Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ironstryde

03-12-2014

Great thread.

I have a few thoughts.

QoL changes:

• I would love to have wall thickness more clearly defined. Seems a bit unnecessary for new players to waste time memorizing which areas can be hopped over or dashed through.
  • I would like to see terrain height more clearly defined.
  • Ward vision and line of site. I would like to see this cleaned up and more clearly defined. It seems some times that you drop wards and their vision is cut off by a corner to a greater degree than you would expect.
  • I know all might not agree with this one. I really think SR should be a horizontal map like TT. No normal sport forces one team to play the game from a more limited perspective than the other team. Keep It a diamond just shift it horizontally. I think both teams should have the same view.

Aesthetic changes:
  • I would love to see the paths and base areas have a more archaic magic/lost ruins type feel. I want it to feel like a lost arena bound by magic.
  • Though Taric may argue with me, I think the gems are too exaggerated in size. We all know they are truly outrageous, but I would love to see the Nexus and Inhibs have some smaller artifact or gem that was maybe protected by a magic field or something. Right now I think the giant gems make the structures look too cartoony and goofy.
  • I would love for the jungle to seem more wild. I personally love the current idea of having a river run through the map. It would be so awesome if the lanes looked like land bridges that ran over it or something. I think it could use some round river rocks and fish or giant salamanders. The jungle and river could both use some life.
  • I would like the jungle camps to be more defined and have a life of their own. This has already been thoroughly discussed. Each camp should feel unique to its inhabitants. A wolf den, a wraith tomb, a golem rock outcrop. You get the picture.
  • I really think it would be cool if the "jungle" looked more like an ancient forest. More ferns and ancient trees.
  • Please change the entire look of minions. Just make them more exciting and impressive to look at.
  • Finally, I know this is likely to never happen but, instead of holiday/seasonal skins. I would love to see regional skins for summoner's rift. I feel like Runeterra is such an untapped resource. I would love to see skins of SR all over the place. Yes every football field and basketball court are generally the same size. However, Madison Square garden does not look like the Staple's Center. Lambeau Field does not feel like Lucas Oil Stadium. My biggest dream for SR is to have skins in the Plague Jungles or Downtown Demacia. I want to battle in Noxian's seedy underbelly. Please give as an outlet to explore Runeterra.

Thanks for listening.

Draaaaaaavén

03-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotforscience View Post
34. Add weather ***
It would be really neat if you could also make the weather actually impact gameplay, as I've never seen this done in this style game, or really much of any (barring racing games). AoShen comes to mind?

Quote:
37. Sr needs to be symmetrical
What do you mean by this? Do you mean the vision disparity between teams?
Quote:
41. The 8-eyed wraiths seem really weird
Really weird how? Can Runeterra not have strange mystical creatures? We don't NEED things to be normal ala wolves.

Quote:
43. Baron needs a vu
Yes.

Quote:
45. Make colorblind mode the default method of play
I can see from a game dev perspective why you'd want this, but could you please leave in the ability to turn it off? I really like the original colors for teams/health bars.

As for QoL improvements of my own, I'd really like to see ward vision changes continue to improve. Nothing's more annoying than to throw a ward in my bot lane's lane bush only to place it at the edge and have the entire bush not be revealed. An enemy can sit in the far corner and be completely shrouded in fog, thus making the bush look safe because it's warded.

Cameron Woof

03-12-2014

I love this thread! I've been reading through it for a while and seeing both sides of this discussion is just awesome.

I want to say that, with no hyperbole on my part, the threat of ending up on Purple Team actually keeps me from playing PvP games. I stick solely to Bot games unless my friends drag me into one. It's a bit difficult to articulate, but Blue's progression to Purple base feels much more natural. I read left-to-right, progress bars move left-to-right, and fighting up and to the right feels like I'm moving forward, rather than down and to the left where it feels like I'm moving backwards.

