Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PHoToS999

06-05-2014

So, Science, I love the new map, it's absofriggin gorgeous. However, what I'm really wondering is how much these changes actually help people that are on purple side.

Specifically, purple side in the bot lane.

In the interest of brevity, let me just say that I play using locked cam out of sheer necessity, and enjoy playing in the bot lane. Playing purple side bot lane is a game ruiner for me. I don't enjoy it, and the game immediately becomes an exercise in frustration.

So, please, tell me this update has something in store to make purple bot lane an enjoyable experience for people like me. Hell, if you told me I could just get blue side more often, I'd jump for joy, because it seems like every single game I get, surprise, it's purple again. It's like LoL is giving me the finger just cuz it can, and it's very, very aggravating.

Thales

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I think it is a great idea, our shaders do not currently support that tech but I can see where you are going with it.
It could allow the map to be slightly more vibrant without compromising clarity. Then again, the current look is designed with this specific palette in mind, so making it higher saturation isn't just a matter of flicking a switch. I know from my coursework in graphics that shaders are complex and messy things, but are the current shaders mostly set?

In general, this new map looks wonderful. I can't wait to try it out on PBE!

Dessembrae

06-05-2014

RiotForScience since you are lurking around, I am curious to know much of the new Rift was a direct result of forum feedback from your threads versus what you had already planned internally? Also, are there any particular details of the new map that you feel abnormally proud of?

FlamingPaperCup

06-05-2014

My only problem with the new update is while the Elder Lizard looks amazing, he doesn't look like a lizard anymore, more of a living tree type beast. Are you planning on redoing the camp sort of like how the Wraith was replaced? Or will you be doing some work to make the camp look more, lizardy?

Anfurel

06-05-2014

I definitely like the new look so far. However, what does this mean for champions with non-flash abilities that can currently cut across terrain? Looking at the shot from the mid lane posted in the Dev Blog update, as a new player (or even an old player trying to get used to the new look), I wouldn't know if Lucian's relentless pursuit would be able to get me over what used to be a small incline. As it stands, just from the few shots of the new look, there is no visible difference between the small river slopes and the walls surrounding the dragon. I know the list of champions that will be affected by this is short (only Graves, Lucian, Nidalee and Riven come to mind); I was just curious to see if this was an active concern.

SailorPikaMars

06-05-2014

Oh one thing i forgot to say is that the mid lane is gorgeous!
I love those Shrine Waterfall things they are amazing and i also like how the edges of the river is like a shore going in and out in and out, I just really like that lol.

Ragu

06-05-2014

I watched the trailer again, and I noticed stairs (I think) on mid lane. Will there be new fog of war mechanics coming in as a second layer of defense, or just aesthetic? Btw, I don't know if this is your area too, but while I think the new spawns for the monsters are EXTREMELY cool, will they happen a tad before the actual spawn time and just be for show, and then become target-able, or will the spawns begin on time, and they can be canceled by attacking? I think the former would work better, and look less...gamey? I dunno.

kayakninja

06-05-2014

Really like the map, even though it's going to take some getting used to. That being said, I do agree with the feedback that it looks a bit too dim. It's a pretty big change from the live SR.

HesOnTop

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
These are really good points. The post from 2009 was unfortunate. There are some technical/hurdles that are making that solution less than ideal. I would love to hear any ideas you may have that would improve gameplay balance on the map. I think the 90 degree idea has a lot of potential.
I like your willingness to be open for feedback, but the feedback is really just that simple. Give us an option to flip the screen and minimap. The brush shouldn't be that hard for the pros at Riot to fix up to look spiffy.

Playing on purple side, be it on Summoners Rift or Howling Abyss, just isn't FUN at all. Its a chore and I just pray for the game to be over with quicker, be it win or lose, so that I can hopefully be on blue side again.

Ragu

06-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesOnTop View Post
I like your willingness to be open for feedback, but the feedback is really just that simple. Give us an option to flip the screen and minimap. The brush shouldn't be that hard for the pros at Riot to fix up to look spiffy.

Playing on purple side, be it on Summoners Rift or Howling Abyss, just isn't FUN at all. Its a chore and I just pray for the game to be over with quicker, be it win or lose, so that I can hopefully be on blue side again.
Am I the only person who doesn't really have a problem with the whole purple side thing? I just set all my hud scaling bars to 1 or whatever, problem solved.