Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rivini

05-08-2014

I have not read through this thread so forgive me if this was already suggested.

A lot of people refer to top lane as an "island" where the two top laners duke it out and are usually left alone until the laning phase ends, hence the joke.

I was thinking the top area from blue side's outer turret to purple side's outer turret could be terraformed to actually become an island. The water could branch out from the river and curve around the backs of the two turrets, then perhaps make the ground resemble more of a beach (optional).

Top lane could then be legitimately called an "island."

Saevum

05-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3
With river I thought one goal was to make it feel like a literal river flowing from top to bot lane though I can understand if it wasn't possible. Maybe if the 'cliffs' (if you can call them that) near top lane had water pouring out of them and at bot lane there were openings in the sides where the water would pour underground.
I liked this^

if hypothetically speaking, there would be a way to add this, the problems would be (visually speaking):

1. Low animation in the pouring at the born spot of river (due to lag issues). We are just assuming things here, do not rage on me (i am no animation expert).

2. River already manages a height-like variation in SR (which goes in favor of the idea - raw idea). The main problem with this would be the beginning of the river in top. Top does not manage this height variation, nor mid, nor bot (visually speaking, everything is visually speaking). However, there is a solution for mid: water can flow under it (or a way to make it look like that) "bridge like". Deceiving (in the worst case scenario) but, better than nothing.

3. For Bot lane, it would be "similar" to mid lane at first glance (making the water go under it) BUT, you may not be able to see the REST of river. This would DEFY (visually speaking) the consistent idea.

4. And the last and the worst (in a hard term of brainstorming-fixing solution): Top Lane. Where to start? - Let's split it: A) No height variable. B) Major changes in River born spot. C) Waterfall-like-river-born spot would restrict some ecology themes for top (visually speaking). D) River animation lag/low res.

Lets pick.. hmm.. C!

Now that @RiotForScience is talking about the "theme" collateral impact on SR - if there would be a waterfall, or River-spot-born-like on Top Lane, then the THEMES for top would be reduced (i.e. to maybe just rain-forest-like or just forest for Top Lane). We are assuming of course, that we are trying to go on with a certain-possible-probable visually-speaking theme.

And the trouble just goes on. I really like the idea of River being fully animated from top lane to bot lane, but, let's just be real, the odds are not in our favor. BUT if there is a way, then i am in Favor of the idea. Just saying.

exec3

05-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I really like your idea of themeing towers toward the ecology around them. Do you have any suggestions for different SR ecology?
Other than bot lane being swamp themed and mid being perhaps crumbling and aged ruins (if SR is supposed to be old and ancient) I can't think of anything else but i'll jump back in if I do.

I had a thought more related to audio than art but talk on the new audio engine has gotten me thinking. What would the possibilities be of dynamic music playing based on where you are or where you're doing? eg: the music changes as you go from lane to jungle or to river or to baron (epic boss music!), or also changing when a fight breaks and the music becomes more epic depending on how many champions are taking part in the fight. It would certainly push the epic dial up to 13 and I believe it's quite possible to do something like that, it's just a question on whether you guys have the tech or resources to do it.

/edit

Probably (understatement) beyond the scope of this thread but i was just thinking about what if Nexus defended itself like in say Dawngate or Smite. I was just thinking about ways to stop dodgy backdoors and the Nexus defending itself would be the most elegant way to do so (it'd also make that final victory that bit more epic). The question would be what form would it take? I think the living Nexus has already been done before so what if the Nexus was some sort of castle like structure that had multiple points to fire or something. Just random thoughts.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

05-29-2014
84 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
Other than bot lane being swamp themed and mid being perhaps crumbling and aged ruins (if SR is supposed to be old and ancient) I can't think of anything else but i'll jump back in if I do.

