Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

arkhammer

12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I partially agree with this. I think it needs to look like something. At the moment it is called "the River" primarily as a holdover from the nomenclature of previous MOBAs. Just like the "Jungle" is called a jungle even though it is a pine forest. Right now the river doesn't feel like a river, it also doesn't feel like a stream or a pond it mostly feels like a bluish area on our map. I would be happy with it being anything, including it not even being a body of water. The important thing is that it looks deliberate and identifiable.
I'm telling you--we need a Noxus vs. Demacia map, where purple part is Demacia, blue part is Noxus (or it can be Bilgewater, Piltover, Ionia, etc.). The river part of a map is a broken, trench-style battlefield-border between the two nations. It'd have barbed wire-covered Czech hedgehogs, smokey atmosphere, and dirt-covered scorched earth. On the one side, clearly a Noxian forest leading to a Noxian shop area. On the other, clearly Demacian nation, with its complementary jungle and shop.

There could be so much variation on the detail, nations on either side, etc....all at the cost of a lot of art assets. =D

Fikule

12-11-2013

I know this isn't map design, but going back to the camera thing, is there no possibility of simply making it so both the blue and the purple team fight bottom to top?

i.e. Smite style, the game alters your camera angle based on your team, so you are always fighting in the same direction.

Obviously not possible now, but if you're redesigning the map...

Fikule

12-11-2013

Oh, also, I know you guys are talking about skins, etc for the maps and how hard it would be to use them (i.e. you can't really sell a map skin and have everyone see it).

Why not make the new skins something more ceremonial? A new major map skin per season (possibly on a rotation in future seasons). "Welcome to season 5! For this year, the summoners are doing battle in X".

I mean, once the map is final and able to utilize skins, you can have the major, season skin, and the smaller event skins (halloween, xmas, made-up-holiday-Y)

rdiddy1551

12-11-2013

Summoners Rift is an arena right? I think it would be cool to have some sort of walls, ruins or other form of obstacles surrounding the map rather than a simple wall of pine trees holding back these powerful champions from the world around them. You would think aside from being somewhat secluded the field would be heavily protected with all the magic and dangerous creatures in there.

exec3

12-11-2013

Personally i'd like to keep the river as a river mainly because it would add some visual variety to the map.

Another thing I was thinking about lately was the team bases, they're very empty and flat, devoid of any interesting obstacles or visual marks in the fighting area. Any ideas or thoughts on whether this should be changed or not? Even if it was just moving Nexus/spawn a bit closer towards mid tower so that we don't get that giant empty space.

Calderweiss

12-11-2013

what if the rivers were actually running and wherever the running water touched a champion leg there would be little splashes or diversions in the flow?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

12-12-2013
40 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikule View Post
Oh, also, I know you guys are talking about skins, etc for the maps and how hard it would be to use them (i.e. you can't really sell a map skin and have everyone see it).

Why not make the new skins something more ceremonial? A new major map skin per season (possibly on a rotation in future seasons). "Welcome to season 5! For this year, the summoners are doing battle in X".

I mean, once the map is final and able to utilize skins, you can have the major, season skin, and the smaller event skins (halloween, xmas, made-up-holiday-Y)

This would be pretty cool, and a great way to tie in a greater ever-evolving lore concept. Like this year Noxus tried to invade Bandle City, Join with the invaders or the defenders in the conflict. The next year another conflict could break out elsewhere in a perpetually changing map of Runeterra. It could be really fun. We did something like that with the Howling-Abyss event, This would just be a perpetual tie in on a much larger scale. The idea definitely has a lot of potential, thanks for suggesting it.

PsychoB0b

12-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This would be pretty cool, and a great way to tie in a greater ever-evolving lore concept. Like this year Noxus tried to invade Bandle City, Join with the invaders or the defenders in the conflict. The next year another conflict could break out elsewhere in a perpetually changing map of Runeterra. It could be really fun. We did something like that with the Howling-Abyss event, This would just be a perpetual tie in on a much larger scale. The idea definitely has a lot of potential, thanks for suggesting it.
I think this is a great idea, and could allow for some really interesting lore interactions as well. Full support on it.

Warriorman21

12-12-2013

How about, after a champion dies, when the champion respawns (the corpse disappears), a small patch of flowers is left in that position colored blue or purple depending on team affiliation (similar to the small, almost unnoticeable flowers around SR)?

exec3

12-12-2013

I feel like it would be better to create new maps based on different lore events. The strain the art team would be put on recreating SR every year would be immense i'd imagine (how long has this current update been going for and how much longer until it's finished for example) and that would be resources being taken away from other potential maps or projects (dominion might be needing a lot of art love depending on how comprehensive its remake is going to be), not to mention the seasonal skins. :P