Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kauljrhn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2014

I'd like to see more context for the minions when they spawn. Maybe little teleporter areas or even doors somewhere rather than just popping into existence. I suppose this extends to monsters and respawning champions who don't have unique respawn animations. I think a little something would be cool to help give a reason for minions to even spawn at regular intervals other than to feed gameplay and character advancement.

Crimmatic

01-24-2014

I think the nexus and home base should feel more epic and like something you want to protect. It doesn't feel like much of a tragedy if the nexus is destroyed (besides the fact that you just lost the match...).
A more unique architecture for the base and objects that are scattered around SR (torches and such) would be neat, something to give a fingerprint to who constructed everything. Feels ambiguous and somewhat forgettable right now. The only piece I really like is the home base circle with its runes.

I'd also like to see the art along the edge of the map give more context about where SR is located or just better in general.

One more note, I love that the paths are clear and easy to read.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

01-24-2014
48 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaari View Post
Is one of these things just allowing us to flip the camera? I remember the reason a Rioter gave saying why they didn't want to do this was because top and bottom lane couldn't be identified with "top" and "bot". But that was before smart pings with released.
Off the top of my head I imagine flipping the camera would be really disorienting to both new and veteran users. Always having to double check where baron/dragon are, which lane is what etc. Seems like it would be really confusing

Mandaari

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
Off the top of my head I imagine flipping the camera would be really disorienting to both new and veteran users. Always having to double check where baron/dragon are, which lane is what etc. Seems like it would be really confusing
Why? There's a minimap there. It sounds more like an "it's not what I'm used to" problem. Worst case scenario people refer to top and bottom as baron and dragon lanes. Better yet, stick something iconic like a waterfall at the ends of the rivers and they can still be referred to as top and bottom.

Even if it were disorienting I'd still say the pros way outweigh the cons. Flipping a camera is incredibly trivially easy to do and the player will never be facing down (or up) in a lane if he/she doesn't want to.

LastProtagonist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot JxE View Post
Actually you can go into LoLReplay, rotate the camera and Baron Nashor would always be on top for purple.

XxJohnnyOxX

01-24-2014

You can change the jungle look, (for example, instead of pine trees, jungle trees) you can add little animals (they are neutral, and you can't kill them, but they move while the champion walks next to them) into the jungle, you can also make the river look more like a real river, by adding animations when the champion walks over it, you could make a bridge in the middle of mid lane (so the water goes under it, and looks realistic), you can upgrade the trees that surround SR to look more realistic too, including the torches that look outdated, and give a VU to all the monsters and epic ones. That's what I think that could improve SR map. Riot please answer, nobody checks what I write... ):

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-24-2014
49 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaari View Post
Flipping a camera is incredibly trivially easy to do and the player will never be facing down (or up) in a lane if he/she doesn't want to.

Rotating the camera seems more simple than it actually is. Our game is optimized for the single camera angle, which means that any polygon not facing our camera is deleted in order to maintain performance. Additionally all of our art is also optimized for that camera, which means that each asset in the map is carefully placed to prevent characters and effects from being able to hide behind art. If we rotated the camera those assets would allow characters to hide all over the map. In Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss we really embraced this camera to make art that feels very organic by basically adding geometry to paintings. The downside of this technique is that those assets are 1-sided and do not allow much camera manipulation. However,we are continuing to explore solutions to this problem.

Mandaari

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Rotating the camera seems more simple than it actually is. Our game is optimized for the single camera angle, which means that any polygon not facing our camera is deleted in order to maintain performance. Additionally all of our art is also optimized for that camera, which means that each asset in the map is carefully placed to prevent characters and effects from being able to hide behind art. If we rotated the camera those assets would allow characters to hide all over the map. In Twisted Treeline and Howling Abyss we really embraced this camera to make art that feels very organic by basically adding geometry to paintings. The downside of this technique is that those assets are 1-sided and do not allow much camera manipulation. However,we are continuing to explore solutions to this problem.
As in back face culling or your models are statically backless (or both)? The models in game look like you can see every angle of them except the bottom, so people saying they have no back always surprises me. Would Riot consider going back to the models to put in the polygons you would see from other angles? I know that's a good chunk of work but... worth IMO. At least they're not animated.

Are you allowed to share other solutions that Riot has been considering? TBH I personally don't think I would ever be comfortable facing down. I've played with camera unlocked for 4 years and I still think it's just awkward.

And thanks for taking the time to talk about it. I can't remember the last time a Rioter even acknowledged that players were annoyed by the camera.

Mirage Night

01-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
That all fine and good, but this has been an issue for a very significant amount of time. All the way back to season 2. I can't believe all this time you guys haven't had anyone looking at this. If that is the case, your processes needs be over hauled significantly.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-25-2014
50 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Night View Post
That all fine and good, but this has been an issue for a very significant amount of time. All the way back to season 2. I can't believe all this time you guys haven't had anyone looking at this. If that is the case, your processes needs be over hauled significantly.

As I said, It is something we are working on. We definitely have a lot of people looking at it. As it is outside my area of expertise I don't feel comfortable going into deeper detail about it. I will see if I can recruit one of our designers to hop on here and comment about it.