I had a thought more related to audio than art but talk on the new audio engine has gotten me thinking. What would the possibilities be of dynamic music playing based on where you are or where you're doing? eg: the music changes as you go from lane to jungle or to river or to baron (epic boss music!), or also changing when a fight breaks and the music becomes more epic depending on how many champions are taking part in the fight. It would certainly push the epic dial up to 13 and I believe it's quite possible to do something like that, it's just a question on whether you guys have the tech or resources to do it.

/edit

Probably (understatement) beyond the scope of this thread but i was just thinking about what if Nexus defended itself like in say Dawngate or Smite. I was just thinking about ways to stop dodgy backdoors and the Nexus defending itself would be the most elegant way to do so (it'd also make that final victory that bit more epic). The question would be what form would it take? I think the living Nexus has already been done before so what if the Nexus was some sort of castle like structure that had multiple points to fire or something. Just random thoughts.

I actually just posted on a simmilar idea over in

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...1#post47415581

I think the easiest way to test the concept is to create a Baron-nexus. It is probably more in line with the goals of the maps/modes guys than what I am working on. But I think there is a lot of potential in the idea.

Snailed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2014

45° camera rotation is not an option. It needs to be 90°. This is the correct thing to do.

The grass should easily be able to move according to the camera.. hundreds and thousands of other games have overcome this issue like 20 years ago.

Celeress

05-30-2014

I think 1 point that would be a great thing to include to this is the fact that the champions are being summoned! Instead of starting with a beam of light going through you, I think champions should like.. Well, Actually be summoned. Like sort of "fade-in" with a sort of "recall-ish" sound but more "whoosh-y."
Also possibly "Champion Platforms" that you start on?

Right now, just the way the fountain looks like it would only support 1 champion being summoned into the center. 5 Champions being summoned in a circle around the center on no particular "platform" or rune or whatever, to me at least, doesn't really look right. The whole "Summoner summoning champions onto the field" thing that this game is about could really be elaborated on with a better fountain / starting animation.

Venheart

05-30-2014

How about Summoner's Rift following the real world time based on the server you're in. During the day its brighter and sunnier, maybe have specific animals or things that you might see during the day like butterflies and other small jungle animals. Then at night Summoner's rift is shaded in blue (like movie based night effects, with fireflies, frogs and other late night creatures?

MoreLazersLoL

05-30-2014

Fix the camera for purple side.

We were told it was coming back 5 years ago and have a 54 page LoL thread of people mostly wanting it.
Picture showing locked camera vision imbalance
985 reddit points on this issue
2155 reddit points on this issue

How to fix it:
Rotate SR 90 degrees when on purple side (Have it enabled by default but toggleable)
Flip minimap, people will call baron lane/dragon lane (Have it enabled by default but toggleable)
Fix bush textures

Being toggleable is important in case it affects performance on low spec machines in the first case, or people simply don't like it.

RiotForScience

06-04-2014
85 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreLazersLoL View Post
Fix the camera for purple side.

We were told it was coming back 5 years ago and have a 54 page LoL thread of people mostly wanting it.
Picture showing locked camera vision imbalance
985 reddit points on this issue
2155 reddit points on this issue

How to fix it:
Rotate SR 90 degrees when on purple side (Have it enabled by default but toggleable)
Flip minimap, people will call baron lane/dragon lane (Have it enabled by default but toggleable)
Fix bush textures

Being toggleable is important in case it affects performance on low spec machines in the first case, or people simply don't like it.

These are really good points. The post from 2009 was unfortunate. There are some technical/hurdles that are making that solution less than ideal. I would love to hear any ideas you may have that would improve gameplay balance on the map. I think the 90 degree idea has a lot of potential.

RiotForScience

06-04-2014
86 of 92 Riot Posts

I apologize in advance for this huge post. I have been trying to condense the feedback from this thread over time and trickle it out into smaller digestable bits that are easier to discuss. I want to make a single post that has most of the feedback in one easy place to reference.

