good points. The post from 2009 was unfortunate. There are some technical/hurdles that are making that solution less than ideal. I would love to hear any ideas you may have that would improve gameplay balance on the map. I think the 90 degree idea has a lot of potential.
I just want to say, thanks a lot for replying. Hopefully the VU will clear most technical hurdles for the purple side camera flip, so it might be possible to have it done by the end of the year. I understand why you don't want to put dates on things like this though.

nonsense

06-09-2014

i like this new map, but this looks like a childish feel. This looks like something out of heroscape or some ****. I would like it if there was more grass and more trees. you can upgrade graphics and still keep the feel of how league has that original forest feel. and i see everyones hating the 2 headed wolf which i agree, but no one thinks the wraiths look stupid? seriously??? they look so stupid and look like something out of luigi's mansion... KEEP OLD WRAITHS.... not these legend of zelda poe things......