Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

exec3

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I promise that moving the Environment Art Team onto the problem is not going to get the problem fixed any faster.
I dunno, give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Garlyle Wilds

03-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
I dunno, give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?
The "Attempting to Reconnect" bar now plays a waterfall animation next to it.

Tetician

03-25-2014

@RiotForScience

Is the new SR going to have a much darker color template? Because I personally think a lot of the feel of playing on Summoners rift comes from the brightist, almost fantasy esc feel that comes from the map, I'd hate to see the map get dulled down to dark and boring colors. q.q

Wheeliam

03-25-2014

"Fountain Circle (Lazor range indicator)
This is a VERY important aspect of the game" ........no

daft inquisitor

03-25-2014

Quote:
I promise that moving the Environment Art Team onto that problem is not going to get it fixed any faster.
I dunno. You might end up finding an idiot savant at networking.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-25-2014
72 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
@RiotForScience

Is the new SR going to have a much darker color template? Because I personally think a lot of the feel of playing on Summoners rift comes from the brightist, almost fantasy esc feel that comes from the map, I'd hate to see the map get dulled down to dark and boring colors. q.q

This thread is about gathering ideas and input. I haven't said anything about what we could be working on, apart from the fact that I am not working on server networking. Regarding your feedback there are a couple things to consider. (Though I am half way to being an idiot-savant at engineering)

A lower contrast and more desturated color palate is much much better for combat readability especially in the ground plane. However, lower-contrast and lower saturation does not mean that the visual tone would need to be become darker at all. You can still push hue extension and arrange complements to create the feeling of bright vibrant colors without actually using a saturation level that would be harmful to gameplay. Preserving tone and improving play-ability are our highest priorities for anything we are working on.

BelligerentGnu

03-25-2014

Quote:
A lower contrast and more desturated color palate is much much better for combat readability especially in the ground plane. However, lower-contrast and lower saturation does not mean that the visual tone would need to be become darker at all. You can still push hue extension and arrange complements to create the feeling of bright vibrant colors without actually using a saturation level that would be harmful to gameplay. Preserving tone and improving play-ability are our highest priorities for anything we are working on.
See, I know the individual words in this paragraph, but I'll be damned if I can picture what you're saying.

RiotForScience

03-25-2014
73 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
See, I know the individual words in this paragraph, but I'll be damned if I can picture what you're saying.

If you picture old TT. The colors were really bright. We changed that map, and technically it has less color, but it feels more colorful because we were more careful about how we used color. Does that make sense?

exec3

03-25-2014

Quote:
If you picture old TT. The colors were really bright. We changed that map, and technically it has less color, but it feels more colorful because we were more careful about how we used color. Does that make sense?
I can't agree that it feels like more colour. I'm happy with the visuals of the map but it's very colourless imo.

RiotForScience

03-25-2014
74 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
I can't agree that it feels like more colour. I'm happy with the visuals of the map but it's very colourless imo.

TT is the only example I have, but it is not a great example since it is a deliberately dark map.

Arguably, a bag of Skittles is more colorful than a Monet, but the color works a lot better in the later example because of the careful execution of how color is used.