Consolidated Critique from the Art and Audio feedback forum.
Most common feedback
Minons and Monsters and Towers need a VU
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees
The map needs to retain a lighthearted feel
We need to add 4th camp (Allready done)
The creep camps need to make sense for the monsters that live there
The river needs to make sense and feel like a river
Trees and bushes should not be so uniform, Need to be proportional to the Champions
Make Summoner’s Rift fit it’s lore; or make the lore fit SR.
Make Baron look like the ToF cinematic
SR should be themed for conflict.

1. Textures and rendering needs to be higher fidelity
2. Flora is not integrated with each other or with the terrain
3. Flora scale is not appropriate to the champion scale
4. Baron’s area does not feel as epic as it should
5. Architecture seems out of place with the environment as a whole
6. Objects in the map are repeated too frequently
7. The turrets do not look as good as HA
8. The Map needs to retain it’s “Fairy Tale” thematic
9. The map needs to be single themed ***
10. Laser range needs to be clearly defined
11. The nav-mesh on the map needs to stay the same
12. The map must be highly performant on a min spec machine
13. The map needs better integration with the lore
14. There are props that seem inappropriate for the environment
15. The jungle camps need to be higher quality
16. The minions need a VU
17. We should flip the golem camp so that they face the other direction***
18. More destructible content like HA
19. Make SR look like the beta-site background Illustration***
20. Make brush move dynamically
21. Add damage states to the turrets
22. More variety in tree types
23. There needs to be a clear (but not clean) boundary between terrain and path
24. The River needs to make more sense
25. The different sections of the map need slightly different themes
26. There needs to be SFX for walking through grass or water ***
27. The terrain could get more worn as the game progresses ***
28. The houses feel really unnatural in the forest, the statues don’t make much sense
29. Summoner’s Rift needs to actually feel like a Rift
30. Trees should wobble when you shoot a skillshot through them ***
31. The Nexus needs to be updated
32. The Terrain feels too flat ***
33. Reposition the minion camps***
34. Add weather ***
35. Make the base look better
36. Higher tech deep water for the River
37. SR needs to be symmetrical
38. The map should feel war-torn
39. We need to avoid Visual and Audio clutter
40. The 2 sides need to be visually distinct Arcitecture as well as gamplay objects like towers
41. The 8-eyed wraiths seem really weird
42. Red Buff Spikes feel unnatural
43. Baron needs a VU
44. Flat flowers all over the map does not make sense
45. Make colorblind mode the default method of play
46. Secret Portals
47. Make Buff monsters more prominent
48. More directed audio based on factions and characters
49. More SFX in the jungle
50. Stranger audio interactions with Baron and Dragon
51. Darker color template ***
52. The place needs to feel like either an arena or a site of conflict
53. SR needs to feel organic and grounded in reality
54. The jungle shoulden’t feel cultivated to have specific paths
55. The buff creatures and dragon deserve names and implied stories
56. The map needs little details that give it character
57. The map needs to feel “Clean”
58. Make bold changes to the layout***
59. SR should have a very distinct top feel vs Bottom feel (Light Side Dark Side)
60. Avoid cliché divisions between the top and bottom, like good vs evil
61. Need a more iconic exploration of dragon
62. Make creep comps feel lived in by their inhabitants
63. Minions need a rework and it would be great to have a map-specific skin for minons
64. Build models and textures in a way that permits the map to be rotated***
65. Destroy landscape when towers fall
66. Make Baron look like the Twist of Fate cinematic
67. Make baron be a multi phased bossfight. Fight tentacles before baron spawns***
68. Make SR look as good as HA
69. Redesign the map to be as animated as CS
70. Balance the map by fixing inequity of HUD and camera. Orient the map from right to left***
71. Have min spec lower than HA
72. Create landmarks in the playspace to indicate where you can flash or ward
73. Increase the resolution of the map, but don’t change it like we did with HA/TT***