Being on Blue team feels like the quintessential Summoner's Rift experience to me. Stats (while I'm a bit hesitant to talk about raw stats that I can't possibly know every angle to) seem to back this idea up, as well. If you look at Elophant's Win Rate statistics for Summoner's Rift, (http://www.elophant.com/league-of-le...n=all&tier=all) Blue wins substantially more games than Purple does--it evens out to about 55/45. The disparity gets smaller as you ascend competitive tiers, but even at Diamond, Blue still gets some advantage at 52/48.

Being on Purple feels like a detriment. The gameplay doesn't feel as natural and I think it sets up a mental disadvantage. Meanwhile, flipping the map 45 degrees would make things worse for Blue team, whose gameplay feels perfect.

I'm not sure what could be done about this, short of making Purple team play in some bizarro mirror world by flipping the map over a diagonal axis only for them (if I'm visualizing this correctly, lanes would stay the same, but the locations of creeps would be opposite, and baron/dragon would switch what side of the river they're on (but not what side of mid they're on)) but I have no clue how possible/difficult that would be from a technical perspective.

I don't just have an issue with that in SR, either--in every game mode, progressing from left to right just feels the best. Playing Purple just feels like a "somebody has to do it" job and that's not a great position to start in.

As for the Nexus Gnomes, I imagined a setup where each tower was a distinct character personality (different armors, physical features, class archetypes, etc.) and each had a Nexus Gnome detailed after it. As the towers are destroyed, the Gnomes--the Nexus' Guardians--crumble and die. Maybe the outer turrets could look either smaller in stature or less experienced, while the inner turrets bulk up and look more imposing as the second line of defense. The turrets guarding the nexus could have their weapons crossed together in defense of the Nexus.

Kinaro

03-13-2014

I'm really hoping for three things:

• That the map will be really symmetric (not a point reflection). Therefor one side has to get flipped, so blue and purple have the same jungle camps on the same side. Dragon and Baron will also be symmetric and are placed in the middle of the river. No more advantages for one side when it come to stealing.

• The colors blue and purple are to close to each other, it would be nice to have a clearer distinction between both sides.

• The map will get rotated by 45° so the camera angle is the same for both sides, similar to Twisted Treeline.

Divinicus1st

03-16-2014

I don't know if someone said that already, but make it so we can mute map's sounds separately from the rest. Actually, if we want to mute the map's sounds, we also mute all spells sounds.

And for your question: Why would you want to mute map's sounds if we rework them so they become beautiful?
Answer: Because sometimes you're on TS/mumble/ventrilo/skype/... and even if the sound is beautiful, you prefer to hear your mates than map's wind. But you still prefer to hear spells's sounds over your mates's voices.

(Today when you're jungling on SR you're kinda f*** if your mate try to tells you something and the jungle wind in your ears. And you can't remove that wind sound or abilities sound would disappear as well)

exec3

03-16-2014

@RiotForScience

I was watching OGN the other day and being stuck on medium quality because you have to pay for HD I was wondering if low quality streams was ever a factor when designing a map or content in general? What I mean is do you make sure that your art is designed to be clear and visible with low resolution streams in mind or is that not a concern?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-17-2014
70 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
@RiotForScience

I was watching OGN the other day and being stuck on medium quality because you have to pay for HD I was wondering if low quality streams was ever a factor when designing a map or content in general? What I mean is do you make sure that your art is designed to be clear and visible with low resolution streams in mind or is that not a concern?

We try to design in large graphical shapes that are clearly value-blocked. This is to improve gameplay readability in normal play. One of the side effects is that it would improve clarity in low-resolution as well. But no, we are not building with that concern in mind, it is getting resolved accidentally though.

peter1991

03-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I would like to keep this thread focused on feedback relating to SR. In that mode here are the next 15 things that people have mentioned on this thread that they would like to see improved or implemented.

47. Make Buff monsters more prominent
Make the monsters' buffs received more visually imposing

C9 is Life

03-24-2014

Riot needs to focus on their damn connection problems. Seriously.. Not trying to be a dick or anything.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

03-24-2014
71 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Riven NA View Post
Riot needs to focus on their damn connection problems. Seriously.. Not trying to be a dick or anything.
I promise that moving the Environment Art Team onto that problem is not going to get it fixed any faster.