Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Hey folks, This thread has been around for a while and I wanted to do a summary of the feedback I am hearing here. So I re-read the entire thread and made a note of each point of feedback that was given. I also noticed several highly repeated points of feedback, which I assume are the issues that are the primary areas of improvement.

Most common feedback

Minions, Monsters and Gameplay objects need a VU
The map needs to retain a lighthearted feel
The creep camps need to make sense for the monsters that live there
The river needs to make sense and feel like a river
Trees and bushes should not be so uniform, Need to be proportional to the Champions
Make Summonerís Rift fit itís lore; or make the lore fit SR.
SR should be themed for conflict.
Music should be upgraded
The map needs lots of ambient life.
SR needs to be performant on low end machines
The map gets battle scars during the match
Balance the map by rotating it 45 degrees

If there is anything that you feel is important that wasn't on this list feel free to post it here. I read everything on this thread. I am going to make several posts breaking down into deeper detail some of this feedback
I'm glad you clarified about the last 2 points, since I'm sure those are points of contention. While I don't have an opinion on the first one (cosmetic change that could probably be optional for the low end machines) I do kind of have a view about the second one.

I don't know if it's been brought up, but what about making the map orientable so you can always view the game as if you are blue side even if you are purple? I'm not speaking as an inexperienced player here, although I'm sure this change could help them out as well. I like to think of myself as a pretty experienced player and I've gone full circle from disliking purple side due to locked camera, to being ambivalent about it when I got used to non-coopvsai games, to disliking it again, this time for reasons other than locked camera. The key problem is that you can't have your camera nicely capturing both you and your enemy if you're purple side.

I think this is exhibited at its starkest in ARAM, a primarily mid lane game mode. If you run an analysis on mouse movement in higher elo ARAM games you can probably discern a difference in the number of times the mouse needs to be moved by purple side vs blue side. If I've playing varus there's a world of difference between my performance as blue side vs purple side. This carries over to SR of course, but the feeling is more diffuse because there are other lanes/other configurations where you're not just attacking from top right to bottom left.

I really hope that you're seriously considering this possibility. If not, I would settle for an option to rotate the map 45 degrees as described in your post.

Mistiya

01-23-2014

That's a pretty good list that I agree with.

For "Battle Scars" Maybe just something akin to Howling Abyss where the map reacts to player movement or events? The area between the mid-lane towers looking more torn up after both towers die, that kind of thing.

If it is not possible to rotate the map (Which I honestly don't expect you to ever do, realistically.) Could you at least clean up some of the major problem spots? In botlane there is a tower with a rounded top that exists outside of the map plane and blocks vision on a large chunk of the south botlane bush. You cannot see Champions (including your OWN Champion!), Cait/Nid traps, Wards, etc. It's VERY ANNOYING to lose vision during a heated fight due to this tower.

If you're going to redo SR, please shorten that tower so it doesn't interfere with the actual map!

Here's a picture illustrating the problem tower: http://i.imgur.com/1RrNGbF.jpg

Levik

01-23-2014

Just my opinion, but I believe that none of the monster camps should ever die. They are supposed to be formidable creatures warped by magic and they die easily many times and what brings them back anyway...? I think they should retreat in a similar way Vilemaw does when they are "defeated" and they return stronger (knowing your enemy and such). This goes especially for Baron and Dragon, it is kinda lame if Summoners could just plop them back in place since they are supposed to be so powerful even if death is weird during League matches. Make the wolves go back into a cave, Dragon fly away, Baron return to its worm hole. Something to make the jungle feel special, formidable, and alive.

Jeaneroe

01-23-2014

Quote:
Hi, I have alternate solution/suggestion for this. I think everyone can agree with me that it is much easier to play on the blue side than the purple side. So, what I'm thinking is what if both colored teams had the ability to play from the bottom left?

Basically, players on the purple side will have the choice to mirror their screen for the game, so they show up on the bottom left instead of the top right!

When it comes down to spectating, maybe even the spectator can have the possibility of mirroring the screen too.

GlimpseOfRaccoon

01-23-2014

The minimap should have different colors, to fit the map, just like in twisted treeline. So the patterns in the map are more aprehensible and seeing where you are located is more effective. When i started the game the map didn't help me learn the patters as it was all brown, and i didnt knew what was walls or just a place you could walk.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R7ZL2Dfieg...s-map-tezh.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Pi7YSq2rSt.../s1600/map.png

Get on the Ball

01-23-2014

You should flip the golems around to improve jungle routes. I jungle quite often and I rarely take golems because of how out of the way they are. This would help junglers make a better impact on the game I feel. Just a suggestion ^.^

KunehoKun

01-23-2014

Maybe rotation of the map 45 degrees can be one of the experimental modes? Or maybe even experiment on a mode where it's 3v3 on rift, and each laner can micro-manage their lane's creep wave to a basic extent?

RegisKuro

01-23-2014

I find that the Nexus it self should represent the summoners connecting to they're respective champions and be remade with 5 summoner statues instead of 6 and each should 'light up' only when the summoner itself connects.. let's say we're doing a 2v2 then only 2 statues light up or 1 player dc then his statue turns off.. just an idea

Izara

01-23-2014

I'm pretty sure this idea was already presented beforehand, but I am for an addition of one duck to the river that will swim up and down and occasionally walk through midlane to the other side of the river. Duck shouldn't run from champions and therefore not alert say midlane of an incoming gank. Duck also does not provide vision but can?be seen swimming through the fog of war.

I feel like this a top priority.

SpyCloak

01-24-2014

Quote:
Don't do it. This map is great.
Just rotate purple camera 90 degrees, starting from bottom right.