74. Tie SR into Freljord and Ironspine mountains. Hook it into the lore of Runeterra***
75. More easter eggs especially things associated with specific champions
76. Make the map immersive but avoid clutter
77. Each lane needs to have something special about it…like CS
78. Each lane should have special and unique turrets
79. Midlane needs to feel great
80. Maintain the playful and cartoony essence of SR
81. It doesn’t need to feel literally like a river or a jungle
82. Purple side needs to not be at a disadvantage
83. Need small visual ques to indicate tower range
84. Contextual soundtracks based on location on the map or status
85. Align SR to the Vis-Dev image ***
86. Make baron’s lair feel acid burned. Make it feel more dreadful and deadly
87. Have dragon be sleeping when we first see it. Have him surrounded by bones
88. Better water effects
89. Trees look like party hats. Too much repetition in flora
90. Have camps repositioned so that they face each-other ***
91. Have more options and mobility for jungler, change map layout for Season 4
92. Reposition Tri bush so that it is not such a long walk to gank ***
93. SR needs to feel alive like CS, TT, and HA. SR is too static
94. Add pixies or fireflies
95. Higher fidelity lane and jungle ground textures
96. Add overgrown statues or architecture
97. River should connect through the middle otherwise it doesn’t feel like a river ***
98. The jungle should feel thick and scary
99. Use the unused space in the bases to add a more defining theme
100. Get awesome updated music
101. Set SR at nighttime, add more light sources***
102. Change the ground texture when towers are destroyed
103. Make the 2 sides visually asymmetrical
104. Have trees that overhang the playspace and have them go transparent when occluding***
105. Have height variation that effects gameplay for mobile champs***
106. Be able to destroy a lane and make it impassable for a period of time***
107. Fix the golem advantage for blue side
108. Add day/night cycles***
109. Add Hazardous environmental effects***
110. Add things that can knock around your character on the map randomly***
111. Add weather conditions that alter visibility and mobility ***
112. Create additional play phases on the map that would allow players to rebuild structures***
113. Raise the item tier cap and create a 2-3 hour long game mode ***
114. Have customizable map setings like turret damage and global xp and gold***
115. Be able to set a camera offset on the purple side
116. Allow players to zoom the camera out further***
117. There are too many lantern doodads. They are distracting
118. No more pigs knights and garden gnomes
119. Redesign the map so that all of the lanes meet straight-on***
120. Dragon’s anatomy needs to feel similar to Shyvanna’s. More consistancy***
121. Add random ambient life to the map
122. Killing Baron needs to feel EPIC
123. Replace dragon with phoenix because a phoenix would respawn***
124. We need a buff to indicate temporary invisibility within the brush
125. Add a vista on the borders of the map like in HA
126. Need a critter in SR like HA’s poro
127. Have the river give a mana regen buff***
128. There needs to be a thematic opening
129. There needs to be a grave at the site of first-blood
130. Nexus and inhibs should be updated and thematic for the map
131. Have unique shopkeepers at both ends of the map
132. Have story elements in the map like in TT
133. We need to increase engagement on the Dragon
134. Add more jungle monsters to help purple side
135. Have splashes in the river when you walk on it
136. If minions don’t do magic damage, they should have a bow rather than a magic effect
137. Wolf camp is located in such a way that it interferes with pathing
138. Some camp openings should be inverted
139. Lanes should bow in toward the map. Should be concave
140. There needs to be a Rift in Summoner’s Rift
141. Have Shopkeeper dialogue like HA
142. Dragon should have a gold hoard that vanishes when you kill him
143. Do not add environment effects
144. Add a gravestone for URF
145. Tie the map into the Rune-Wars lore
146. Torches should light up the fog of war
147. The jungle asymmetry makes it easier for Purple to gank
148. There should be terrain advantages to vision. Higher ground for more vision***
149. Minions should have a little VO. Like yelling Charge!
150. Have Baron emerge from water at the source of the river
151. Smaller more frequent updates
152. SR should be themed for conflict.