Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReverseShadow

07-30-2013

Personally, id love to see mid lane have some sort of vents/grates near its intersection with the river. I would even go as far to suggest making the center area of mid lane a sort of bridge, although I don't know how it would work out with the shrubs on either side as well as player movement on/off the lane from the river to the bridge. Maybe make it some sort of suspended boardwalk with steps or something, idk. Right now though the river just hits mid lane, ends, then resumes, and it looks and feels a bit weird to me. Maybe you could just add waterfalls on either side of the "river", and make them separate pools of water instead of one river?

Also, the water itself I feel needs a bit of work. Its currently super-stagnate looking; maybe a few visual effects or touch-ups to make it feel more river like.

Kinaro

07-30-2013

Please make SR really symmetric not just a (pseudo) point reflection.

In this thread I quoted someone who did great work thinking about a concept for a new SR map:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3306615

Check out the pictures!

Brzink

07-30-2013

Quote:
AbyssionKnight:
As far as the river goes, I think an interesting idea would be to make it a river completely through the map.

Take the shallow water texture you have now and put that on what's currently the lanes. Then make a 'deeper' looking texture for the rest of the river. Then, instead of shoving bridges or what not onto the map (since I personally think it's awkward walking off the sides of a bridge / back up the side of the bridge when exiting / entering a lane from the side, you have natural fords in the river that are points of contention instead.

Since summoners rift in general looks ancient and rundown, mid lane could have sort of a 'collapsed bridge' kind of feel. That way those torches currently there kind of make more sense, and the worn down and mostly nonexistent path that exists down midlane doesn't just awkwardly end at a ford, which really wouldn't make much sense.

The only challenge with that would be the difference between the 'deeper' river water and the shallows of the fords.

I doubt you could make characters 'sink' into the water or what not, as that'd probably screw up older machines running the game etc, but I think it'd still be cool.

If there is physical depth to the scene the characters should technically go down with it, as long as the unit collision isn't on the water layer itself, but I still have very little experience in scene development and game design, wish I would have followed my passion. (The only issue that may come from a physical depth is that smaller champions would be shrouded by the water textures depending on the overlay)

Pyrexial

07-30-2013

Given the nature of Summoner's Rift and the fact that it's meant to be a battleground for warrior's of tremendous power, I feel if the map were to ever be aesthetically updated it should look at least a little war-torn. Perhaps the area just outside baron and dragon could be scarred in some way. Little indications of skirmishes throughout the map would be a really nice touch.

Pyrexial

07-30-2013

Quote:
Ket:
More interaction with the trees, perhaps ?
That may be a visual issue, but how about instead of champions going over the trees, they go through them ? When using a skill to go through them yourself, they would rustle and wobble a little.

But when forcing a enemy through/against the trees through use of skills that use knockback, they would violently shake and sounds of cracking wood would be heard, along with perhaps the affected champion having leaves and twigs all over them for a short time ?

I love the idea of Graves quickdrawing through the jungle and hearing the rustling of brushes, or Lee Sin Dragon's Raging someone through the trees and hearing twigs snap or bark peel. However, as much as I love this idea, I fear this might add too much visual and audio clutter during teamfights, making them harder to follow.

WoefulMe

07-30-2013

I like several of the posted ideas; I also think it would be neat if the purple side and the blue side of SR were different cosmetically, rather than just being swaps. If blue side were to be, I don't know, still a forest, but purple side were to be a dilapidated, abandoned town, that would be pretty amazing.

I also think that the two sides should have different architecture inside the bases, such that purple nexus and inhibs feel distinctly different from blue side, the same could be said for the turrets.

Finally, I think it would be amazing if there could be some Bastion-esque narration for taking objectives/kills/etc. Having a less static narrator would really further the storyline elements, imo.

BlueWallpaper

07-30-2013

I think the biggest problem with SR by far is that it doesn't change. Whilst I'm not saying we need a special one off holiday environments it would be amazing if it changed with the seasons. I would happily pay plenty of RP for a winter SR.

rastarogue

07-30-2013

I just went in to a custom cranked all of the graphics options up and took a look around, here are my thoughts:
Small creeps look weird.
The small wolves seemed to have bits of purple on them what gives?
Why does the large wraith have like 8 eyes, is it a relative of master yi?

The spikes on the back of red buff look completely pasted on, almost decorative given that they are a different colour from the rest of him.
Baron needs a makeover.
I never quite understood why there were very flat flowers on the ground in some spots of the map
I wish the bushes moved at all.

xDialtone

07-30-2013

If you plan to visually update it, I think a great feature would be to add different models of SR into the game.

Make it exactly the same map (with mob placements and everything), but with different visuals like Magma chamber. Make the tree lines gagged cliffs, the ground hardened obsidian and lava with the river looking cracked open with hot lava/magma under it poking out.

Make different areas of the world, we have no interaction the lore and world of LoL outside of summoners rift. You could make maps of the jungle's that Kha, Rengar, Nidalee, and Teemo came from/go to. The map layout will look exactly the same as SR, just different visuals and you would randomly join one when in Queue.

Other ideas for map types:
Volcanic (look above and magma chamber Textures)
Jungle (make the map more 'wild', dangerous looking)
Ice (use the snow textures and frost bushes in HF)
Beach (have reeds for bushes )
Spooky/Haunted (using textures from TT)
Cities (Make maps themed around the factions)

EDIT: Another idea you could do is sell these as map 'Skins' like you did you ward, people could buy them VIA RP and select the map skin they wish to play on.

EDIT2: A huge thing for me is how the map actually is, I feel bad playing on purple entirely because of the camera angle (i know others do to) and just making the map turn 45 degrees so that the game moves horizontal instead of diagonal.

Izzabelle

07-30-2013

Riot pls! This is too cool to not use as a base for Summoner's Rift

Hopefully all the suggestions here can be combined into some sort of super epic 5v5 battle arena

SR.jpg