Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Turret49

06-06-2014

So.. why are we now located wayyy up on top of a mountain? You could say I have issues with this, I always considered it more of a valley or forest, the lowest point being the river that sits in the middle of the map.

Why do the shopkeepers now have to travel up to such a difficult to reach location, and make it more difficult for them to get supplies?
How does the new "Gromp" creature and the mushrooms surrounding it exist in a location clearly open to broad daylight?
How is there a river at the peak of a mountain? think about it.
Even a creature like Baron Nashor would make more sense residing underground in the lower forests or valleys, rather than isolating itself on top of a mountain with a dubious water source.

The new location makes no sense and bothers me, it feels incredibly isolated compared to what it was before, I don't know if that was the intention, but to me it's unnecessary.

Also the champions look more likely to just fall off the side of the map than in the Howling Abyss.. those spawn areas are dangerous as heck.

DISCLAIMER: I personally think the new art style and palette and basically everything about the new Rift looks GORGEOUS, and the art people that worked on it all did way beyond what was expected of them! It was well worth all the effort you guys put in.

DevilSatan666

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncookies1 View Post
Does the smiley face bot lane return?
I hope so :/

Noctes setcoN

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo Ayanami View Post
About the champion arts, can you please update it, some looks aweful (REALLY aweful) as instance Evelynn, or use the Tencent arts?
1. This is not the right thread for this. This is a thread specifically for Summoner's Rift art, not League of Legends art.

2. They're working on VU's and splash art updates, that's their focus for this season. Evelynn specifically they say time and time again will be a while until she's ready to be updated. They cant just simply update her art, not when she needs a whole new VU, because then they'd just waste resources on new artwork that will end up being being completely different from the final in-game product. She will get new artwork when she gets a new design.

Noctes setcoN

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turret49 View Post
So.. why are we now located wayyy up on top of a mountain? You could say I have issues with this, I always considered it more of a valley or forest, the lowest point being the river that sits in the middle of the map.

Why do the shopkeepers now have to travel up to such a difficult to reach location, and make it more difficult for them to get supplies?
How does the new "Gromp" creature and the mushrooms surrounding it exist in a location clearly open to broad daylight?
How is there a river at the peak of a mountain? think about it.
Even a creature like Baron Nashor would make more sense residing underground in the lower forests or valleys, rather than isolating itself on top of a mountain with a dubious water source.

The new location makes no sense and bothers me, it feels incredibly isolated compared to what it was before, I don't know if that was the intention, but to me it's unnecessary.

Also the champions look more likely to just fall off the side of the map than in the Howling Abyss.. those spawn areas are dangerous as heck.

DISCLAIMER: I personally think the new art style and palette and basically everything about the new Rift looks GORGEOUS, and the art people that worked on it all did way beyond what was expected of them! It was well worth all the effort you guys put in.
I'm pretty sure forests can exist on top of mountains. Not all mountains are Mt. Everest.

Blue side shopkeeper looks to be more of a migrating merchant, hence the large beast holding all of her supplies. Red side shopkeeper seems to have more of an established shop in place, though it still looks like it can moved if need be. It's more or less a boat attached to a pillar. Now why would they be up there? Well perhaps the Institute of War (assuming it still exists within the League of Legends lore) commissioned them to provide equipment for those fighting it out there on Summoner's Rift.

Look again. The entire jungle on both sides is quite dark, much darker than the lanes and the bases. There's likely more trees covering the top of the jungle, blocking out more sun than you'd expect. Forests are pretty dark irl.

If you look closely when it pans across mid lane, there are two stone "faces" that pour water out, which seems to act as the source of the "river". How the water pours out of the mouths, well there can be a large number of ways, some explainable via science, some via magic (reminder, this IS a fantasy world).

Why can't Baron dwell within a mountain? Who's to say there's no cave system within the mountain itself? Where else would the hole in the Baron pit lead?

Klien Kurai

06-06-2014

[QUOTE=
Why can't Baron dwell within a mountain? Who's to say there's no cave system within the mountain itself? Where else would the hole in the Baron pit lead?[/QUOTE]

to the depths of hell

but for realz i think that the new baron nashor looks akin to something void related, so i would think that the area its in has some sort of void relating theme in it. just being purple isnt enough lol

Klien Kurai

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
I'm pretty sure forests can exist on top of mountains. Not all mountains are Mt. Everest.

Blue side shopkeeper looks to be more of a migrating merchant, hence the large beast holding all of her supplies. Red side shopkeeper seems to have more of an established shop in place, though it still looks like it can moved if need be. It's more or less a boat attached to a pillar. Now why would they be up there? Well perhaps the Institute of War (assuming it still exists within the League of Legends lore) commissioned them to provide equipment for those fighting it out there on Summoner's Rift.

Look again. The entire jungle on both sides is quite dark, much darker than the lanes and the bases. There's likely more trees covering the top of the jungle, blocking out more sun than you'd expect. Forests are pretty dark irl.

If you look closely when it pans across mid lane, there are two stone "faces" that pour water out, which seems to act as the source of the "river". How the water pours out of the mouths, well there can be a large number of ways, some explainable via science, some via magic (reminder, this IS a fantasy world).

Why can't Baron dwell within a mountain? Who's to say there's no cave system within the mountain itself? Where else would the hole in the Baron pit lead?
i think that baron has some void elements in its new design, so i would suggest that they add something to support that further deepening the voids connection with the institute of justice

Noctes setcoN

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klien Kurai View Post
i think that baron has some void elements in its new design, so i would suggest that they add something to support that further deepening the voids connection with the institute of justice
Huh, he does look kind of "Void"-ish, huh?

Well who's to say he DOESN'T originate from the Void, and has maybe made his permanent residence there in the mountain (becoming the "Baron" so to speak) as opposed to going back to the Void?

Klien Kurai

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
Huh, he does look kind of "Void"-ish, huh?

Well who's to say he DOESN'T originate from the Void, and has maybe made his permanent residence there in the mountain (becoming the "Baron" so to speak) as opposed to going back to the Void?
true but what im saying is that they could add something to further explain maybe why he/she or its there.

so adding some sort of lore aspect to it, like it was once a raging void beast then the league took it and put it there.

i dunno just something to explain his presence, a dragon isn't that far fetched in runeterra but baron is just there and we dont know why

Foolish Lantern

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klien Kurai View Post
true but what im saying is that they could add something to further explain maybe why he/she or its there.

so adding some sort of lore aspect to it, like it was once a raging void beast then the league took it and put it there.

i dunno just something to explain his presence, a dragon isn't that far fetched in runeterra but baron is just there and we dont know why
Runeterra has suffered from numerous Rune Wars, which severely damaged the planets integrity. They were so devastating, the Institute of War was formed to prevent another Rune War from ever occurring. Taking into consideration the magical nature of LoL's setting, the instance of terrible, magical wars, the magical "fallout", so to speak, mentioned by Rioter's discussing the new wolves, and the fact that Baron's area of the map is "shattered", it could be very possible that he/she/it forced its way into Runeterra from the Void.

It is difficult to say exactly why Baron came to Runeterra at all, but Voidlings tend to flock to Runeterra anyway.

FatedTitan

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I think this thread has been a very valuable resource in the creation of the update. A lot of fantastic ideas originated here. A lot of really good ideas were able to gain enough momentum to be implemented because of the backing of your input.

My role on the team isn't really to own any individual thing but to keep an eye on the map from a birds eye view. I am really proud of the team I am a part of.

Could you give us some examples of things that were suggested on this thread or others that made it in the final product?