Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spade Ginsu

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
So if Skittles is the current SR and Monet will be the next SR, what was the original SR? :O

Jolly Ranchers? M&M's? no wait... Starburst :P

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

03-27-2014
81 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
Are you talking about new performance improvements or fixes to the recent fps issues? If new I should check it out as I wasn't impressed by the performance (GTX770 here) but I rarely play ARAM so I haven't noticed and change in performance.
We optimized the particles on HA, there was a lot of overdraw happening and we improved that, check it out if you get the chance to play it.

Not Arcane Ezrea

03-28-2014

Could we get some cool particles for the water on SR like how the grass got some? Maybe get the sound people to work with some sound particles for it too. Would be cool, though allow us to turn it on/off just incase fps problems.

Nimir Rah

03-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
I believe we recently made some optimizations to HA performance, I'm curious to hear if you're still experiencing the framerate issues.
Alrighty, I did try it last night. It seemed to work better for me, but I'll try it again tonight. I have a friend that it glitches a lot for and I'll see if I can get him to join in to confirm this. Thanks for letting me know!

Noctes setcoN

03-30-2014

Bump for the sake of art.

iAteMyVegetables

03-31-2014

All this talk, but nothing gets done..

RemusNeo

04-02-2014

So any date on the release?
Are these screans for real? http://yurixyworks.com/2014/03/01/a-...n-development/

RemusNeo

04-03-2014

Hmm?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-03-2014
82 of 92 Riot Posts

This thread has been a really amazing resource for collecting feedback on what you like, dislike and hope for in Summoner's Rift. I am not going to wander off topic to address any other subject.This is not a platform for me to talk about anything, it is a resource for you, to have a place where you can express your ideas and know that they will be heard. So that being said there have been a bunch of ideas that have been brought up on this forum (Hundreds of great ideas in fact) here is the next batch of that feedback.

76. Make the map immersive but avoid clutter
77. Each lane needs to have something special about it…like CS
78. Each lane should have special and unique turrets
79. Midlane needs to feel great
80. Maintain the playful and cartoony essence of SR
81. It doesn’t need to feel literally like a river or a jungle
82. Purple side needs to not be at a disadvantage
83. Need small visual ques to indicate tower range
84. Contextual soundtracks based on location on the map or status
85. Align SR to the Vis-Dev image ***
86. Make baron’s lair feel acid burned. Make it feel more dreadful and deadly
87. Have dragon be sleeping when we first see it. Have him surrounded by bones
88. Better water effects
89. Trees look like party hats. Too much repetition in flora
90. Have camps repositioned so that they face each-other ***

"Each lane needs to have something special about it"
This is a really great idea because not only would this suggestion add variety to the map, it would also help give orientation to people watching in spectate mode. As well as just providing general clarity. This batch of feedback seems to repeat the theme that the map could be more clear and playable.

"Align SR to the Vis-Dev image"
I have spoken at length about this in the past, but I will just mention again that this specific piece of art is not really "Concept Art" and is more of a rad illustration. It is was not built to be a foundation or a starting point. It was created to be an expression of the fantasy of what SR feels like.

"Have camps repositioned so that they face each-other"

I would love some more information about this. This feedback was created before we added the Wight camp. Does the Wight camp alleviate the concern, or is there still a gameplay improvement that could come from changing the orientation of the wolf camps?

exec3

04-03-2014

I like the idea of each lane being special in some way but i'm not sure if towers are the way to go because there's already a different design for each side, adding even more additional designs just adds more noise imo and at best is just a ton of extra unnecessary work for you guys. Maybe if the towers were the same but slightly different eg: say bot lane had a more swamp theme going then towers in bot lane could have swamp foliage growth on them or something. Creeps I feel should remain consistent between all lanes. Just imagine the weirdness of seeing 3 sets of different minions spawning at Nexus. :S

With river I thought one goal was to make it feel like a literal river flowing from top to bot lane though I can understand if it wasn't possible. Maybe if the 'cliffs' (if you can call them that) near top lane had water pouring out of them and at bot lane there were openings in the sides where the water would pour underground.

Finally with tower indicators I wish you guys could just put the custom/coop indicator in, I love that thing. But otherwise maybe some sort of scorch marks on the ground? Or perhaps the grass could look a little dead or worn within the tower range indicating it's taken a beating from when towers fire. Something subtle but recognizable (don't want brown grass and then all of a sudden green grass haha).